Author Topic: Diabig / Yoho Jumbo  (Read 43791 times)

Hoop

Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« on: September 23, 2005, 10:22:48 pm »
Sorry if this has been discussed, I did search this one.  Where can I get ahold of some Diabig?  I have seen pictures of them with what appear to be transluscent shells, like what is on the diabglo. (Incidentally, does anyone know upon what kind of diabolo the diabglos are built?)  Is the diabig the same as the yoho jumbo?  I want the fixed axle and in the cool colors!

Matt_

• Donator
Re: Diabig
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 10:47:57 pm »
Quote from: Hoop
Is the diabig the same as the yoho jumbo?

that's what the consensus seems to be; personally i havent verified since i havent tried either.

but if you want to buy one, go here: http://www.diaboloshop.co.uk/

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 11:10:00 pm »
Yes they are the same, Yoho make jumbos, Bandai bought the rights to make them, and then called them Diabigs.
White are NOT available any more, Bandai made them for a while (and Ryo has a bunch [grrrr]).
diaboloshop.co.uk doesnt distribute them anymore, and is UK based (but thats irrelevent because they dont deal with YoHo anymore)

the american one would be Higgins Brothers, but their website doesnt seem to have Jumbo's on, so count them out aswell.

That leaves Naranja in Japan (but a knowledge of Japanese is needed) Or ofcourse the original YoHo. I havn't managed to track down a place that actually sells the Bandai versions, but i'm on it.

Hope that sheds some light.

Matt_

• Donator
Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 08:03:42 am »
wow i didnt know naranja had em, well that's interesting, they have glow in the dark. i dont get why the clear glow in the dark adn the purple one are lighter though...

the regular glow in the dark one is expensive, but it looks pretty sweet...this might be a future buy.

Hoop

Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 09:07:30 pm »
Cool, thanks Norbi.  Do you know which ones are the clear type?  I have seen a picture of Makky with a couple of clear ones on the DIA members page website.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 10:06:42 pm »
I'm thinking of getting some yoho's sean said he had some maybe he could shed some light on where to get them from?
Behind your back is your front.

Sean

• Administrator
Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 11:39:33 pm »
Quote from: guppygould
I'm thinking of getting some yoho's sean said he had some maybe he could shed some light on where to get them from?

http://yoho.com.au/ :)

I love them, but the quality control on the alignment isn't great. I ended up balancing them with metal washers. Even with shipping and duty taxes 3 yoho jumbos ended up cheaper than 3 circuses or finesses.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 12:05:37 am »
Yeah i love them too, but still dont have them. Because i have been doing my research on the availability of white ones. Now that i know i cant get them (and when i have spare money) i'll get some glow ones.

Sorry, i dont know about clear ones, again this could be a Bandai exclusive, i havent tracked down a site that sells the Bandai versions.
This website might interest you, it has diabglo's (did you ask about them?) which are also clear, even if you dont like the glowing capabilities.

Hoop

Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 12:20:28 am »
I have a pair of diabglos.  They are fine, it's just that the cups are not as rigid as the diabigs appear to be.  Even on Bandai's website, I cannot find anything about diabolos.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 04:43:08 pm »
I've just been looking through all my fedc videos and I was just wondering... some of the diabolos are yellow on the inside of the cup, are these yoho's. Secondly Sean, would you ever prefer yohos to a circus or a finesse?

I think they could be on santa's list this year.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 07:31:51 pm »
Why only Sean? I have experience with all 3.  I prefer the Diabig to either of the other 2.

Chiok

• Donator
Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 08:38:45 pm »
I gotta say, every Japanese person seems to use the Diabigs and they're all awesome.  I wanted to try out Tempei's white Diabigs at Bristol, but he had just packed them away unfortunately :( but they must definitely rock.  I'm such MB and Henrys ship to Japan, so it can't be a lack of options thing.  I would want a hard plastic 5inch diabolo, hate how string sometimes sticks to the my Finesse cups.  

