Author Topic: Sundia Fire Bearing Diabolo First Impressions  (Read 16849 times)

simonc95

Sundia Fire Bearing Diabolo First Impressions
« on: December 12, 2013, 08:15:36 pm »
So i recently splashed out and bough myself a sundia fire bearing diabolo, i'd been looking for uk stock fro a good year and stumbled across http://www.diabolomoves.co.uk/ when they posted about the updated store layout on these very forums. thy still have 2 in stock (as of 12 dec) if you wanted to get your hands on one. its not a cheap buy at £88 without any wicks but definitely worth a look.

so my first thoughts, well to start off i must say this is the most beautiful diabolo i have ever owned its absolutely stunning the design on the thing is perfect. my first spin was a bit of a revelation really, without wicks, its ver very light for a fire diabolo, comparing it to a fyrefli Meteor and the Nesbitt, i havn't weighed them to compare but it due to the fact its a frame rather than solid metal. this makes it  alot less dawnting to play with and makes it handle easier and not much different to a heavy rubber diabolo. on the not of handling the bearing is a life saver on this, wiht the need to use Kevlar string, any normal diabolo has minimal spin time and is very difficult to spin ant any sort of speed, this complete negates that effect.

as for wicking it i ended up cutting 8 100mm Kevlar disks and mounting them on the supplied central bolt i then sewed it in tight into a sort of flower formation using 2mm Kevlar thread, and so far it seem very stable, i have yet to light it up yet as i'm giving it a thorough first soak (10 hours each side) but i'll update this post once i have. ill be sure to get some pics or maybe some video of a burn too

So first burn, very impressed very stable and controllable despite the very fast, if a little to fast spin speed, its fine to control just dulls the flame a little quicker, very impresses with flame size and for a first burn a solid 3 min burn with v large flames. pictures below

Nothing too spectacular trick wise but it gives you an idea of how it burns and handles

As a lot of people have been asking here is a more in-depth step by step process of how i wicked my diabolo.

so started out by buying 1m of 100mm kevlar wick (from oddballs.co.uk) this is plenty enough leaves you with about 20cm of excess

i then marked up 8 circular disks (4 for each side)  using what i think is part of a light fitting but a compass would work just fine too.

i measured out the middle then used a pen to push a hole though eh kevlar, wide enough that it would fit over the central bolt.

this image give a you a rough idea of the bolt its probably not that big but for showing the construction its good enough.

i then one by one placed four disks of kevlar on each side.

and then put the supplied washer over them.

i then bolted them down using the supplied bolt and the Kevlar sat a little like this pertruding though the sides of the diabolo, originally i intended to stop here but i found the Kevlar would catch the string and halt the diabolo completely.

so i pulled the Kevlar away from the sides into a sort of bunched up flower-eque formation, however it dint hold like this.

so i sewed though it with a large needle with Kevlar sting. though all 4 layers then across and though the other 4 holding it together in the formation, i used and industrial needle and pliers its not an easy job.

and finally i was left with this.
I appreciate every click: www.youtube.com/user/SinisterElen

simonc95

Re: Sundia Fire Bearing Diabolo First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 07:16:34 pm »
Updated with images adn review of first burn

ADubhlaoich

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 03:16:44 pm »
Got any more pictures/better explanation of your wick set-up? I got this fire diabolo a month or two ago; it handles like a dream compared to the Fyrefli Comet I also own. For the time being I've had a small square cut 50mm wick on the axle but I've been planning to put fire rope around the circumference of the cup once I order some (Should make arm orbits terrifyingly fun!).
One of the Irish people lurking about.

simonc95

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 06:47:05 pm »
well i basically cut several disks of kevlar with a small hole in the middle for the bolt i then pulled the edges up and towards the middle i then sewed though it with kevlar thread to hold it in place exaple with paper  below:

Graham Milligan

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 10:01:28 pm »
Any chance of a video? pictures are good but can also be misleading
Some Craic!

simonc95

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 03:14:46 pm »

nothing too spectacular trick wise but it gives you an idea of how it burns and handles

ADubhlaoich

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 05:52:07 pm »
Thanks for elaborating on the wicks! I'll have to give that a shot once I order more; ten hour soak sounds a bit excessive, though.
One of the Irish people lurking about.

Graham Milligan

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 06:43:39 pm »
i think with fire equipment there is no excessive soaking, the longer you soak the better surely? up to a point obviously
Some Craic!

simonc95

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 07:19:27 pm »
i think with fire equipment there is no excessive soaking, the longer you soak the better surely? up to a point obviously

my thoughts exactly keeping it soaked wont do it any harm although after n amount of time it will have no more effect.

Richard

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 05:33:30 am »
Hi Simon,

Thank you so much for posting this - I've been looking for replacement fire diabolos since I've been using the Gora kits on my Mister Babache Finesse and not really enjoying the experience of them due to the poor balance and overall experience.

