Author Topic: Sundia EVOLUTION Diabolos  (Read 26985 times)

AznnBoyaZ

Re: Sundia EVOLUTION Diabolos
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2014, 07:45:48 pm »
Actually, Just being kinda spoil sport.
The Ring being right in the Middle does it it much better. If the weight was placed on the very edge, you would feel it being heavier.
The logic is hard to understand, but with yoyos that are Hybrid (Metal x Plastic) I see the ring placed on a Similar spot. Not all.
But I find ones like that tend to have more stability and less bulk.

I may have posted this already. But just for you guys wondering!

The other benefit is,if the weight is concentrated on that area, and the rims are thin, then it would feel and play like a small rim weighted diabolo but act like a arge very light diabolo, without the decreased stability :)

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2014, 08:37:10 pm »
Haha, you're not spoiling anything.  :-D

As I see you posting this picture of the yo-yo again and again I'm inclined to comment on it. Now take the picture you just posted and compare it again to pictures of Sundia Evolution. In your pic there the weight rim is placed about 1/3 of each edge. Being about 1/3 wide. If you look at the Sundia Evo you can see that it clearly is placed closer to the first third of diabolo cup. Being quite a lot on the hub side. I think this is what Kamikace and I mean when we say it's little center weighted.

What comes to rim weight on yo-yos... well. There are good that have weight on the rim and good ones with weight on the middle. If I would defend the rim weight here I could take the classic hybrids like Hitman, Dark Magic. Weight on the outer rim and good throws. I know that they are old. Hitman being...from 03 or 04?

If you're looking for fresh examples. From the top of my head I would say Protostar that has the weight inside the cup but on the far side of the rim. And that yoyo still being massively popular model and generally thought as amazing throw with good price point. If you grab a metal yo-yo you can find the weight on the rim pretty easily on quite many yo-yos, name dropping C3 Dark Sonic, Gnarwhal, 888x, SPYY Supra as they are sitting on my table and I can see clearly where the weight ring is placed. I don't think these yo-yos are anyway less stable than the yo-yo's with rim weight more to the middle.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that having weight in mid rim makes diabolo or yo-yo better. There are many ways you can make a good diab or yoyo. But what I would like to see is the Sundia Evo having the weight ring little bit further on the edge. I hope this post clears up my reasoning to you.

«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2014, 09:48:37 pm »
Totally makes sense! I do love me some of those models, but (probably being a bit biased) my favorite throws all seem to have that middle-ish weighting. It is generally preference, and you totally have seniority in yoyo and diabolo (3 and 7 years respectfully), And I do see that it is much closer to the center. Perhaps that's why they changed the axle piece, and used plastic and a smaller axle rather than the very large metal axle, to simulate the old feeling but cut out the center weight as much as possible?
Hmm, If that makes sens haha!

aaro

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2014, 07:46:51 pm »
Got mine today.
Sundia Evolution, first impression:
Good diabolo, more stable than other diabolos the same weight. Smooth like velvet, bit like it had a bearing, which leads to some problems, can be hard to "feel" the diabolo. Tad too light for my liking, would be interesting to try heavier diab with the stability rings. Can recommend, unless you like your diabolos heavy.

ASamJ2K

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2014, 06:27:10 pm »
I got mine yester day, it is so smooth that it almost feels like a bearing and doing finger grinds feels better then doing it with a Taibolo, The cups have just enough flex so it wont shatter on pavement . The two big down sides to this diabolo is that: most Sundia products let you switch between bearing or fixed, this one is fixed and stays fixed. and when you add the light kit in it doesn't look a cool as a shining diabolo. I over all recommend as a day time Practice and/or  day time  performance.
Diabolo lets me be me

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2014, 12:04:50 am »
Hey guys! Bumping this up, as I am starting to itch to try these bad boys!
Any reviews? :)

Graham Milligan

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2014, 12:15:04 am »
Yeh, tried them at the BJC and they are pretty nice.

Alright for integrals, body moves etc. and as Aaro said, they keep their stability at slow speeds a bit longer but still dont spin as long as the heavier Finesse/Suns would etc.

Im not great at numbers myself but as im sure most people saw on Ronnies video they are good enough to run 4 without many problems but i'll let someone else confirm that.
Some Craic!

Graham Milligan

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2014, 12:17:38 am »
if i had a spare £100 odd to spend purely on diabolos i'd probably get a few.
Some Craic!

tyson_11

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2014, 10:39:05 am »

I've had a few questions about them so i thought i'd review them here. First impressions- I love the design of them, definitely my favourite diabolo visually. They play really nice for 3 diabolo tricks but not ones involving wraps due to how slippery they are, (but that may be an unworn axle thing). They feel a little hard to control for 4 so far compared to my epics because of how slippery they feel, but again that could just be a new axle thing. I'll be able to review more once they've worn in a bit more.

JT

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2014, 12:01:21 pm »
Does anyone have any footage of the blue version of these in action? I'm about to order some but still cant decide between green and blue :S I know colour doesn't really matter, but I perform often so I'm a bit picky.

Cheers.

Timo

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2014, 01:43:01 pm »
Does anyone have any footage of the blue version of these in action? I'm about to order some but still cant decide between green and blue :S I know colour doesn't really matter, but I perform often so I'm a bit picky.

