Author Topic: Camcorder....yes but which one  (Read 21931 times)

Testiflette

Camcorder....yes but which one
« on: September 29, 2005, 01:54:45 pm »
Hi guys,

Christmas is coming (starting to be chilly out there). This year I have a long list to send to Santa (he he sacre Papa Noel), but besides the two circus I sooooo want (You're right Tahia those two jazz are far too small) I was thinking of offering myself (I am not sure about Santa anymore) a camcorder and start making some videos. What do you reckon about it. Do I need to eat pastas for the next year or so and splash out all my hard earned cash in something very fancifull or do more affordable stuff do well.  Any suggestion is welcome. Sorry if this subject has been treated alraedy (I haven't found anything in the equipment thread).

PS: I intend to do poi and staff video too so if anyone does know about something "diabolists only" don't please feel free to share your expertise.

Thanks
Quand le Jazz est..quand le Jazz est la.
La Java s'en...la Java s'en va

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 08:41:15 pm »
If your plans for your vids are just to chuck em online then you may as well just go for a budget cam like me, the only difference I find the expensive ones will make in this area is you'll be able to include some fancy optical zooming.

Of course if you're wanting high quality picture you can copy to DVD and create a vast array of top quality movies with it then feel free to flash your cash to a top notch camera store.

My thoughts.

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 05:24:13 pm »
Yes, I say go cheap, too.
I just paid $80 for this little gizmo that makes AVI movies. It's a DXG 202V purchased at Target. Then I got a $30 memory card.
 It's awesome. And makes perfectly good little movies.

Testiflette

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 05:40:26 pm »
Cheers guys.

Much appreciated
Quand le Jazz est..quand le Jazz est la.
La Java s'en...la Java s'en va

Roysta

frame rate?
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 05:50:34 pm »
How are camcorders for frame rate?  I've tried taking videos with pocket digicams that record 15 frames / second, and they're so jerky that you can barely tell what's going on.

I just got a camera that does 30 frames / second, which is much better.  A friend has one that will do 60 frames / second (but only 30 seconds at a time) which is awesome for slow-mo.

Sometimes it's useful to record yourself trying a trick and then review it to see what went wrong.

What framerate to camcorders typically support?

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 11:55:25 pm »
depends on where you live, and whether you get one that does interlaced or progressive capture.

you (we) live in the US, so that's 29.97 FPS...basically, 60 interlaced FPS. once you deinterlace them so you can watch it smoothly, it's 30 fps. unless you're going to spend a bunch of money, your videocamera is going to be interlaced.

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
Re: Camcorder....yes but which one
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 05:44:51 pm »
I know this topic is old but I don't want to clutter...

I was thinking about just shooting the sun and getting a Canon HV20... but I'm not sure I need that much power.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 01:00:04 am »
Filming the sun is generally a bad idea as it will mess up your white-balancing sensor and break the camera unless you use a whole set of filters or film the sun indirectly.  In which case any camera will be fine, prices are falling so you can get yourself a real bargain from Amazon or somewhere.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Martijn

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 01:35:18 am »
While we're on it... I recently purchased a Sony HDR-SR7, and boy what a sweet puppy!
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 08:09:34 pm »
whoops, my bad, I meant shooting for the sun, as in the best I could buy really :-X ;D I feel noob anyways would an entry level camera do fine or should I invest in a better one

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 03:37:05 am »
Well, I just purchased a Canon HV20 HD Mini-DV Camcorder! It should be here Tuesday, or Wednesday... the two features I thought were the best was the 24p and Cinema modes, imagine a HD Diabolo Video that looks like it was shot for the big screen (obviously consumer camcorders can only go so far)! ;D

Beni

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 04:33:58 pm »
SOrry for resurrecting this thread, but...

Is HD worth getting? Most of the recorders I've been considering are 640x480 — is this resolution good for a quality full screen video?

Beni

nev

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 10:34:37 pm »
SOrry for resurrecting this thread, but...

Is HD worth getting? Most of the recorders I've been considering are 640x480 — is this resolution good for a quality full screen video?

Beni

640x480 is only VGA resolution - this is what most half decent still digital cameras will put out on video.  Virtually all digital (mini DV or DVD) camcorders will be capable of recording 720X480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL (standard DVD resolution). HD camcorders are a higher resolution. 

