Author Topic: The winter slow down / summer speed up  (Read 26080 times)

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
The winter slow down / summer speed up
« on: October 25, 2005, 06:18:41 pm »
I was just looking at how little practice I had done in the last week or two compared to how much I used to practice and I havn't improved as much. The longer nights and crappy english weather are taking their toll. So I was wondering how everyone gets around it?
Behind your back is your front.

Martijn

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 06:25:18 pm »
Same here :( It's raining all day, it's cold and I can only practise 2 hours a week in the gym.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

je4d

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 07:23:03 pm »
Ooh, a bitch-about-the-weather thread!

It's now got to the point where it's still dim when I get up to go to work, and dark when I get back. I tried a few tricks on the way to the train station thismorning.. but it's kinda hard to keep up a good pace whilst concentrating on mini genocides :-/

Oh well, there's still weekends.. the weather was pretty good for the London Juggling Convention this weekend :)

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 07:50:34 pm »
You could always hire a squash court, or ask your school if you can use their hall.
As for your lack of progression, it could be that you are onto learning harder tricks now. Sorry to say it, but you cant always learn a new trick every day (unless you are Anthony Gatto apparently)

I have a membership to my local sports centre, so free squash court usage whenever i like (aswell as fitness studio and swimming pool) all for a mere £30 a month, sweet.

ThermoTubbie

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 08:33:48 pm »
Hi,
i juggle in a gym but only one day in a week :( The days between gym and gymI try not to kill things in my flat ^^

Keep on Juggling
ThermoTubbie
http://www.DiaboloTreff.de German Diabolo Forum

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 09:03:32 pm »
I already have 2 hours to play with on monday nights at my school juggling club to play with, I have a friend who has got a garage that used to be a dance hall in world war 1. I can use it quite often as he juggles and diabolos but I can't use it every night :cry: This sounds like quite a lot but it does only mean about 4 hours a week.

Still havn't seen anyone who isn't from our school at the club which is a shame. I know you guys from Chester could make it so go. It'd be good to see you there. (its only £2)

Cheers

seán_

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 09:41:36 pm »
Well this yeserday I had access to a church hall for 5 hrs since we had no workshops this week, then I went to Leeds Uni juggling, 7-10. Today I had the hall again for 3 hrs and will be there tomorrow as well.
Then Hullabaloo in leeds tomorrow night in the presence of awesome jugglers and diaboloists no doubt.

Only fly in the ointment is that I am under the weather and having an inconsistant time with my tricks :( (I still came up with a new genocide entry I'm quite chuffed with)

Mattias

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 09:56:19 pm »
Pff, when I was a child I lived in a carton and ate gravel...

Seriously though. -10 degrees celsius and snow, dark at around 4:30 PM and no way to get outside and play for atleast 5 months, and only availability is a gathering hall with way to low of a ceiling and to many chairs to lose your props under. So northern parts of sweden for the win...
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 10:11:11 pm »
Ah great, let us do the traditional British past time of complaining about the weather.  I've really wanted to practise some high stuff (any prop really) but have had very little opportunity to.  I live in a rather remote area and the local sports centre hires badminton courts out at £3 an hour, £3 AN HOUR!  That's not even your own personal court, you just get a lined off section in the large sports hall of 4 badminton courts.  What if you were in the middle, props everywhere...  

Schools aren't looking promising as when I finish work most of them are closed up for the day.  I feel bad about asking a church to use their halls.  There might be the possibility of doing it at work in one of the factories, but if I loose something under a machine, its a goner.  I used to practise in my back garden at home when the weather was nice, there was very little wind and I had loads of time.  Now it's cold, it's windy, it rains, I've got little flexible time, there's no juggling club within a 20min drive and I've annoyed at all my furniture in my tiny rented room which gets in the way of all my stick release tricks (my ceiling lampshade has seen better days, it came from IKEA I think).  And I'm all full of bitchiness too.