Cheers.
Mabe you've seen that, but in this video is also the blue one:

MBg4

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2014, 09:08:23 pm »
The new 3rd FDC 2014 video has Samuli using the blue ones.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hFouRCoUmzw&feature=youtu.be

hOOk3r

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2014, 06:35:29 pm »
does the expensiveness of the diabolo worth?I mean,the are about 15€ more expensive than taibolos,are they much  better?

samuli

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2014, 08:39:28 am »
Yes, as some of you might noticed from FDC2014 video, I am using these Evolution diabolos and I must say that I like them. I used Epic A-dreams before these and I liked them a lot too. But as I took these evolution diabolos out for the first test I never went to back Epic's. Everything felt good.

as for the specs:
Diameter 125mm
Width 144mm
Weight 250g

So the Evolution is smaller than A-dream and it is also much lighter than A-dream. the Axle of this evolution is really really light and the aluminium stability ring brings the weight more towards the rims. I bet there has been done quite big compromises here, but it works. I like how effortlessly this thing plays. No need to use force to make it spin, it is light and stable to play and it bounces higher than any other diabolo I have tried.

I still have my Epic A-dreams too but I use them only when we  perform [heresy] as we use those diabolos in the performance. At the moment I really like these evolution diabolos but I have never own taibolo so I can't really compare these to those.

www.fdc2016.org /www.supiainen.com

Noé Bourdon

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2014, 05:04:58 pm »
Are Sundia Evo better than Epic a dream?

ASamJ2K

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2014, 12:06:41 am »
Are Sundia Evo better than Epic a dream?

No, I find the Sundia EVOS a bit to slippery and too lite. Epics are comfortable but don't slide to much and they have enough weight to be fast and stable.
I am not saying the EVOs are bad but this is my opinion and everyone has different taste. ;) 
Diabolo lets me be me

Scharling

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2015, 04:37:03 pm »
Does anyone mind writing a short (or long) review of them? I'd like to know how they act computer to Epics, suns, taibolos and so on. Thanks!

//Scharling

Graham Milligan

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2015, 09:37:57 pm »
Does anyone mind writing a short (or long) review of them? I'd like to know how they act computer to Epics, suns, taibolos and so on. Thanks!

//Scharling

If i had some, i would. but they are trés expensive and i have too many new(ish) diabolos already to feel comfortable buying them
Some Craic!

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2015, 12:12:15 am »

//Scharling

It would be my pleasure...

Since I layed my eyes on them at BJC 2015 I knew that I would love them. I think that the style is very subjective, I love it because I feel that it looks very modern however I know others that would beg to differ. The metal ring is the most eye-catching of all and find it to be very functional too, the weighting just feels perfect. The only reason why I stopped using my suns was because I found them too heavy, it felt like the axle was heavy and as a result the cups had to be heavy to compensate for it, whether this was the case  I have no idea, I'm just wildly speculating. In any case that has definitely changed, the axle is (I believe) partially made of stainless steel and partially made of aluminium which makes it very light compares to the older one. I find the colour scheme to be very compelling, It sort of reminds me of the fascinate diabolos, in that the colours on the outside are more like accents as opposed to dominating the whole diabolo.

That's enough about style though, you can probably make your mind up from the pictures. How they compare against other diabolos is what the review is meant to be all about. Well they have been the only diabolos that I have been using for the last half a year (which is saying something, the last time I used a diabolo for this long was when I used my epics. They are much shorter than epics (and by much shorter I mean a centimetre or two) however they feel much better weighted. They are also much lighter, people think that the aluminium rings will make them much heavier however this is not the case. Sometimes when using epics (and typhoons for that matter) I got the impression that the the diabolos tilted just from using them and I found myself needing to correct them which is not that helpful when doing 3, 4 and more (teehee) diabolos. This may just be my imagination but I feel that (in the case of the epics) it is because of the large hubs, they make it easier to catch the diabolos however if they diabolo lands on them then it can turn, this can be a plus however, especially when doing diabolo high. One thing that I was afraid of was that the string would get caught on the aluminium rings which has unfortunately happened in the past when using the Finesse diabolos with the JC ultralight kit, however I am glad to report that there have been no such problems,

The name is good however it wouldn't have been all that bad if Sundia had called them the Sun Gen II, they are flat-out the best diabolos when it comes to doing suns with multiple diabolos. The first thing I heard when I gave them to Robin to play around with was that fts 53* felt just like 42* (after which he went on to do some insane 4D fts combo while riding a unicycle on a tightrope and disproving Fermat's last theorem, If I recall correctly) which is something that I completely agree with. I had a problem before I started using them where I could so multiple suns (basically a c-fan) with 3d and suns with a pause where 2 would go bye and then do another one, however I just couldn't do proper beated suns which was a real problem when I wanted to do continuous 53*, however after a couple of tries I got the hang of them,which came as a real relief.

In summary they are, without a doubt, the best diabolos I have ever used and I wish that I was better at integrals to give a proper review of them from other perspectives however numbers is what I do and they have served me well for that. At least this gives others the opportunity to contribute as well.

I hope that people have found this review helpful!

MBg4

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2015, 08:36:15 pm »
Great review Ronnie.
However, me myself would also like to hear how they do with integrals. They look like pretty good all-around diabolos and definitely peak in multiple diabolo play according to Ronnie. How do they do on concrete?

I was thinking of buying a new set of all-around diabolos and these Sundia EVOs look pretty nice. I am also considering:
- Suns (or shining fixed)
- Epic-A-Dreams
- Henry's Circus with TK2 (or any other kits)
Does anyone have any opinions on the best diabolo for every type of play? Are these Sundia EVOs better or just as good as the other diabolos listed in the all-around aspect?