For an internet video, you'll probably be compressing down the file size anyway so 640x480 would be more than fine as long as its 25-30fps in its original form.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 03:42:16 pm »
I need some advice so I hope you guys can provide me some!

Last holiday I worked quite a lot so I can spend some/a lot of money :P I saw that Media Markt is selling this camera for €279. I'm an absolute camcorder-novice but the me it seems like an o.k. HDD-camera for a good price. (I am not looking for a top-notch camcorder, just a cheap easy to use one).

Help me out! Is this a decent camera (price-quality wise)?

''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

Toby

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 04:09:45 pm »
That looks like a more than ample camera for they job. I dont understand all the stats cos its in dutch but i would say it would be perfectly addiquate for what you want it for.

Martijn

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 12:21:27 pm »
Last year, I bought the Sony HDR-SR7 (which was then about 1200 euros, now it dropped to a little above 900) and I love it. A year later, their HDR-SR line has changed a bit. Now you can choose from SR10, SR11 or SR12, where the old models are SR5, SR7, SR8 and the SR1. I'm not sure what your budget is. If you don't have a lot to spend, I'd say get the cheapest one.The differences between models are not always worth their money. Have a look around for the price ranges and on www.sony.nl

Anyway, the HDR-SR7 records on an internal hard disk, which is awesome, because you don't need to mess around with tapes (I have had too many problems with broken tapes and unusable footage - it drives you insane). This also brings a new problem though - raw footage is huge. So the camera stores the footage compressed. That might be a disadvantage, because you don't get full quality, but it's done so well, that you probably won't see the difference. I quite like it, because it saves a lot of space on my computer and you can record for a few hours straight (depending on the size of the harddisk and the video quality you set it to).

You can record in both SD (Standard Definition) and HD. It stores SD in a highly compressed mpeg-2 format, which makes the filesize really tiny, yet with great quality. Most editing software are designed to work with raw avi files, so depending on the software you use, editing might be a bit less smooth. If you're using Sony Vegas or Final Cut Pro it shouldn't be a problem I reckon. I still work in Sony Vegas and I'm not experiencing any big problems. Sometimes it drops frames in the preview window while editing, but you're not going to see when you export your project.

It stores HD video in AVCHD. Keep in mind that your computer needs a lot of power to edit HD video in realtime.

Another feature is that it uses the new CMOS chip instead of the traditional 3 CCD chips. Have a google on it, I'm not sure if either is 'better' - it should be pretty similar. EDIT - just saw that the JVC camera you spoke about only has one CCD chip. Definitely go for a camera that uses either 3CCD chips or a CMOS sensor.

In short, this camera is not your average semi-pro camera, because it uses quite some new technology, but if it meets your demands and you don't mind switching software (if necessary), I'd say get one. I also prefer Sony over JVC, mainly because of the beautiful, bright colors Sony cameras captures.

I hope that made sense :P If it didn't, blame my hangover. Good luck with your choice. It's a great investment, so maybe go for the extra mile and have a few extra years of fun with your new camera!

nev

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 12:44:42 pm »
Can't really go wrong with a Sony
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 04:10:49 pm »
I would go for Canon since they're releasing 2nd generation of their cameras from this year in october so the prices of their 1st generations will go down even more. So I can get an HD solid state camera for probably $600 by the end of the year

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 08:11:45 pm »
Thanks a lot for the (huge pile of) info! :)

I will have a look for a ''cheap'' HDD-cam and pay attention to the CCD/CMOS-chip/sensor stuff. I won't go for High Definition etc. (yet) since it will be my first camcorder. It's only for fooling around a little (holidays, trips, a little diabolo perhaps, the usual stuff) so I don't need a super slick HD cam. Now I know I'll have to pay attention to sensor/chip-stuff so that's great since I hadn't really found that info using google (couldn't really find a good ''3rd-party'' site at all, with some pointers on buying a camcorder).

Will also keep Sony and Canon in mind, good to know that those are thrust-worthy brands.

O, and thanks for the file-size/type info. I'd already seen that mpeg-2 was used with most HDD-cams but I didn't really know what filetypes etc. are most commonly used/easy-to-use. I also haven't used ''real'' editing software before so that isn't something I have any experience with either ::) But I guess is better to choose a cam and then see what software might be good than the other way around.

Thanks again!

