Author Topic: Site swaps  (Read 3572 times)

maxmaestro

Site swaps
« on: June 04, 2013, 06:03:16 pm »
Hey guys, so i have a maths project i have to do for IB (international baccalaureate) and i was wondering, i've heard that some tricks that are physically possible, aren't possible in terms of siteswaps. is this true?

im not certain im going to use it as a topic but i think it could be interesting if there is good maths behind it. but i dont really know much about siteswaps...
ideally, does anyone who is good at maths and understands siteswaps have any ideas for a maths investigations into siteswaps, it can be literally anything.
if this is totally ridiculous i will find something else to do.

thanks in advance

Arjan

Re: Site swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:22:39 pm »
Hey Max,

Perhaps first I assume you are aiming at siteswaps, as in it's original form applied to mainly toss juggling, correct?

This gentleman has done a very enjoyable lecture on the subject:

Wis

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:07:08 pm »
I am not an expert, but I think
i've heard that some tricks that are physically possible, aren't possible in terms of siteswaps. is this true?
this is not true. What there are, are incomplete siteswaps notations. I assume you refer to the concrete case when 2 elements land or leave your hand at the same time, the so called multiplex. In the basic siteswap notation this is not allowed, but extended siteswap notation allow it and denote it by the use of [], I believe.

I did a math project also based on siteswap. When I finished the presentation the teacher asked: "but is this for real?". Priceless.
So if you plan to make a presentation I recommend using juggling lab (now available on Android) and some youtube videos with siteswap sequences and the execution filmed
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

maxmaestro

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 06:49:15 pm »
thanks the video was great, ya i forgot to mention i meant juggling but i thought this would be my best bet because i know some of us spinners are tossers too. so far it's looking good but im not sure what maths i could investigate into it, as i need form my own investigation, the random juggling seemed interesting, anyhoo thanks for the help. i might post my investigation on here afterwards for anyone who is interested.

Scharling

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:13:31 pm »
Try to ask on the facebook group ""JugglingRock"". There are over 3600 jugglers  - I think some of them can help you :).

Not Skilled Yet

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 01:49:51 pm »
It would probably be hard, but you could try to figure out a formula for which siteswaps are valid and which are invalid(rather than just figuring things out in order)
fluffy kitty

Arjan

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 02:01:22 pm »
very simple formula to use to calculate siteswaps: add up all the numbers in the siteswap (5+3+1=9), divided the result by the number of digits, in this case 3 (9:3=3) meaning it is a 3 ball pattern that is valid.
I'm really not good in explaining this, but its not that hard.

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 05:05:22 pm »
I found that lecture quite interesting, I already knew about how the average equals the amount of balls but I never realised all the water terminology (cascade, shower, fountain...)

You might want to check this out:
http://www.artofdiabolo.com/dsss/dsss.php

You have probably seen it but I think it better than working out whether the siteswap is valid on pen and paper, and you get to see a simulation of it too!

maxmaestro

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 11:56:36 pm »
ya i knew about the average too, from the video. but i have no idea how this is relevant, but if you plot all of the points on a graph, and link them up with a line, then the area under the line is always a multiple of how many balls are in the pattern. but i dont know the relation between the two... I just found that out by randomly plotting the numbers on a graph. i'll post a picture tomorrow if people want to see.

I dont really know what im looking for right now, just sort of working through everything until something pops up that seems interesting,
thanks for all the help guys

Wis

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 08:43:09 am »
i'll post a picture tomorrow if people want to see.
Yeah, sounds like fun
"The string...the inertia...the hours"