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 09:30:16 pm »
Sorry Norbi (Forgot that you had used them a bit), Sean owns them all so I thought he may have had a bit more time to play with them and see if they have any problems e.g axles coming looseor getting scratched e.t.c.

Its good to here that you prefer them though,

Sean

• Administrator
Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 10:47:36 pm »
Quote from: guppygould
Secondly Sean, would you ever prefer yohos to a circus or a finesse?

I'll copy what I wrote that is hidden up in the equipment sticky:

-------------
I recently obtained 3 yoho jumbos/diabigs directly from Yoho. Here are my experiences:

-a bit taller and heavier than henrys circuses with teflon axles
-quite stable
-easiest diabolos for sprinklers and 3 diabolos (but see note below on alignment problems)
-if you have a good feeling for the difference between finesses and circuses, well the yoho is the same difference again from the circuses - so finesse is to circus as circus is to diabig, they are a bit more stable than circuses but also feel a bit less precise or a bit softer
-the slippery plastic cup material makes corrections with 2 or 3 diabolos easier than with other diabolos
-if 2 diabolos touch each other it's easier to recover because the cups are slippery and smooth
-the axle is grooved
-the edges are very, very, very sharp... we're talking lethal sharp. I have gashes on my fingers and ankles that kept bleeding for a long time. I worry that my yohos could slit my wrists if I was unlucky  :shock: (time to break out the sandpaper)
-BIG problem - none of them stay straight. This is very noticeable. The only other experience I have with a friends set of Yohos was the same - his 2 weren't aligned the same either. It only takes about 10 seconds of a shuffle before all 3 or 2 are badly aligned. I can't figure out how to go about fixing this.

So there you go. Except for the fact that quality control on the alignment seemed low they are excellent diabolos. However, unless I can fix the alignment problem they are almost useless.
-------------

And in conclusion, I did manage to fix the alignment problem with a variety of metal washers. They're up there with the finesses and circuses... it comes down to personal preference - do you like a fast responsive but slightly unstable diabolo or a slow stable diabolo that spins for a long time but feels a bit soft. Think about whether you like finesses or circuses. If you already much prefer finesses over circuses, then it's unlikely you're going to like yohos. If you already like circuses then you may like yohos even more.

Oh, and don't forget that they always look clean.  8)

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 09:09:49 pm »

nev

• Donator
Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 09:54:39 pm »
nice detective work there Guppy.  Now just to work out how to order from that site.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Ben

• VotW Contributor
Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 12:21:04 am »
i was about to order from them but changed my mind at the last second.. but they were pritty flexable with english speakers i just emailed them and they said i could order threw email in english and then fax creditcard info

they also have white short carbons at that site

Chiok

• Donator
Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 09:09:30 am »
Wow, awesome, well done indeed.  How did you come across that?  I'm sure everything anyone could ever want can be found on some Asian site somewhere...

Didn't know the Diabig came with a choice of axle colour too, that's quite nifty.  And I agree, it's impossible to read the website.  But good find.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Scooby

Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 02:12:21 pm »
Whats there email?

I am going to use all of my "reserve" money to get these diabolos    I Need Them!!!!

Thank you on finding this site!!!
------------------------------------------------
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!
------------------------------------------------

Sean

• Administrator
Diabig / Yoho Jumbo
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 04:04:56 pm »
Very cool - thanks for the inside scoop. I've checked this site for about a year I think, but the white ones were never available. My understanding was that production of them had been stopped. Not any more I guess. Yay!

Edit - If you view the page through a tanslator (or speak Japanese), the site says that white is a new colour for 2005. I think it also says something about "carbon accelerator strength" which now improves durability? Did they change the Yoho design this year?

Matt! Help!

Edit #2 - I found the email address:
hoyu "at" lyra.vega.or.jp

In terms of price, 3200 yen translates roughly to $32 CDN, $27 USD, 23 euro, 16 pounds, or (edit->) $37 AUD.