Author Topic: setting up school Juggling Club !!HELP!!  (Read 4286 times)

Pete

• VotW Contributor
setting up school Juggling Club !!HELP!!
« on: October 13, 2005, 09:52:16 pm »
I know there is topic a bit like this somewhere but this is just a bit more specific to my problem, and  know this isn't entirely abot diabolo buy i hope it will be ok here.

A teacher at my school is going to arrange people to be taught 3 ball juggling in classes. I know this sounds a bit dumb but its really going to happen. I will probably end up teaching them anyway so it shouldn't be too much trouble(who am I kidding, yes it will).
She is also arranging a juggling club at lunchtime and/or after school which i and 3 other friends will be organising. She has agreed to buy us some equipment for the club, but hasn't given us a budget as yet. I just need people to give me few ideas of things to do, cheap equipment etc.

I can't think what and how many diabolos to get for the club. Well i suppose that problem goes for everything really. What do you think i should get???  At the moment i'm thinking radiant medium. Its either that or some really cheap rubbish ones, or the henry's beach. At the moment i don't really have a clue how many people will want to come, probably not very many which also means this is probably a waste of time. But, hey at least i get to use our gym for diabolo at lunchtimes.

HEEELLLLPPP!!!!

P.S. sorry for the long post.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 10:39:54 pm »
In my experience with juggling clubs, get the cheapest things you can get your hands on, within reason.  If people take to it, more likely than not they will buy their own better quality stuff, just make sure you're on hand to advise them on things to get.

The Henrys Beach is an excellent starter diabolo and if you can get it at a trade or discount price, even better as they come to like £6 a diabolo which is very functional.  I learnt 2D with Beaches and still like them occasionally.  Beanbags can come very cheap and nasty, from the tube of 3 you get for a pound to balloon and rice ones you make yourself.  Both are good options for beginners and you're not gonna break the bank on them.

As for numbers of things, you won't know until you see how many people take to things, just cater to the needs of the people.  Don't go buy a unicycle if no one wants to try it.  If you think you will be able to order over £150 worth of stock (either from just the club or members wanting to buy stuff too) http://www.butterfingers.co.uk do an excellent deal of nearly half price equipment.  If you go to the site, take the price they have, divide by two, add 20% which covers VAT and postage, and that's what you'll pay.  As long as you can order enough equipment, you'll get the discount regardless of who you are.

http://www.beard.co.uk also have an option for trade discounts for shops and clubs which again is about half price.  All you have to do is email them a letter of intent and to prove that you are a proper juggling club and they will give you trade discounts on pretty much all of their stock regardless of how much you want.  They do have a proviso that any equipment bought is for the ownership of the club and not individual members.  Members are only allowed to buy stuff from the club at RRP.  Not sure how enforced this is, but it's what they ask.  For juggling equipment, Beard are super and pretty cheap.  When it comes to diabolos, I think we all agree Beard fall down in this area.  Flare jumbos work well enough to get started with, just kinda nasty.  Good cheap clubs though.

Hope that helps and best of luck with it.  Juggling is moving into the UK curriculum which is always nice.

Chiok
(an even longer post)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

eggy900

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 09:19:13 am »
yeh, get the cheapest stuff you can find, so you can get more of it and it's cheaper to replace. The beard gyro is ok for beginners or the radiant. I find that teaching is easier with the smaller diabolos.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 04:59:19 pm »
We started a club in ellesmere port last year and had a budget of £60 and we got a lot of stuff for that. It was cheap and not too nasty some shops will give loyalty bonuses and stuff like that for clubs. This year we got £100 to spend and we got a load of cheap balls, rings and clubs from a convention. Here are some good ways to save money:
Cheap balls from conventions tha people have homemade
discount equipment from shops at conventions
www.passepasse.com (club discount)
mass ordering stuff aswell.

Good luck,
Behind your back is your front.

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 06:34:24 pm »
Thanks guys, this really helps. I iwll look into your ideas.

Mithew

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 09:01:11 pm »
one other idea, try talking to nearby companies or your school to see if they will donate money, if the teacher can't give much money, then you have alternate sources.  Also, i've found that people don't use the juggling club equipment for long, if they're at all serious, they'll buy their own equipment really quick, so it doesn't matter if the stuff stinks, they only use it to see if they enjoy juggling.
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 12:09:38 pm »
At the moment our budget is £100 but that has to buy a class set of juggling balls. Then whatevers left from that + whatever else we can get, goes to the club.
Our school also gets some funds from a thing called "Gifted and Talented", which organises/pays for things for gifted and talented pupils. Hopefully this will get us some more cash.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 10:42:39 pm »
http://www.butterfingers.co.uk/frame.cfm?area=shop has LazyDaze pyramid beanbags in a sack of 50 for £33.  Possibly more expensive than 33 tubes of 3 beanbags from a pound store, but more likely a better weight and feel.  When I first learnt to juggle three, I used three pyramid bags I won at a computer exhibition, don't roll at all and the underfilling means the shape isn't too crucial.

On a diabolo note, they also have toy diabolos for £3.45 a piece.  Your local Toys R Us might also have lil toy diabolos for £5 I believe with wooden sticks.  This was my first diabolo, nasty axle, didn't spin for very long and came with parcel string.  Still, got me very enthused about the diabolo.  As for the comment on serious jugglers, how many people really walk into a club thinking "I'm gonna really try hard and be the best I can be, at juggling".  Unfortunately most of the time it starts out as a whim, it's up to the organisers and instructors to make sure they stick to it.  But sponsorship is a good idea if you can offer something in return, such as advertising space or the such.

Chiok[/url]
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Jsam

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 01:15:44 am »
We have a juggling club at my school but we don't get any money for it.  our district is so poor the teacher that runs it doesn't get paid.  your really lucky.  anyways what he does is get stuff off ebay.  he got a circus an arqueno for twenty us dollars with shipping.  he also encourages us to buy our own if we really like it.
Green and Black circus's Oh Ya!

Ben

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 06:26:39 am »
My dad and i started a juggling club that meats at my school during lunch as well as one night a week. we have absolutely no budget, i bring the equipment my dad and I just collected over the years but in the beginning we were having trouble with trying to get balls and clubs for all the people.

i think you should seriously just do what we did (at least at first) make your own equipment  :D  this doesn’t really work as far as diabolo is concerned but you can make balls as well as clubs for very cheap and relatively easy and after you get the hang of it they turn out very nicely. We had one day at the club were we brought the supplies and everyone put in a dollar or two and then we made our stuff. it takes me about 8 mins max for a nise set of 3 balls and maybe 20 mins for a set of clubs  :D

i can explain how to make the different props if you are interested

good luck

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 05:01:05 pm »
No need, problem is solved. Budget has been increased to £250 so we can get plenty of equipment with that. First meeting should be on Monday, assuming the equipment arrives by then. It should arrive by 5:30pm on Monday and we need it by lunchtime at 12:55 and we need to label all of it. I'm not hopeful but you never know. If t doesn't arrive then , then we'll start on Wedneday the week after next.