Author Topic: Equipment advice  (Read 2758 times)

Wolki

Equipment advice
« on: May 03, 2013, 02:59:34 pm »
heyho,

I play current with wooden sticks and a Mr.Babache Harlekin; was a present 2 or 3 years ago. But like u all know this doesnt seem to be ideal equipment. ;)

So I decided to buy new sticks, diabolo and string. My research insulted in:

-Henrys Circus vs. Taibolo Super V2
-Henrys Alu vs. Henrys Carbon -> those alu sticks seem to be last longer? cause they can be bend back.
-Green Henrys string

I wanna play vertax (not yet) and somedays maybe 2D/ 3D.
Circus seems to be good, but only with a tuning kit and a Taibolo is good without one. as a result a Taibolo is cheaper?

Maybe u have other alternatives or u can at least help me with my decision.
Hope u understand my English, since I live in Germany.

Greetz
Wolker

EDIT: I play always on our meadow.

Mediaboy13

Re: Equipment adive
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 08:36:19 am »
Out of those 2 options I would go for Circus if you're just using 1D, but if you plan on 2 and 3 go for V2's (they work for 1D aswell) because Taibolo's were designed for multiple diabolo use (still fine for 1D). Circus' are also heavier than V2s.

As for sticks Aluminium is heavier than Carbon but Carbon use more string. I'm not sure how long Carbons last for but my mates Aluminium's have lasted a little over 4 years with some scratches and small dents, if they bend they can be bent back (although they will only bend if it hits something solid really hard).

String choice is fine although with Henrys string you usually have to "soap" it, so I would go for Mr Babache performance string  ;) I prefer it over Henrys and use it more but it's your choice.

Hope that helps!  :-D
-Alex
I used to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.

Wolki

Re: Equipment adive
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:51:55 am »
Then I guess Taibolo will be better. I planned starting 2d end of this summer, if I get much better with 1D, if not, then I'll start in spring 2013.#

I'm not worried about wasting string, cause it's relative cheap. But Carbons are more expensive and can faster be unplaybale than the ones out of Aluminium. Maybe I'll find a opportunity to test both sticks.

As far as I know performance string is just availiable in yellow, pink and white. However Henry's is availiable in green.
What do u mean with "soap them"? http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=1371 found here waht u mean. ;) So I'll try Henrys, cause i like the green.

Yep helped me a lot. :) Thanks. ;)
Wolki

Graham Milligan

Re: Equipment advice
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 02:28:22 am »
you wont be able to tell from the website, but i generally think that all the different colours of string for henrys have different quality. Green being the worst, then orange, then yellow. dunno if thats just me though  :l
Some Craic!

Wolki

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 08:30:21 am »
Hm, okay. however ervething is better than my current string. :D
Decided to got a red taibolo, so I'll buy the yellow string. Looks better to me. :)
I order within teh next hours. :)

Mediaboy13

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:02:00 am »
Glad you made a decision on your diabolo!  :) I've heard about the string and colour quality system too, although i'm not sure if it's true. The supposed order Grahem put in is what everyone has said to be. I've only used green and orange Henry's string before moving to MB performance string. I can't remember there being much difference, although orange looked better  ::) maybe it's time i buy some Henrys sting again and test it.

-Alex
I used to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.

Wolki

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 11:12:27 am »
I placed my order a few minutes ago. :) Hopefully I get it in 2 days, maybe tomorrow.
I'll come back and give some feedback.
Soap for the string was already bought yesterday. :D

Wolki

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 11:58:59 am »
Got it today. :) its ****in awesome. :D thx guys.

One more question. How do ya store ur sticks? Do u just lay them somewhere or do u wrap the string about it?

visjes112

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 01:28:24 pm »
I wrap the string around my sticks, although it's not the best solution :) nice to hear you enjoy your new diabolo^^

Graham Milligan

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 02:40:28 pm »
yeh, wrap string around sticks then pull it inbetween the sticks so that they lock in place :)

i dunno, i tried all 3 types and found that the green string became grotty really quickly and i hated it. so i get henry yellow because it stays slippy for ages
Some Craic!

Wolki

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 02:47:00 pm »
Okay, than i can continue wrapping the string.

Looks like the Alu sticks came with the orange Henry's string? cause it hasn't that much grip. I think I should soap it, don't I?

Graham Milligan

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 08:28:23 pm »
its all about preference. i personally love slippy string and think soaping the string is counter productive.
Some Craic!