EDIT- Are people really using Final Cut Pro/Vegas Pro? Or is this a matter of buying it versus ''buying'' it? (If you know what I mean...)

EDIT2- How important is this CMOS(/3CCD) stuff? Is is significant(ly?) better than 1 CCD? Had a look on google and CMOS(/3CCD)-cams seem to start at ~€650. I was actually thinking about €400 max ::)

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 08:52:02 pm »
the files i upload from my HD camcorder are so crisp, but thats not worth it. a lot of the websites i would like to put my files on are really not compatable with the file types...its all very confusing so i would say to stick to a regular old camcorder ;D
can't believe its not butter

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 08:38:14 pm »
Marijn you might love this =D

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-HF100-Definition-Camcorder-Stabilized/dp/B00114162K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1222630271&sr=1-3

Check it out it has a quality CMOS sensor it's High Definition and Solid State. All for only 600 USD or 410 EUR ;) But you have to buy a Mini SD card 8GB gives you more or less 1 hour of recording the 16GB card gives you more or less 2 hours but what's great is that those cards are cheaper than getting the camera with internal memory ;) It's about as big as a 12 oz soda can and the battery life is only about an hour.

Martijn

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 09:42:06 pm »
The Sony "Standard Definition on hard disk" camcorders fit better in your budget. They range from €300 to €600. The Sony DCR-SR35, DCR-SR55 and DCR-SR75 use one CCD chip. The DCR-SR210 uses a CMOS sensor, but is the most expensive model in the series.

The difference between 1CCD and 3CCD/CMOS is pretty big and definitely worth the money though. You'll see in the collab video how the colors in for example Sean's clips (shot with his 3CCD camera) will look so vivid compared to some the other clips. Have a look at some examples.

I wouldn't go for tape, memory sticks or dvds for recording. That's maybe just me though.

Good luck with your choice ;D

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 10:19:43 pm »
Thanks Eric for noticing that. The fact that is it hasn't got a HDD and I'll have to buy mircoSD's makes it a bit too expensive for my taste - I'm not really that eager for HD. It looks like an awesome deal though, for someone who is willing to pay (a bit) more than me!

And thanks Martijn. I had a look at the ''Standard Definition on hard disk'' page (as you mentionted) 'cause that is what I thought would fit me best.

The 1CCD vs. 3CCD/CMOS is bugging me, I do believe the difference is significant (thanks for the example-page) but I can't really say if it's worth my money either. I'm not really aiming for professional, top-notch filming etc., but a significant quality improvement isn't something I want to ignore.

All in all I think I'll settle with a cheaper 1CCD model since nearly €600,- (DCR-SR210) is just to much for something I just want to experiment with a bit. For now the DCR-SR55E seems most reasonable.

Damn choosing sucks!

Martijn

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2008, 10:24:48 pm »
All in all I think I'll settle with a cheaper 1CCD model since nearly €600,- (DCR-SR210) is just to much for something I just want to experiment with a bit. For now the DCR-SR55E seems most reasonable.

Yup, sounds fair!

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2008, 10:39:30 pm »
alright but a 8gb card is only about $25 or 18 Euro. So yeah but I think since it would be in NTSC opposed to PAL which I assume your country uses, and the power adapter is for America it may be more of a pain than its worth.

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 11:02:32 pm »
I received the DCR-SR55e today and I think I made the right choice ;) Thanks again!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 05:55:06 am »
Great, but I think we need a video as proof. Come on, you know you want to. ;)

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 06:42:01 am »
Great, but I think we need a video as proof. Come on, you know you want to. ;)

And what about yourself?
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

looby

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2008, 07:54:35 pm »
What do we reckon gents?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=130274401782&Category=11724&_trksid=p3907.m29&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

Put it this way, someones selling the same model on gumtree for £35 so either way it won't cost me more than £35.  My question is, can you find any specs on that particular model (I failed) and if so, do the newer 'cheap' video cameras (i.e £50-£60) really outdo the quality of these 4-5 year old cameras?

Answers appreciated asap since tyhe auction finishes in an hour or so :)

Ta
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2008, 08:40:53 pm »
From what I know, I'd stay away from Hi8 if you at all can. It's and old, almost extinct, analogue, proprietary Sony format that almost always offers substantially lower quality than a digital option like miniDV. That said - that's pretty cheap for a video camera.

