Author Topic: Sundia EVOLUTION Diabolos  (Read 28426 times)

kyoflow16

Sundia EVOLUTION Diabolos
« on: February 01, 2014, 10:56:59 pm »
package just came in from sundia :D these are sundia's newest line, the EVOLUTION (or EVO) series. they feature a metal band through the middle, and their new ICE material. these have not been patented yet so they will not be available for international sales for awhile.

Here are mine:

Here's Tony Frebourg and Ryo Yabe with some early prototypes:

and here's a promo for the limited edition gold run which sold out the day after release in Taiwan and Malaysia, which was well over a month ago:

I'll be doing a review on them at some point in the future. I dont have the exact specs of them, but from comparing them to my sun i know that they have a just every so slightly smaller diameter, they're slightly taller, and they are definitely lighter. mine also have the teflon/aluminum hybrid axel so that shaves about 5 grams off. also, as of right now, the only colors in production are blue, green, and red. the bands come in cupreous and silver. silver is less durable so i opted for the cupreous to begin with. once i get silver ones in the future i'll also be doing reviews on them.

AznnBoyaZ

Re: Sundia EVOLUTION Diabolos
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 11:04:56 pm »
DANG IT.
I was working on a CAD for something similar to this.
Not the exact idea, but something near it.
Its not a ring, more like a.. actually.

You know what? When I get the chance to prototype mine I'll release my idea.
But these look SUPER NICE. How did you get your hands on these babies?

kyoflow16

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 11:07:46 pm »
How did you get your hands on these babies?

that girl in between yabe and frebourg is a friend of mine :)

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 11:08:42 pm »
Super lucky. Hows pricing? seems like they would be expensive!

kyoflow16

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 11:10:23 pm »
Super lucky. Hows pricing? seems like they would be expensive!

I have no idea what the final sales price is going to be, and i have no idea if i'm supposed to say anything about how much i got them for...i'll tell you that shipping was damn expensive at $56 though...

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 11:12:46 pm »
Holy heck.

Also, I did some research. 70 bucks per diabolo, from what I saw. YIKES. I guess thats what adding metal does! bahaha!
In any case. Looking back, these actually are nothing like my idea, just appearance wise at first!

Although, this is one great idea! :)
Hopefully it's worth it!

kyoflow16

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 11:21:55 pm »
im pretty sure you found the pricing for the limited edition gold version? each year sundia picks a model to make a limited special color run, and they sell for insane prices.

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 12:13:17 am »
Nah, regular.

The gold one I found was about 35 bucks. but sold out, sadly :/

kyoflow16

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 12:34:28 am »
Nah, regular.

where did you see this?

kyoflow16

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 03:28:33 am »

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 04:38:28 pm »
thats the pricing for the gold edition..
and isnt that just over $60?

Also

Nah, regular.

I said for the Gold bahaha xD

and for the regular

kyoflow16

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 08:45:36 pm »
lol well what do you know, guess you're right

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 10:04:44 pm »
Woo! Haha.
How are they so far? :)

kyoflow16

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 10:35:17 pm »
Woo! Haha.
How are they so far? :)

they're a bit stiffer than the heavy suns, so they tend to bounce higher when dropped, and hurt more when you hit yourself. the metal is a bit annoying when doing 2d/3d corrections since they make a metallic sound, but it also sounds kinda cool. theyre lighter than the heavy suns so i'm trying to get used to it. they have an INSANE spin time though. also the metal seems to get scratched up pretty easily...

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 11:00:37 pm »
Hm, They probably should have put the metal IN the cup.
Lighter= a plus for me.
Light weight stuff is easier to maneuver imo.

The Pain factor worries me bahaha. Glary Taibolos are super soft and I dig it.
Hopefully my new Epics aren't too hard. Not a fan of super hard plastic.

Insane spin, is due to the high density of the metal. This diabolo is based on a Yoyo idea we call Hybrids.
Plastic with a metal ring. I'm guessing someone decided, Yoyos went there diabolos should too!

And inside the cup, that bump, is a weight distribution that's used in my favorite yoyo as well.

That's very clever. I like this a lot.
My only issue with Sundia diabolos, is the side of the axle piece. I like smaller axles Like taibolos.
But Sundias are so much more stable.