Well, at least that's out.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

seán_

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 10:23:48 pm »
Quote from: Mattias
Pff, when I was a child I lived in a carton and ate gravel...

luxury...  I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay millowner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

funny I was wondering about the Scandinavian  Canadian and cold US posters and how bad they must get it.

Lets pick on Jester, Jake the Cake and any other antipodeans who are just heading into their summer season

Mattias

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 10:56:53 pm »
Not that it matters to them since they probably have warmer winters than we have summers, atleast they dont have to wear 10 pounds of clothing to not freeze their arses of. I wanna live in a country that is exactly like sweden but have southern italy winters but swedish summers.
But alas, my record for cold is 45 degrees celsius below zero, and that is kind of possible 3 months of the year. And the summers last for 2. Insert more whining if needed...
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 12:13:21 am »
wow man, is that why sweden has the highest suicide rate in the world?... I know three circus people from norrkoping....anyways, I know this is nothing compared to northern sweden or england, but we have (in massachusetts) a forecast of snow for tonight and tomorrow!!!!1 that's unprecedented!!! this winter is going to be like, the king winter of snowdays, we've had 24 hurricanes already, which has broken the alltime (!) record. last year was 15, and we called that a big hurricane season. and big hurricane season means big snowstorm season. but snow, tomorrow!!! we often don't get snow till early decemeber. I practice in my school gym/library/foyer, which can all support 3 high with 4's (no 5's) and have big open areas with low afterschool populations.
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

seán_

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 12:18:41 am »
Our winters are quite mild really, just dismall, not that much snow really.

Luckily we in Leeds have two lovely club nights to juggle through the winter and a lovely convention on the 19th november to look forward to.

Seán (tempting fate)

kuollut_marsu

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 12:31:21 am »
Winter sucks... in finland it's now about -10 and its gonna be -30 in few weeks.. we have 2 hours of daylight in the winter...
Yeah...

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 02:25:28 am »
sharpe in your library o.0  man what would happen if I tried... lol...  My school stinks for indoor high practice.  I can barely get 3's inside...  I have a high 2 high pattern so my 3's get higher and higher and we've hit the ceiling before (mithew with his handsticks  8) )  anyways... do it in the cold and brave nature :D

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2005, 03:22:35 am »
SF is not so cold as for you guys (like 30º or 40º F) but the wind is a killer. i should see if i can use my university's gym some days..or i will be relegated to indoors. well, i need to work on my low 2d stuff anyhow  :roll:

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 08:53:18 am »
Like Seán said, it's just dismal here.  Currently it is very overcast and I'm not sure we'll ever see the sun today.  It's not the cold that bothers me because I warm up quite quickly when I juggle.  It's wind and rain that does me in.  I've been thinking of setting up a juggling skills session at the sports centre as it's been done before during the summer.  Need to do some more research on it as to what they used for props, as I don't have enough nor am going to part the money to buy them.  Also finding a convenient time for the kiddies is also an issue, and then there's a CBR check and what not.   But I was hoping to do it in exchange for free use of their gym hall if it was available.  Oh the issues...

Makes me wish just a bit that I was back at school with the big ceilings...

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2005, 10:58:56 am »
I've been practicing at home since our workshop died anyway, so it doesn't matter that it's cold and dark outside!  Ah, the benefits of a highish ceiling!

Edit - But I must get round to living somewhere that actually still has a juggling scene...

Squiggle

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 11:05:37 am »
jake the cake .....thats me !!!

anyway you's should all move down here  :D  .  so i could hopefuly have more diaboloists nearby  :twisted:      

ya im down in australia , tasmania ( little island down the bottom) and it didnt get dark here  till 8:30 pm and its not summer yet.

sorry  all u guys having to put up with the snow , cold , wind and rain.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 01:27:26 pm »
Move to ellesmere Port Barnesy! I'm thinking of starting a club at a sports hall somewhere so that I will have more than 2 hours a week in a room with high ceilings.