Author Topic: Strings  (Read 3968 times)

Jim678

Strings
« on: March 11, 2013, 04:31:08 pm »
How often should I be replacing the strings?

Chloé F.

Re: Strings
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:59:47 pm »
Personnaly I change my string every month, and I practice at least half an hour per day...

- Chloé
There's nothing but what's bearable as long as a man can play diabolo.

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 05:12:45 pm »
I, one the other hand, replace my string on a weekly basis, sometimes 2 times in a week and sometimes once in 2 weeks. You should replace it whenever it starts to become annoying, to really answer your question you should say what kind of string you use

Jim678

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 05:25:23 pm »
I've just got some standard braided nylon string from the hardware store but I'm looking at buying some slide pro string and didn't know how much to buy

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:39:38 pm »
I would recommend Henry's string, buy tonnes of it, I mean you're gonna use up 25 meters of Henry's in a year or less, I would use up 25 meters of henry's string in about 12 weeks, search through old threads about string, you will find all the info you need in no time ;)

what is slide pro string?

nickbonnes

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 07:29:01 pm »
Oh don't buy that string, I know it is tempting because a big roll looks cool and it is cheap but really it is not nice, I used it for a bit at Upchuck because Folkert had some and he said he does not like it, in my opinion it has some similarities in Mr. Babache string as to the fact that you don;t have to wear it out, however that is where the similarities end. Then again, it depends on the level, there is no point in buying too much string from the beginning, most tricks are fine with any string when it comes to simple 1 diabolo tricks, once you get into integrals (I assume you do not do them yet) then you can go on and experiment with different string.

-Eric-

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 09:31:29 pm »
It also depends on which diabolos you are using. I don't use my  bearing diabolo much anymore, but if you use a bearing, then you pretty much never have to change the string.

Chloé F.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 09:46:45 pm »
I forgot to say I often use bearing diabolos, but rarely fixed axle diabolos...
There's nothing but what's bearable as long as a man can play diabolo.

Mediaboy13

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 03:51:30 am »
Henry's always comes slippery, go for MB performance string. Oh and i just change my string when it snaps, that way you don't waste string changing it all the time. Even frayed string can last weeks or months.  ;)

Hope that helps!  :-D
-Alex
I used to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.

apd.squeaky

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 06:28:16 am »
I usually change strings when mine either snap or are so dirty [aka black] or frayed that it's pretty much unusable. 
If it makes a difference, I use primarily Sundia strings or Henry's Yellow, but sometimes Henry's White if I have to do a string change right before a performance.  I also alternate between bearing and fixed axles.

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 08:12:52 am »
Henry's always comes slippery, go for MB performance string. Oh and i just change my string when it snaps, that way you don't waste string changing it all the time. Even frayed string can last weeks or months. 

Hope that helps! 
-Alex

Yeah i usually wait till mine snaps, that usually takes a week xD As for Mr Babache string, I got it once on my old Mr Babache carbon sticks and I did not like it that much, I think it was the fact that it feels quite worn out already and also the fact that (if memory serves me correctly) it seems a bit stretchy, like a rubber band, although that might be my memory serving me incorrectly. In any way, I guess it also depends on what you do, only a handful or people that I know can do 4D use something other than Henrys, although I heard Mr baba he string is great for Integrals and slacks, which I wouldnt be surprised about as I do think it is great string, just not my favourite. Back to the other string, there are basically 4 types of string that you can buy and will be GREAT:

Henry's string
Mr. Babache string
Taibolo string
Sundia string

That slide pro string is not something I would recommend to anyone. I think most cheap things are called things like "pro" or "ultimate". To make you think it is great, which is why it is best to check on a specified forum. One thing this does not apply to though is things like "Epic A-dream" or "Taibolo super V2" diabolos which are renown for living up to their name :)

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am talking about the string I felt, I am not sure if it is Slide Pro but I have a feeling it probably was

Jim678

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 05:01:13 pm »
I'm thinking of getting Henry's yellow (not the uv colour) string but can't find anywhere to get it in the uk, do you know any good websites where I can get it in the uk?

the_vik_vh

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 05:03:23 pm »

dakarv

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 08:33:04 pm »
It's tempting to change the string when it gets dirty and starts wrapping up but it will last a lot longer than this. Using the right technique to stop it wrapping helps but I find that sometimes just playing with it for a few minutes will stop it happening

It can also go through phases of being fine and not even need warming in. You can get a nice grippy feel from a dirty string and having suicides etc going round slower can make them easier, also saves a lot of money on string so I recommend learning to use it until it snaps

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 08:27:49 am »
That slide pro string is not something I would recommend to anyone. I think most cheap things are called things like "pro" or "ultimate". To make you think it is great, which is why it is best to check on a specified forum. One thing this does not apply to though is things like "Epic A-dream" or "Taibolo super V2" diabolos which are renown for living up to their name :)

Ah well, the Slide Pro string is exactly the same braid as the 'flecked' string Henrys produced for a while before switching back to the classic plain colours. I would assume the same factory provided both Henry's and Slide with that product, similar to the old Babache/Beard string story. If it's good enough for Henry's i'd say they can get away with using 'Pro' in the title.

As for the product itself, I quite like it. I prefer it to standard Henrys yellow.
www.MightAsWellCommit.com - Diabolo Awesomeness.

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 08:38:31 am »
Maybe I am getting confused with some mother brand, I love the old Henry's string! I used to buy it all the time! There was 1 string that was definitely nothing like Henry's but it looked just like this, if so sincere apologies but I was sure that the one I felt was slide pro. Whatever it is I know there is one string that looks like that and feels much more to the Mr. Babache string, and it is simply not my cup of tea. I will probably buy this s trying and see what I make of it this week!

dudderscircus

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 06:38:42 pm »
I keep it for months on end, I love a rough string as it gives grip.
'nuff said

maxx9r

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 10:11:12 am »
it really depends on the place.... outdoors it could be possible that you have to change every day, (depends on floor, weather......) indoor i actually use a string about 1 week (if i play every day like 1-2 hours)

i mostly use henrys string (especially outdoors)

"slick string" (company: PLAY )  for indoorsessions (instead of a new henry´s)
SICK WIT IT !!!

kampfjapanertaro

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 02:45:33 pm »
Change when the string has too much grip. I sometimes change 2 times a week and sometimes once in 2 months.