Again, Hopefully my new Epics live up to my expectations!

kyoflow16

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 11:17:21 pm »
lol i yoyo too, though i prefer really angular all metal designs. my main throw is yoyorecreation messiah. not a big fan of yoyojam :P

i'm not sure about you, but my arms are covered in scars from my diabolo and string burns. my lip is still scarred from when i cut it open practicing vertax so the pain factor is just kinda annoying ahah

also as far as axels go, i've used sundias all my life so i dont really know how any other daibolo feels
heres a crappy panorama of all the sundia models i've owned:

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 12:22:07 am »
lol i yoyo too, though i prefer really angular all metal designs. my main throw is yoyorecreation messiah. not a big fan of yoyojam :P

i'm not sure about you, but my arms are covered in scars from my diabolo and string burns. my lip is still scarred from when i cut it open practicing vertax so the pain factor is just kinda annoying ahah

also as far as axels go, i've used sundias all my life so i dont really know how any other daibolo feels
heres a crappy panorama of all the sundia models i've owned:

Which is the one, just before the Evo?

And I don't have a main throw. I have about 70 in my cases, and I rotate them all to be quite honest hahaha.

Can you name all the Sundias for me? I don't recognize some of em!
This will be a new learning experience. I didn't realize how many models they had!

And my arms are SO screwed up from vertex. I practice some pretty crazy stuff, and my Flys are so gashed from Concrete.
Then My arms are always a bloody mess after My sessions. I've grown to kinda like the way it feels to be honest. It's a problem xD
But I like the way scars look, so It doesn't bother me much at all.

kyoflow16

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 01:21:53 am »
Which is the one, just before the Evo?

And I don't have a main throw. I have about 70 in my cases, and I rotate them all to be quite honest hahaha.

Can you name all the Sundias for me? I don't recognize some of em!
This will be a new learning experience. I didn't realize how many models they had!

And my arms are SO screwed up from vertex. I practice some pretty crazy stuff, and my Flys are so gashed from Concrete.
Then My arms are always a bloody mess after My sessions. I've grown to kinda like the way it feels to be honest. It's a problem xD
But I like the way scars look, so It doesn't bother me much at all.

sundia fly with teflon bearing, marbled fly with teflon triple bearing, light sun with metal washers (255g), heavy sun with plastic washers (275g), shining with single aluminum bearing and black carbon fiber washers, heavy sun with metal washers (290g), shining with aluminum triple bearing and carbon fiber washers, heavy sun with pro teflon and aluminum axel with plastic washers (275g), sundia evo :D

i also own 3 sundia micro with teflon single bearing and a humming sundia teflon triple bearing monobolo

i do not own any of their ice or nimble models, though i have tried them in their store. both too light imo. i 3 sets of light kits, as well as their light sticks, and at least one stick from each of their main runs. i have two sundia diabolo bags, and a sundia stick bag. i also use both their thick, thin, pro, and water string. i also have 5 sundia european clubs, 3 sundia cigar boxes, and 2 sundia acrylic balls.

lol this tends to happen when i lived really close to their headquarters for a number of years

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 01:59:24 am »
I'm guessing Sundia is quite your thing eh? bahaha!

I honestly light heavy sticks, light diabolo, grippy string.
People say Epics play super light, and That peaked my interest.
Originally, I wanted the ICY and the Nimbles, funny how that works!
I may get the Icy with the Triple Competition bearing. Those new Competition bearings look super nice, with the smaller diameter bearing.

How are the Vertex Stick grinds with the ICY material?
And what Models have this washer? I love the way they look, MUCH more than the Carbon then the nut. Do you know what they're called?
They Do vertex grinds MUCH more nicely!

kyoflow16

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 02:32:45 am »
I'm guessing Sundia is quite your thing eh? bahaha!

I honestly light heavy sticks, light diabolo, grippy string.
People say Epics play super light, and That peaked my interest.
Originally, I wanted the ICY and the Nimbles, funny how that works!
I may get the Icy with the Triple Competition bearing. Those new Competition bearings look super nice, with the smaller diameter bearing.

