Author Topic: Any advice for string that goes through the handle?  (Read 5602 times)

ADubhlaoich

Any advice for string that goes through the handle?
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:34:02 pm »
Ordered DEOS handsticks from Oddballs last week; got them earlier today and spent a few minutes trying to string them to no avail. Tried just sliding/pushing it down and melting the end to a smaller tip, neither worked. Got suggestions to try and attach the ends to a thread and needle to push down but I think that sounds a bit excessively difficult. Is there a trick I'm unaware of? Been using Henry's short aluminums 'till now.
One of the Irish people lurking about.

Toddyupa

Re: Any advice for string that goes through the handle?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 04:23:06 am »
suck on the end of the string, or burn it a bit, or cut it again so it isn't frayed. Makes it much easier.
pretentious 12 year old

ADubhlaoich

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 01:30:05 pm »
I've tried all three with no success; I've managed to get the string through from bottom to top but not top to bottom. It seems to get snagged at the same point on both sticks.

Edit:

Looking through the sticks there seems to be a solid line near the bottom, right through the middle of both tubes. Is that supposed to be there?

Icebox

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 03:17:36 pm »
are you removing the end cap? they're designed to come off to make stringing much easier…

ADubhlaoich

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 05:22:28 pm »
The end caps do not appear to come off of this set.

Icebox

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 10:46:24 pm »
well the silicone handles will slide down the stick if you give it enough power, try sliding the handles down?

Wis

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 09:15:25 am »
Hey, the end cap (meaning the rear one) should be able to come out, if not, you should ask for a new pair in my eyes. More counting that the price is amazingly high.
To remove this rear cap more easily it may help to pull up a bit the lower part of the silicone and then pull down just the metallic cap.
Side note, this rear part is removable also to allow saving string, if you do not put the rear cap and make the knot ideally the string would go to the very top saving the length of the stick. In this first release it may not be possible though, due to some manufacturing issues that, hopefully, will be corrected in the next one.
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

ADubhlaoich

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 06:33:42 pm »
I thought Icebox meant the tip of the sticks (I've seen some sets where you can screw them on/off). After following the advice both of you gave I managed to slide the metal end off of the bottom of the sticks and have indeed verified the fact there is a solid piece of metal going straight through the centre of the tube. From a top/bottom view the tube looks like ( | ). I cannot for the life of me figure out why there would be a line in the middle; could someone who owns a pair tell me if theirs has that? I think I may be able to take a photo if anyone wants it.

I think I might be able to squeeze the string past it but I doubt I should have to. I e-mailed Oddballs about it and they've yet to respond.

Icebox

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 10:28:52 pm »
I have two pairs of these sticks, both of which came straight from Sylvestre, and neither of them have that metal barrier. I don't know why they would put that in there, I'd be very interested to see a little more explanation from oddballs or Sylvestre.

I don't know if it could just be an error in production? Is it like that in both sticks or just the one?

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 10:50:36 pm »
I just wanted to say, the sticks from Sylvestre do not have barriers but the new ones in production now do, Alistair realised this at EJC when he couldn't tie 2 pieces of string together inside the stick (which is a neat trick for string economy)

Icebox

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 10:57:34 pm »
Why are they doing that? Does it add integrity to the stick structurally? I don't know, I just don't really see why they would do that since the whole point of having removable endcaps was so that you could have string running through the stick to save string, and it seems like this addition ruins the concept.

ADubhlaoich

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 03:07:10 pm »
I guess I'm glad to know the barriers are deliberate but I'm pretty annoyed that they're there. Even with the end caps off I'm finding it difficult to string these; seems like the best way is to melt the ends and hope for the best. I am curious about why they're designed this way; If I'd known, I probably wouldn't have gotten a set.

CASERocks

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 03:21:16 am »
Here is a method I use to string my Sundia Carbon fibre sticks, which is also a hollow handle:

You need a lighter, a business card and a small glove.

1.  Put on the glove and fold the business card in half.
2.  Use the folded business card to pinch one end of the string, leaving a little string hanging out from the end of the card.
3. Use the lighter to burn the end of the string so it melts.
4.  Remove lighter, and quickly pull the string through the folded card.  Make sure to wear the glove to prevent burns.
5. If done right, you now have one end of the string pinched into a nice sharp point, which can be threaded easily!

ADubhlaoich

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 03:13:28 pm »
I ended up doing something similar to what you described to string these sticks. Unfortunately I've ran into a new predicament in that the knot actually fell inside the handle and is now trapped between the top of the hand sticks and the metal barrier near the bottom. This means if I cut the string a knot will just be left sitting loose inside the handle to get in the way (In addition to the barrier) but I cannot for the life of me come up with a solution to this problem short of trying to melt the knot out or somehow rip the top off.

ADubhlaoich

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 06:22:41 pm »
As a random update I decided to get a new set of DEOS sticks recently as I wanted another colour and they no longer include that arbitrary barrier through the centre of the tube meaning they are no more difficult to string than any other stick of its kind.

Coolaqw

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 01:52:43 am »
Pop the metal cap off its much easier

Icebox

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 01:53:41 am »
As a random update I decided to get a new set of DEOS sticks recently as I wanted another colour and they no longer include that arbitrary barrier through the centre of the tube meaning they are no more difficult to string than any other stick of its kind.

Awesome news! Except now I'm seriously considering buying a third pair of them and I really can't afford it…

Such is life as a diaboloist I guess :)