I have a few questions if you don't mind replying?

1. What is the balance like of the diabolo?

2. How easy is the diabolo to handle when it drops off the string and you need to pick it up? Would you need to have kevlar gloves?  It looks like that flame goes through the cups also so handling them would be difficult.

3. Could you please explain the set up of the wicks a bit more and/or take some more pics of them?
a. What did you mean by "sewing them together" Do you use multiple wicks per side?
b. How do the wicks attach to the inside of the cups?
c. Do the wicks come with the diabolo or do you need to purchase separately? How much kevlar wick comes with the diabolo?
d. Do they recommend a shape for the wicks or was that your own design you showed?
e. What do you sew the wicks with? Kevlar string? Is that supplied by with the diabolo also?
f. How long did it take to set up the wicks?

4. Have you done any high throws? If so, did the fire go out? I've noticed that as soon as I start throwing my Gora kit diabolos high, the fire goes out.

5. Have you dropped the diabolos on the ground and have they bent? Would you think they could bend easily if they're dropped?

6. Do you know what type of metal the diabolos are made out of?

Thanks!

Rich

Richard

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 05:43:12 am »
Sorry, just re-read your comments on how many wicks you used per cup.  How did you sew them together?

simonc95

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 01:58:44 pm »
Hi Simon,

Thank you so much for posting this - I've been looking for replacement fire diabolos since I've been using the Gora kits on my Mister Babache Finesse and not really enjoying the experience of them due to the poor balance and overall experience.

I have a few questions if you don't mind replying?

1. What is the balance like of the diabolo?

2. How easy is the diabolo to handle when it drops off the string and you need to pick it up? Would you need to have kevlar gloves?  It looks like that flame goes through the cups also so handling them would be difficult.

3. Could you please explain the set up of the wicks a bit more and/or take some more pics of them?
a. What did you mean by "sewing them together" Do you use multiple wicks per side?
b. How do the wicks attach to the inside of the cups?
c. Do the wicks come with the diabolo or do you need to purchase separately? How much kevlar wick comes with the diabolo?
d. Do they recommend a shape for the wicks or was that your own design you showed?
e. What do you sew the wicks with? Kevlar string? Is that supplied by with the diabolo also?
f. How long did it take to set up the wicks?

4. Have you done any high throws? If so, did the fire go out? I've noticed that as soon as I start throwing my Gora kit diabolos high, the fire goes out.

5. Have you dropped the diabolos on the ground and have they bent? Would you think they could bend easily if they're dropped?

6. Do you know what type of metal the diabolos are made out of?

Thanks!

Rich

okay
1: the balance is spot on this thing spins like its on rail even at very high speeds
2: yes the flame does go though the cups, personally i never touch a fire diabolo when its lit or has been lit recently even my other ones, as its has a full metal construction teh whole thing heats up and would burn you to even touch it the same with every fire diabolo other than the gora kit. i only ever use the string to move it around when its hot.
3: so ill go though the process i did in a bit more detail :

so started out by buying 1m of 100mm kevlar wick (from oddballs.co.uk) this is plenty enough leaves you with about 20cm of excess

i then marked up 8 circular disks (4 for each side)  using what i think is part of a light fitting but a compass would work just fine too.

i measured out the middle then used a pen to push a hole though eh kevlar, wide enough that it would fit over the central bolt.

this image give a you a rough idea of the bolt its probably not that big but for showing the construction its good enough.

i then one by one placed four disks of kevlar on each side.

and then put the supplied washer over them.

i then bolted them down using the supplied bolt and the Kevlar sat a little like this pertruding though the sides of the diabolo, originally i intended to stop here but i found the Kevlar would catch the string and halt the diabolo completely.

so i pulled the Kevlar away from the sides into a sort of bunched up flower-eque formation, however it dint hold like this.

so i sewed though it with a large needle with Kevlar sting. though all 4 layers then across and though the other 4 holding it together in the formation, i used and industrial needle and pliers its not an easy job.

and finally i was left with this.

c: the diabolo comes without wicks so that's an extra expense
d: from the diabolo moves website: "It comes with fixings to add your own fire wicks in the center of each cup, or you could tie wick to the outer rims with kevlar string (which would act as a shock absorber)."
f: took me abut an hour and a half to two hours.
4: iv done a couple not really really high but high enough doesn't seem to go out although with enough force you could probably put it out
5: Dropped it once, no noticeable damage the thing is very very sturdy the most you'll be able to do with it its scratch / scuff it.
6: i think its stainless steel.

Richard

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 11:28:12 pm »
Awesome!

Thanks heaps!!

simonc95

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 01:41:30 am »
Awesome!

Thanks heaps!!