How are the Vertex Stick grinds with the ICY material?
And what Models have this washer? I love the way they look, MUCH more than the Carbon then the nut. Do you know what they're called?
They Do vertex grinds MUCH more nicely!

lol in taiwan its super humid so we use very slippy string to make up for it. also i use deos sticks for all 1d and 2d work since i like their weight for integrals. for 3d i use sundia carbons to reduce fatigue since the grips are softer.
i didnt try vertax stick grinds with the icy material so i have no idea how that would work out. i tested icy mainly for multiple diabolo work to see how the surface responded to corrections and how the weight felt.

as far as those washers go, i believe they come with the fixed axel diabolos only...for any kind of bearing diabolo, you must use carbon fiber or steel washers. though if you want plastic washers for the sake of the weight drop, these will fit with a bearing axel:

kyoflow16

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 02:41:41 am »
heres a top view of all my diabolos for reference as far as washer type:

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 10:18:51 am »
Picture of Tony Frebourg made me laugh.

That's all.
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

Vyckinis

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 10:50:04 am »
yeah... Looking ugly as fhell. And those so-called gold color is more like friday-puke color... IMO.

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 04:12:26 pm »
That's super depressing to me. I HATE, absolutely DESPISE the way those plastic washers look :/

And Dang, You have one Beautiful collection. I admit. I do not like red, but Sundia knows a good red.
The EVO golds don't look as nice as they could, I do agreed. They should have gone for a more metallic sheen, rather than a greenish yellow.

The EVO's looj like they have a GREAT Washer/nut thing... I hope those fit other Sundia. If they do. I am so ordering some Sundia Triple comp bearing diabolos. Probably the Icys
And getting those washers on the side to replace em.

And as for 2D/3D
I actually like heavier sticks and shorter string for 3D.
Shorter than my 1 and 2D, which is odd. I sorta just make do with the same length, as Tricks feel better with a tad longer string.
Heavy sticks with light diabolos, makes 3D feel.. Stronger I guess? Hard to explain.

kyoflow16

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 03:13:37 am »
yeah... Looking ugly as fhell. And those so-called gold color is more like friday-puke color... IMO.

to each his own opinion. i for one believe form follows function, and that they dont look half bad with the silver bands:

That's super depressing to me. I HATE, absolutely DESPISE the way those plastic washers look :/

And Dang, You have one Beautiful collection. I admit. I do not like red, but Sundia knows a good red.
The EVO golds don't look as nice as they could, I do agreed. They should have gone for a more metallic sheen, rather than a greenish yellow.

The EVO's looj like they have a GREAT Washer/nut thing... I hope those fit other Sundia. If they do. I am so ordering some Sundia Triple comp bearing diabolos. Probably the Icys
And getting those washers on the side to replace em.

And as for 2D/3D
I actually like heavier sticks and shorter string for 3D.
Shorter than my 1 and 2D, which is odd. I sorta just make do with the same length, as Tricks feel better with a tad longer string.
Heavy sticks with light diabolos, makes 3D feel.. Stronger I guess? Hard to explain.

addressing the gold color, its that color due to the material used. its not the classic shiny sundia material.

as for the evo washer/nut, it's also for fixed bearings only...

but thats interesting that you use shorter string for 3D. i use much longer string for 3D. im working on 4D (progress is slow compared to my other friends back in taiwan...) so i find it hard to fit that many diabolos on any shorter string

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 10:20:50 pm »
I like that SILVER. The Blue is so gorgeous as well.
I'm the Yin to your yang. all about the cool toned blues!

And Shorter string x heavy sticks = more control imo!
only like a bit less than an inch. not really much more than that.
That was to get a hold of the shuffle mainly. For tricks. Regular length!

nev

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 09:49:49 am »
I've had these in the UK since before Xmas but unfortunately not for sale in this part of the world until the design protection was in place (too many copies of previous Sundia designs).

I've had a good chance to put the Evo through testing and I can say in my honest opinion that they really do play extremely well.  They weigh only 250g but are more stable and maintain spin better than any other comparable Diabolo I own (and i own a LOT).

The design protection is finally done and these are now cleared for European sale.
http://www.diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=260
Very limited stock of the gold version - most were reserved for the Asian market so there are only a handful in Europe.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Graham Milligan

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2014, 10:01:34 am »
Do they only come in that one colour? interested in buying one to give it a go but dont really want to spend £35 if its gonna be that colour
Some Craic!

nev

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2014, 10:09:09 am »
Regular production colours are Red Green & Blue and will be available as soon as they arrive in the UK in a week or two.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Graham Milligan

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 08:29:21 pm »
cool!
Some Craic!