Some links for reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_mm_video_format#The_future_of_the_8.C2.A0mm_video_formats

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/digital_or_analog.htm
(and keep in mind this was written back in 2001!!)

I started off editing analog video (Man's Chew days)... it really wasn't worth the hassle. You might even be better off with the video recording on many inexpensive digital cameras these days.

The Void

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2008, 08:55:02 pm »
£35 of hurt, my friend. It'll only make you want better. Steer clear, save up for something miniDV.

The Void
Kurosawa doubt
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

looby

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2008, 09:27:09 pm »
Good good.  I thought it was too good to be true.  Time to save some pennies in that case

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 02:15:52 pm »
Hey guys, there is a decent camcorder on http://www.woot.com/ right now for only $130 I just purchased it. This should be way more than enough for anyone just starting out.

It's HD recording at a maximum resolution of 1280x720 and uses SD cards its recording format is *.avi so editing won't be a pain.

Again it's not prosumer, or professional quality but it is more than what someone just starting will need.

jamzjazz

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 04:17:33 pm »
I got the HDC-SD9 panasonic HD camcorder i downloaded the corel videostudio 12 trail which says it supports HD but i cant find the files when i browse for them. The only way of finding and playing the files is to use the editing software that came with the camera. But it is useless so i end up converting it to MPEG-4 and editing it in another program and saving it again. After which the quality isn't great. Can anyone help? :-|

Paino

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 09:58:09 pm »
i just use my phone (lg viewty) it is supriseingly good for video and dose super slow mo 120fps you dont realy need any thing better but oh well

looby

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2009, 02:11:09 am »
I've got a serious urge to start filming and with some work behind me reckon it's about time I got myself a camcorder.  That's where you lot come in.

First things first, my netbook really struggles with HD footage.  It's wee processor just can't handle it which is a shame.  I'm wondering if this completely eliminates me from buying a HD camera.  I know it sounds obvious but is there any way in which my netbook would be able to process the HD footage and output a HD video if my netbook struggles to prcoess a finished HD quality film? 

If the answer is yes, do you reccommend I still go ahead and invest in a reasonably priced HD camera or go or play it safe with a decent spec non HD camera?

I'm guessing the market is still producing good quality non HD cameras so would that be my best bet considering my netbook dilemma?

My budget would definitely be around £200-300, max of £350.  Any reccommendations appreciated, mostly non HD if poss (unless you feel the HD route would be better).

Cheers y'all

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2009, 02:27:09 am »
Well I'm out of the loop when it comes to the current offerings, but I'll add what I can:
-Yes, it's highly doubtful your netbook would be able to edit HD footage. My MacBookPro struggles to do that.
-Still, if you want to make this a more long term investment, it might be worth looking at HD options. Computing power is only going up and getting cheaper and pretty soon HD is going to be the standard. Most HD camcorders will also let you record at lower resolutions in the meantime. -
-Keep in mind that there is 720 and 1080 HD.
-If you want it primarily for making online videos then you can probably get away with almost anything.
-If you primarily are going to film stuff for online videos and you have the option, getting a progressive scan camera can make life much simpler. Not sure if that's available in many cheaper cameras yet.
-I would read some online review sites to get a feeling for the current options. http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ comes to mind.
-Beyond the frame size, consider the sensor quality, lens quality, ability to take manual control (if that interests you), and the format it records in. A good optical zoom is nice too.
-Also keep in mind that the line is starting to blur between quality photo and video cameras. There are some (photo) cameras that take amazing (often progressive scan and up to HD) video now. The disadvantage with most of these is that you can't just leave them running for an hour and then edit your footage. You're going to have to take shorter clips. If you're also interested in getting into digital SLR photography, the new Nikon D5000 would be one option. Here you also get awesome shallow depth of field and the ability to use creative lenses. There are a ridiculous number of point and shoot options too. That's only if you want to kill 2 birds with one stone. If only the video side of things interests you, then you'll probably be happier with a true camcorder.

If it adds anything, here's what I've been using:
-originally, some ancient analogue thing that I painfully converted to crappy looking digital (Man's Chew days)
-for the last 3-4 years: PV-GS120 Mini-DV (which I should get around to selling some day)
-now the D90 DSLR which shoots 720 progressive scan HD

looby

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2009, 02:53:54 am »
Thanks for that Sean, lots of thinking to do.

