Author Topic: 5 months without votw  (Read 6151 times)

dimensions

5 months without votw
« on: December 12, 2012, 05:26:33 pm »
I just noticed on the dcavotw feed the last video (by Pieter) was posted 5 MONTHS ago!

I (and hopefully the rest of d.ca) would like an update

P.s if spryoyable looks at this post I would like to know why you didn't choose my "kendabolo" video

P.ps sorry that its in the videos section, I thought it was in general!
Subscribe escapees6 on youtube it's me!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/escapees6

Scharling

• VotW Contributor
Re: 5 months without votw
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 07:11:23 pm »
P.s if spryoyable looks at this post I would like to know why you didn't choose my "kendabolo" video
My simple explanation is simple.. Your clip did properly not meet the demands of a VotW..

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 07:46:58 pm »
My simple explanation is simple...

Scharling

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:57:28 pm »

Sarcasm really doesn't work well when written, does it?

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 08:01:21 pm »
Yeah you're right and sorry, but I had to do that

spryoyabe

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 08:36:44 pm »
I have not been receiving many submissions of late and therefore there has not been a new votw in months. As for your submission, I thought I responded to you but if I did not please understand that I do in fact check every single votw submission. If you do not see it uploaded to the channel, it is frankly because your submission did not meet the standards that we have come to expect. Sorry if there was some confusion.

But anyway, EVERYONE SHOULD SEND ME SOME VIDEOS!!!!

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 08:54:01 pm »
I think I'll send you a votw, I have one trick in mind...

spryoyabe

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 01:19:12 am »
I think I'll send you a votw, I have one trick in mind...

Looking forward to it  :-D

Icebox

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 02:59:31 am »
If you received say 20 submissions in one week, would you space those out into the coming weeks? Or do you only take submissions from that week? I've always wondered how the submissions process worked behind the scenes. Because if it works the first way it would encourage people to send in multiple submissions, and it would also give us a 'stockpile' of videos.

spryoyabe

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 03:04:46 am »
If you received say 20 submissions in one week, would you space those out into the coming weeks? Or do you only take submissions from that week? I've always wondered how the submissions process worked behind the scenes. Because if it works the first way it would encourage people to send in multiple submissions, and it would also give us a 'stockpile' of videos.

Yeah if I received a ton of videos in one week I would only upload 1 video that week and space out the others over time.

Icebox

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 03:29:14 am »
Yeah if I received a ton of videos in one week I would only upload 1 video that week and space out the others over time.
Ok, if that's the case then I guess the submissions situation is a lot worse than I thought... I'll see if I have anything lying around on my camera ;)

spryoyabe

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 04:41:36 am »
Ok, if that's the case then I guess the submissions situation is a lot worse than I thought... I'll see if I have anything lying around on my camera ;)

haha thank you. Much appreciated!

dimensions

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 04:11:49 pm »
If you do not see it uploaded to the channel, it is frankly because your submission did not meet the standards that we have come to expect
You didn't send me a message by email or on the votw
And can you tell me about what the expectations are!?!

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 04:36:47 pm »
You didn't send me a message by email or on the votw
And can you tell me about what the expectations are!?!

Listen, I will put this as nicely as I can. The expectation is to present a video that is worth of the whole community to watch, a video that shows something smart or impressive and most importantly something that nobody has seen before. The tricks don't necessarily have to be hard, so long as they are something that somebody would like to watch or learn.

Also, do you expect Spryo to reply to EVERY video he gets? Even if he does then he just could have missed out your one out by accident.

One more thing that diabolo.ca expects is people being treated equally, the diabolo community is actually very peaceful compared to the ball juggling community simply because there is less rivalry. The last we want on this blog is for people to start questioning why their so called "amazing" trick hasn't been posted on its YouTube channel.

I like the fact that you bring some life to this forum but so far as I remember you have to be 13 to join the Diabolo.ca forum, and it's for this very reason. If you are 13 or above then I'm sorry but that's also why it helps to show your age on your profile.

Wis

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 04:51:44 pm »
Well Ronnie, I think it would be nice to have a reply for all the videos that anybody sends. I assume that the amount of videos is not that big to be overloaded by it. But I can be wrong. I know that Internet is not the best place to look for reinforcement and so on, but I would like this forum to be a place where it actually happens. Feedback is essential for that.

Btw, there are some things that can be solved via PM, nobody likes to be shouted at in public. ;)

@dimensions: http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?page=votwsubmit
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

dimensions

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 04:53:17 pm »
keep your hair on ronnie!!!

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 05:14:44 pm »
ok, sorry for losing my temper but you phrased your question in a very selfish way, and you can't deny that

maxmaestro

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 05:30:21 pm »
PM!
also @dimensions your first question i would have suggested should have  been a pm straight to spryoyabe as it's not something the whole forum has to know about.

thanks guys :)
keep it calm keep it cool
and keep spinning 8)

dimensions

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 05:37:40 pm »
ok, sorry for losing my temper but you phrased your question in a very selfish way, and you can't deny that
I wasn't thinking much
Sorry
Ok, this is the last about the argument

spryoyabe

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 08:50:15 pm »
Well Ronnie, I think it would be nice to have a reply for all the videos that anybody sends.

I agree with you completely. I do try to reply to every single one and if I dont it is most likely a technical error. I remember typing up a reply to you similar to what I posted above but I must have made a mistake and it did not send by accident. So it is fair to expect a response for every submission. That being said, it would have been best for you to just pm me. Dont worry about it though  ;)

Graham Milligan

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 12:31:58 am »
i would think that main problem with votw recently is that most people are now saving up all their good, new, fancy, shiny tricks for videos that they are making and editing themselves. or at this time of year keeping them all for collabs.
Some Craic!

Icebox

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 02:10:22 am »
Even so, 5 months is a long time. We haven't been in the collab season the whole time. Even if it's a long term project, there will always be some tricks which are cool, fun, and interesting, but just don't fit into a video project. Those are tricks for VotW; going this long without submissions is a little ridiculous, since it really isn't that hard to film and submit a trick (and if it's a leftover trick that was filmed, half of that is already done). I'm guilty of it too, since I never really take a break from diaboloing, so I've always got some ideas bouncing around my head.

Maybe it's time to revamp the process for VotW. What if it worked as an obligation, where people sign up for a certain week of the year, and have an obligation to have a trick for that week? We could have sign-ups each month, and maybe this way we could even have multiple people in a week and have a mini-collab for each week.

Sorry about the long, only-slightly-on-topic post, I didn't mean to ramble on as long as I did.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 09:42:19 am »
I've been so busy this Christmas with all the shows that I haven't been able to even practice. Let alone submit any votws. What I do have is some old votw submissions that didn't make it ;) Is there a topic for tricks that didn't make the cut?

I'll try to film another set of ten tricks again once I get some practice time. But it won't happen this year...
┬źDiabolo, whiter than the whitest!┬╗

Graham Milligan

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 12:41:57 pm »
fair point, well made.
i like the idea of maybe a minicollab every couple of months and then a big one at the end of the year with all the best tricks wee saw throughout the year + any new ones that are sent in. id also be up for sending in sone tricks but at the minute there is nowhere to practise in my house because of low ceilings and is pretty much raining every single day in belfast so no outside playing either. i wish some hobo would lend me their derylict building!
Some Craic!

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 12:43:06 pm »
I have actually got some new stuff i could put forward, i'll sort it out over Christmas.
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.