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2014, 03:18:26 pm »
I'm very eager to try these out! I hope they work well.
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

nev

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 03:38:46 pm »
Regular colours are in stock now

MBg4

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 09:24:48 pm »
http://www.yoyosam.com/p-2351-sundia-evo-or-evolution-diabolo.aspx
They're being sold here! (Friendlier shipping from where I live)

jhonzon

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2014, 11:21:18 am »
They look awesome looking forward to testing them. It would be nice to have a review do =P (marco=P)

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2014, 09:04:33 am »
Haha, I'll see what I can do review wise ;) will be doing one in Finnish anyways so might as well translate it...

nev

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2014, 10:38:32 am »
I could do a review, but I'm probably not the best person to do so given my vested interest - better to wait for some unbiased objective opinions

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 08:38:10 am »

Got them!  ::)

kamikace

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2014, 04:04:48 pm »
Shouldn't the inertia ring be at the widest part, near to the rim?
Rooted diabolist.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2014, 06:33:19 pm »
I agree that it should be in the rim. However that's also the place where diabolo gets most of the hits. This would cause lot of stress on the metal. The way I see it, this is currently a compromise between durability and inertia.

Also the other way around if it would indestructable diabolo, like a wolverine of diabolos,  destroy everything it hits.

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2014, 07:45:48 pm »
Actually, Just being kinda spoil sport.
The Ring being right in the Middle does it it much better. If the weight was placed on the very edge, you would feel it being heavier.
The logic is hard to understand, but with yoyos that are Hybrid (Metal x Plastic) I see the ring placed on a Similar spot. Not all.
But I find ones like that tend to have more stability and less bulk.

I may have posted this already. But just for you guys wondering!

The other benefit is,if the weight is concentrated on that area, and the rims are thin, then it would feel and play like a small rim weighted diabolo but act like a arge very light diabolo, without the decreased stability :)

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2014, 08:37:10 pm »
Haha, you're not spoiling anything.  :-D

As I see you posting this picture of the yo-yo again and again I'm inclined to comment on it. Now take the picture you just posted and compare it again to pictures of Sundia Evolution. In your pic there the weight rim is placed about 1/3 of each edge. Being about 1/3 wide. If you look at the Sundia Evo you can see that it clearly is placed closer to the first third of diabolo cup. Being quite a lot on the hub side. I think this is what Kamikace and I mean when we say it's little center weighted.

What comes to rim weight on yo-yos... well. There are good that have weight on the rim and good ones with weight on the middle. If I would defend the rim weight here I could take the classic hybrids like Hitman, Dark Magic. Weight on the outer rim and good throws. I know that they are old. Hitman being...from 03 or 04?

If you're looking for fresh examples. From the top of my head I would say Protostar that has the weight inside the cup but on the far side of the rim. And that yoyo still being massively popular model and generally thought as amazing throw with good price point. If you grab a metal yo-yo you can find the weight on the rim pretty easily on quite many yo-yos, name dropping C3 Dark Sonic, Gnarwhal, 888x, SPYY Supra as they are sitting on my table and I can see clearly where the weight ring is placed. I don't think these yo-yos are anyway less stable than the yo-yo's with rim weight more to the middle.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that having weight in mid rim makes diabolo or yo-yo better. There are many ways you can make a good diab or yoyo. But what I would like to see is the Sundia Evo having the weight ring little bit further on the edge. I hope this post clears up my reasoning to you.

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2014, 09:48:37 pm »
Totally makes sense! I do love me some of those models, but (probably being a bit biased) my favorite throws all seem to have that middle-ish weighting. It is generally preference, and you totally have seniority in yoyo and diabolo (3 and 7 years respectfully), And I do see that it is much closer to the center. Perhaps that's why they changed the axle piece, and used plastic and a smaller axle rather than the very large metal axle, to simulate the old feeling but cut out the center weight as much as possible?
Hmm, If that makes sens haha!

aaro

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2014, 07:46:51 pm »
Got mine today.
Sundia Evolution, first impression:
Good diabolo, more stable than other diabolos the same weight. Smooth like velvet, bit like it had a bearing, which leads to some problems, can be hard to "feel" the diabolo. Tad too light for my liking, would be interesting to try heavier diab with the stability rings. Can recommend, unless you like your diabolos heavy.