So you do have the option to shoot in lower resolution when using a HD camcorder?  That's an ideal middle ground by the sounds of things, I can maybe invest in a semi decent HD camera now, shoot in non HD while I still have my netbook and maybe shoot in HD once I've upgraded my laptop.

Not too interested in still photography at the mo but would love to give it some time one day. 

I've also looked at the little point and shoot cameras and as convenient as the reviews make them out to be I can't help but feel they'll let me down for general use.  It seems unclear how easy it is to edit the footage and what formats these cameras save footage as.  Nev, I think you mentioned buying a point and shoot camcorder some time ago.  How have you found dumping that footage in to editing software?

If I'm being very general, I basically want something that will make a fairly nice looking diabolo video without breaking the bank and without necessarily being HD but still fairly decent at close up shots (for string tricks and whatnot).  Buying second hand is definitely an option if that helps. 

Crackers (as an example), your camera seems to produce decent quality footage and without offending the age of your camera, you seem to have had it for a couple of years now.  Would you reccommend it?  If so can I get a model number? 

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 03:35:17 am »
I'm pretty sure most HD cameras will let you capture SD footage too. After all, most people want to play stuff on DVDs and for that you need SD. Tijn filmed lots in SD with his HD camera until he upgraded his computer recently (there's some more about that in the last couple pages). Here's a better answer.

I wouldn't worry too much about the editing of the point and shoots. You can run just about any format through a conversion program first if need be. (In fact the same may be needed for a camcorder depending on the camcorder and software.) The format they record to varies. The quality of the video varies quite a bit from camera to camera though. You'd definitely want to read some reviews. Some of the newer better ones are probably going to produce better looking video than lots of camcorders. The biggest difference is in the process of filming and the final output. With most still cameras you couldn't set them up and film a whole show for example. Similarly, you couldn't set one up and go and try and nail a trick for 30 minutes. Usually you are limited to shorter clips. (On my D90 I'm limited to 5 minutes to prevent the sensor from overheating and it eats up batteries fast.) If you want to make video for a DVD to play on a TV then you'd be better off with a camcorder that shoots interlaced video. And, yes, some of the still cameras will record to highly compressed video clips which will result in poorer quality video.

I'd offer mine, but 1) it shoots NTSC and you'd probably want PAL, 2) you can probably find something more local, and 3) it hurts to think of how much it's devalued over the years.

Martijn

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 10:42:00 am »
For what it's worth, I'd definitely recommend getting a HD camera. Even if you output in SD (which means you don't benefit in the resolution), the colours are so much brighter and vivid. Like Sean said, I bought a HD camera with the option to record in SD, untill I saved up for my MacBook Pro. Now, I'm really happy that I've did that. (I'm less happy with the camera not being as compatible with Mac as I thought, but that's a different topic). I reckon HD will be the new standard pretty soon and if you can find a decent HD camera 2nd hand, perhaps it shouldn't be too expensive.

Like Sean said, manual focus, exposure and white balance are a must. I believe even the cheapest and simplest cameras these days are equipped with a manual function though.

Again like Sean said; if you're filming for the internets and if you can find one within your budget, get a camera that records in progressive mode. Deinterlacing can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

Another thing to consider is tapeless vs. recording on tape. I personally can't grasp why the standard is still f'ing tape, but tapeless brings along some disadvantages as well; for one it's nearly always recorded in a compressed format, which means degraded quality (although it's hard to notice, it's the idea that it could be better that bugs me :P), more processor intensive and less compatibility. It's not fun to be forced to convert your footage before you can edit it. Assuming you're working on Windows, you have a lot of editing software to choose from, so compatibility issues are less of an issue. Still something to look out for.

Secondly (and this is just a minor issue), tapeless recording could mean you can only record 20 minutes non-stop (at least that's the deal with my Sony HDR-SR7), before it creates a new clip, to prevent the individual files from becoming too big. This means you loose about a second of footage, because of the transition to the new file. Usually not a big deal, but I thought I'd mention it.

If you've got any more questions, I'm more than happy to give you my advice :) I'd love to see a quality vid from you man!

The Void

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 12:58:44 pm »
My brief opinion, which agrees with most of what's written above:

Get a miniDV tape HD-cam with manual settings that will let you film in SD until you get a better computer.

