Author Topic: Camcorder....yes but which one  (Read 21936 times)

The Void

Re: Camcorder....yes but which one
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 12:58:44 pm »
My brief opinion, which agrees with most of what's written above:

Get a miniDV tape HD-cam with manual settings that will let you film in SD until you get a better computer.

A reasonable amount of optical zoom (say 10x) would probably be useful too.

The Void
Yay for a Looby vid!
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

looby

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 03:36:37 pm »
Thanks for the added input Tijn/Void, most appreciated.  So my checklist is looking like:

£200-350
HD
Optical zoom 10+
Progessive Mode
Manual Focus

Still undecided on tape/tapeless.  Void, there seem to be very few budget cameras combining miniDV and HD.  What major advantage does this combination provide?  There are however plenty of HDD and SD storage HD cameras at a more realistic price so SD storage might be the route to go down.
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

The Void

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 04:33:35 pm »
Plus points for miniDV tape:

Up to 90 minutes record time (at SD, 60 at HD).
On-camera drives can fill up, but tape drives can always have a new tape popped in.
Store your footage & edits on tape (You will need to buy a camera that has dv-IN as well as out, to do this) at full quality.

These are important points for me. YMMV.

The Void
Scores tied.
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

Martijn

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 04:47:30 pm »
Up to 90 minutes record time (at SD, 60 at HD).

Isn't it 60 minutes for SD at full quality?

On-camera drives can fill up, but tape drives can always have a new tape popped in.

Valid point, but (depending on the size of your hard disk and used compression) most hard disk cameras offer plenty space. If I film in HD at it's highest quality, I can record for 8 hours. That's with a 60gb hard drive. I think that should be enough for most people.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

The Void

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 04:53:19 pm »
It's 90 minutes for SD in "long play" mode. In theory the quality could drop a little in this mode, or you could get drop-outs, but I've not experienced this.

8 hours may well be enough for most people, it's true. Although if I'm heading to a long convention (like I am next week, to the longest juggling convention in the world) then for me it's not.

Like I said, YMMV.

The Void
Arm balls a go-go

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2009, 05:23:26 pm »
Crackers (as an example), your camera seems to produce decent quality footage and without offending the age of your camera, you seem to have had it for a couple of years now.  Would you reccommend it?  If so can I get a model number?
Mine is a Panasonic NVGS-320. It's about 2 years old now, was a great quality/price choice at the time. However I wouldn't recommend now as HD is really becoming standard. Like the others have said you should defo go for a HD cam that can record some SD.

looby

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2009, 12:51:37 pm »
Right, I think I've come to a decision (finally).  After considering everything I reckon I'm going for the Panny TM10

http://www.simplydv.co.uk/reviews/camcorders/panasonic/avchd/panasonic-hdc-tm10-review.html

I found it on Play bundled with a free 16gb sd card for £450.

Before I take the plunge can those of you in the know spot anything major it's lacking or are we on to a winner?

The Void

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2009, 02:49:36 pm »
Sounds like a reasonable choice from that review. The only thing that worries me is
The battery has been designed to slot in flush with the body and is not visible when the 2.7" wide LCD screen is shut. It's inside this recess where several connectors are to be found - Component, Mini HDMI, AV composite video/audio terminal output and USB 2.0 socket.
Do they mean that these connectors are behind the battery? I can't really tell from that photo. If they do, then that's insane, as you'll only be able to use them on mains power. Hopefully I'm misreading that.

The Void
has survived Glasto

looby

• Donator
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2009, 09:32:37 pm »
Hmmmm, thought I'd browse through this entire thread and came across Tijn's camera (the HDR-SR7).

Had a quick look on ebay and found the same model in used but new condition for £450!  It's the same price as the Panny TM10 I mentioned a couple of posts back.  I also noticed the SR7 is still £899 new on Amazon so I think I'm on to a bargain.

I don't think I've got time to wait for opinions, I'm gonna take the plunge.  Tijn, I'll ask for your advice after I receive my new toy :)

This whole saga is over...finally.

Martijn

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2009, 11:43:26 pm »
Hehe, that's awesome. The HDR SR7 is quite a decent camera! I'd suggest using Sony Vegas from now on (if you haven't been using that already), because that offers the best compatibility with it's fancy AVCHD technology. I'm here for all your questions! (just, you know... wait till after EJC ;D)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

hOOk3r

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2009, 10:07:55 pm »
what do you think about Toshiba Camilieo HD??

it has a H.264 so...has it got HD in youtube?

and if it isnt a good camcorder...what camcorder do you think is the best less than 140€?thank you!!