ASamJ2K

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2014, 06:27:10 pm »
I got mine yester day, it is so smooth that it almost feels like a bearing and doing finger grinds feels better then doing it with a Taibolo, The cups have just enough flex so it wont shatter on pavement . The two big down sides to this diabolo is that: most Sundia products let you switch between bearing or fixed, this one is fixed and stays fixed. and when you add the light kit in it doesn't look a cool as a shining diabolo. I over all recommend as a day time Practice and/or  day time  performance.
Diabolo lets me be me

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2014, 12:04:50 am »
Hey guys! Bumping this up, as I am starting to itch to try these bad boys!
Any reviews? :)

Graham Milligan

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2014, 12:15:04 am »
Yeh, tried them at the BJC and they are pretty nice.

Alright for integrals, body moves etc. and as Aaro said, they keep their stability at slow speeds a bit longer but still dont spin as long as the heavier Finesse/Suns would etc.

Im not great at numbers myself but as im sure most people saw on Ronnies video they are good enough to run 4 without many problems but i'll let someone else confirm that.
Some Craic!

Graham Milligan

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2014, 12:17:38 am »
if i had a spare £100 odd to spend purely on diabolos i'd probably get a few.
Some Craic!

tyson_11

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2014, 10:39:05 am »

I've had a few questions about them so i thought i'd review them here. First impressions- I love the design of them, definitely my favourite diabolo visually. They play really nice for 3 diabolo tricks but not ones involving wraps due to how slippery they are, (but that may be an unworn axle thing). They feel a little hard to control for 4 so far compared to my epics because of how slippery they feel, but again that could just be a new axle thing. I'll be able to review more once they've worn in a bit more.

JT

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2014, 12:01:21 pm »
Does anyone have any footage of the blue version of these in action? I'm about to order some but still cant decide between green and blue :S I know colour doesn't really matter, but I perform often so I'm a bit picky.

Cheers.

Timo

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2014, 01:43:01 pm »
Does anyone have any footage of the blue version of these in action? I'm about to order some but still cant decide between green and blue :S I know colour doesn't really matter, but I perform often so I'm a bit picky.

Cheers.
Mabe you've seen that, but in this video is also the blue one:

MBg4

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2014, 09:08:23 pm »
The new 3rd FDC 2014 video has Samuli using the blue ones.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFouRCoUmzw&feature=youtu.be

hOOk3r

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2014, 06:35:29 pm »
does the expensiveness of the diabolo worth?I mean,the are about 15€ more expensive than taibolos,are they much  better?

samuli

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2014, 08:39:28 am »
Yes, as some of you might noticed from FDC2014 video, I am using these Evolution diabolos and I must say that I like them. I used Epic A-dreams before these and I liked them a lot too. But as I took these evolution diabolos out for the first test I never went to back Epic's. Everything felt good.

as for the specs:
Diameter 125mm
Width 144mm
Weight 250g

So the Evolution is smaller than A-dream and it is also much lighter than A-dream. the Axle of this evolution is really really light and the aluminium stability ring brings the weight more towards the rims. I bet there has been done quite big compromises here, but it works. I like how effortlessly this thing plays. No need to use force to make it spin, it is light and stable to play and it bounces higher than any other diabolo I have tried.

I still have my Epic A-dreams too but I use them only when we  perform [heresy] as we use those diabolos in the performance. At the moment I really like these evolution diabolos but I have never own taibolo so I can't really compare these to those.

www.fdc2016.org /www.supiainen.com

Noé Bourdon

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2014, 05:04:58 pm »
Are Sundia Evo better than Epic a dream?

ASamJ2K

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2014, 12:06:41 am »
Are Sundia Evo better than Epic a dream?