A reasonable amount of optical zoom (say 10x) would probably be useful too.

The Void
Yay for a Looby vid!
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

looby

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 03:36:37 pm »
Thanks for the added input Tijn/Void, most appreciated.  So my checklist is looking like:

£200-350
HD
Optical zoom 10+
Progessive Mode
Manual Focus

Still undecided on tape/tapeless.  Void, there seem to be very few budget cameras combining miniDV and HD.  What major advantage does this combination provide?  There are however plenty of HDD and SD storage HD cameras at a more realistic price so SD storage might be the route to go down.

The Void

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 04:33:35 pm »
Plus points for miniDV tape:

Up to 90 minutes record time (at SD, 60 at HD).
On-camera drives can fill up, but tape drives can always have a new tape popped in.
Store your footage & edits on tape (You will need to buy a camera that has dv-IN as well as out, to do this) at full quality.

These are important points for me. YMMV.

The Void
Scores tied.

Martijn

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 04:47:30 pm »
Up to 90 minutes record time (at SD, 60 at HD).

Isn't it 60 minutes for SD at full quality?

On-camera drives can fill up, but tape drives can always have a new tape popped in.

Valid point, but (depending on the size of your hard disk and used compression) most hard disk cameras offer plenty space. If I film in HD at it's highest quality, I can record for 8 hours. That's with a 60gb hard drive. I think that should be enough for most people.

The Void

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 04:53:19 pm »
It's 90 minutes for SD in "long play" mode. In theory the quality could drop a little in this mode, or you could get drop-outs, but I've not experienced this.

8 hours may well be enough for most people, it's true. Although if I'm heading to a long convention (like I am next week, to the longest juggling convention in the world) then for me it's not.

Like I said, YMMV.

The Void
Arm balls a go-go

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2009, 05:23:26 pm »
Crackers (as an example), your camera seems to produce decent quality footage and without offending the age of your camera, you seem to have had it for a couple of years now.  Would you reccommend it?  If so can I get a model number?
Mine is a Panasonic NVGS-320. It's about 2 years old now, was a great quality/price choice at the time. However I wouldn't recommend now as HD is really becoming standard. Like the others have said you should defo go for a HD cam that can record some SD.

looby

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2009, 12:51:37 pm »
Right, I think I've come to a decision (finally).  After considering everything I reckon I'm going for the Panny TM10

http://www.simplydv.co.uk/reviews/camcorders/panasonic/avchd/panasonic-hdc-tm10-review.html

I found it on Play bundled with a free 16gb sd card for £450.

Before I take the plunge can those of you in the know spot anything major it's lacking or are we on to a winner?

The Void

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2009, 02:49:36 pm »
Sounds like a reasonable choice from that review. The only thing that worries me is
The battery has been designed to slot in flush with the body and is not visible when the 2.7" wide LCD screen is shut. It's inside this recess where several connectors are to be found - Component, Mini HDMI, AV composite video/audio terminal output and USB 2.0 socket.
Do they mean that these connectors are behind the battery? I can't really tell from that photo. If they do, then that's insane, as you'll only be able to use them on mains power. Hopefully I'm misreading that.

The Void
has survived Glasto

looby

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2009, 09:32:37 pm »
Hmmmm, thought I'd browse through this entire thread and came across Tijn's camera (the HDR-SR7).

Had a quick look on ebay and found the same model in used but new condition for £450!  It's the same price as the Panny TM10 I mentioned a couple of posts back.  I also noticed the SR7 is still £899 new on Amazon so I think I'm on to a bargain.

I don't think I've got time to wait for opinions, I'm gonna take the plunge.  Tijn, I'll ask for your advice after I receive my new toy :)

This whole saga is over...finally.

Martijn

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2009, 11:43:26 pm »
Hehe, that's awesome. The HDR SR7 is quite a decent camera! I'd suggest using Sony Vegas from now on (if you haven't been using that already), because that offers the best compatibility with it's fancy AVCHD technology. I'm here for all your questions! (just, you know... wait till after EJC ;D)

hOOk3r

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2009, 10:07:55 pm »
what do you think about Toshiba Camilieo HD??

it has a H.264 so...has it got HD in youtube?

and if it isnt a good camcorder...what camcorder do you think is the best less than 140€?thank you!!