No, I find the Sundia EVOS a bit to slippery and too lite. Epics are comfortable but don't slide to much and they have enough weight to be fast and stable.
I am not saying the EVOs are bad but this is my opinion and everyone has different taste. ;) 
Diabolo lets me be me

Scharling

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2015, 04:37:03 pm »
Does anyone mind writing a short (or long) review of them? I'd like to know how they act computer to Epics, suns, taibolos and so on. Thanks!

//Scharling

Graham Milligan

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2015, 09:37:57 pm »
Does anyone mind writing a short (or long) review of them? I'd like to know how they act computer to Epics, suns, taibolos and so on. Thanks!

//Scharling

If i had some, i would. but they are trés expensive and i have too many new(ish) diabolos already to feel comfortable buying them
Some Craic!

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2015, 12:12:15 am »

//Scharling

It would be my pleasure...

Since I layed my eyes on them at BJC 2015 I knew that I would love them. I think that the style is very subjective, I love it because I feel that it looks very modern however I know others that would beg to differ. The metal ring is the most eye-catching of all and find it to be very functional too, the weighting just feels perfect. The only reason why I stopped using my suns was because I found them too heavy, it felt like the axle was heavy and as a result the cups had to be heavy to compensate for it, whether this was the case  I have no idea, I'm just wildly speculating. In any case that has definitely changed, the axle is (I believe) partially made of stainless steel and partially made of aluminium which makes it very light compares to the older one. I find the colour scheme to be very compelling, It sort of reminds me of the fascinate diabolos, in that the colours on the outside are more like accents as opposed to dominating the whole diabolo.

That's enough about style though, you can probably make your mind up from the pictures. How they compare against other diabolos is what the review is meant to be all about. Well they have been the only diabolos that I have been using for the last half a year (which is saying something, the last time I used a diabolo for this long was when I used my epics. They are much shorter than epics (and by much shorter I mean a centimetre or two) however they feel much better weighted. They are also much lighter, people think that the aluminium rings will make them much heavier however this is not the case. Sometimes when using epics (and typhoons for that matter) I got the impression that the the diabolos tilted just from using them and I found myself needing to correct them which is not that helpful when doing 3, 4 and more (teehee) diabolos. This may just be my imagination but I feel that (in the case of the epics) it is because of the large hubs, they make it easier to catch the diabolos however if they diabolo lands on them then it can turn, this can be a plus however, especially when doing diabolo high. One thing that I was afraid of was that the string would get caught on the aluminium rings which has unfortunately happened in the past when using the Finesse diabolos with the JC ultralight kit, however I am glad to report that there have been no such problems,

The name is good however it wouldn't have been all that bad if Sundia had called them the Sun Gen II, they are flat-out the best diabolos when it comes to doing suns with multiple diabolos. The first thing I heard when I gave them to Robin to play around with was that fts 53* felt just like 42* (after which he went on to do some insane 4D fts combo while riding a unicycle on a tightrope and disproving Fermat's last theorem, If I recall correctly) which is something that I completely agree with. I had a problem before I started using them where I could so multiple suns (basically a c-fan) with 3d and suns with a pause where 2 would go bye and then do another one, however I just couldn't do proper beated suns which was a real problem when I wanted to do continuous 53*, however after a couple of tries I got the hang of them,which came as a real relief.

In summary they are, without a doubt, the best diabolos I have ever used and I wish that I was better at integrals to give a proper review of them from other perspectives however numbers is what I do and they have served me well for that. At least this gives others the opportunity to contribute as well.

I hope that people have found this review helpful!

MBg4

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2015, 08:36:15 pm »
Great review Ronnie.
However, me myself would also like to hear how they do with integrals. They look like pretty good all-around diabolos and definitely peak in multiple diabolo play according to Ronnie. How do they do on concrete?

I was thinking of buying a new set of all-around diabolos and these Sundia EVOs look pretty nice. I am also considering:
- Suns (or shining fixed)
- Epic-A-Dreams
- Henry's Circus with TK2 (or any other kits)
Does anyone have any opinions on the best diabolo for every type of play? Are these Sundia EVOs better or just as good as the other diabolos listed in the all-around aspect?

nev

• Donator
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2015, 01:30:01 am »
That's a nice impartial review Ronnie - Thanks for finding the time to talk about these.

I won't give a review as such simply because I am a seller of Sundia and want to remain impartial, but I'll give some technical clarification on some points you raised...

The turn you talk about when you catch some other Diabolos off axle was very much a consideration in the design of the Evo - the aircraft grade aluminium side parts to the axle and the hubs are designed to minimise string friction if you catch off axle while the stainless steel central part (the bit the string is in contact with most) provides durability - and the cups have also been given special treatment to minimise string / stick friction - they come out of the mould shiny and smooth but are then sandblasted as a secondary treatment to reduce string friction and keep everything much more stable and make corrections much easier.  The end result is a Diabolo which is both relatively lightweight at 250g but also stays in line and maintains stability and spin much better than the previous offerings and is more stable than much heavier diabolos.

I'm not the best at integrals either but given that they have exceptional stability and the ability to hold spin at very low speeds ive been told by some very good intergral players who have tried them that although they were primarily designed for numbers they work extreamly well for this purpose also

Basically the Sundia EVO was designed from scratch (money no object) to offer the best possible technical fixed axle Diabolo available at any money today! - It was designed and manufactured by people who are very good at, and care very much about progressing Diabolo - even the people who work the machines in the factory are world class Diabolo players!

Edit - I can definitely say these are simply superb for long 2d combos - that one i do know ;)

JT

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2015, 03:14:47 am »
I really enjoy these over the others I have tried. Good for numbers as everyone has established. Initially I was worried that since they are smaller it would be too similar to using the crappy commercial brands (yoho here in Australia) however the stability is up with the others, if not better. The size actually makes my string feel longer and gives me more room, which is great for 3+. Also less exhausting for longer practice sessions. My Tiabolos feel fat by comparison.

Regarding integrals. I personally haven't noticed a difference between diabolos. Stick and string seems to be the main contributing factor for integrals. Stability for me is rarely an issues, I usually mess up for another reason. Relative weight might also be a problems (too heavy sticks and a light diabolo is a pain for me). Stability may become an issue for some longer 2d combos but I can't say.

Jordan.

MBg4

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2015, 05:10:04 pm »
 I ordered 4 last night for 32 Canadian Dollars (22.50 euro) each! Some sort of sale that was going only t'il last night. Am I gonna be experiencing this "new axle" bearing feel and does it go away once broken in? I hope I like them more than I would've liked epics.

Sam.w

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2015, 01:22:43 am »
I have a few questions for you guys...
would you recommend this diabolo
what is the weight and size
and I saw all those pictures of the other diabolos up there and I don't know what websites to look on to get new diabolos so basically what are the websites that you use to get new diabolos

ASamJ2K

« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2015, 02:33:58 am »
hey MBg4,
Did you get your evos? if you did what do you think of theme
Diabolo lets me be me

Wis

« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2015, 08:33:22 am »
Hi Sam.w

I would like to recommend you to read this thread, it is a bit old (note to oneself update it, I accept volunteers to help :) ) but it will give you a very great feeling of what differentiates diabolos
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3166.msg38358#msg38358
and read a bit around here, it is normal to feel confused at the beginning do not worry
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.msg3#msg3

Once done that I would suggest to read about the following diabolos (use the search feature of the forum, up and right corner of the website, and read some titles of the Gear board): Taibolos v2, Sundia EVO and previous, Epic diabolos, Circus, and Finesse. Any of these is very good, although some are better.

About the weight of the diabolos this is something that can be found in maximum 3 minutes using google. But let me help you this time:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sundia+EVOLUTION+weight

About the selling websites, we usually do not list them in the forum. You can PM somebody if you want advice, but it should be easy to go to google, check the price of the diabolo, check the shipping cost, take a calculator and choose the cheapest for a given diabolo. We can also discuss whether we want to list hem or not. Maybe it is a good idea.

If after this you have questions that are not related to Sundia EVOs better create a new thread, or look for an existing one that contains the info you are looking for.

Welcome, good luck, and have fun
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

Sam.w

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2015, 11:44:38 pm »
I GOT MINE  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
i love them the are very good for numbers and gain speed really quickly the axles are a bit slick at the beginning but i think they will get better and plus they look sick i would recommend them also i ordered them from higgins brothers and they came in 3 days so for anyone in canada i would recommend ordering from there because they come so fast. there is not many diabolos on there website but just email them and ask because they have a lot just not on the website