Author Topic: Sundia EVOLUTION Diabolos  (Read 28374 times)

kyoflow16

Sundia EVOLUTION Diabolos
« on: February 01, 2014, 10:56:59 pm »
package just came in from sundia :D these are sundia's newest line, the EVOLUTION (or EVO) series. they feature a metal band through the middle, and their new ICE material. these have not been patented yet so they will not be available for international sales for awhile.

Here are mine:

Here's Tony Frebourg and Ryo Yabe with some early prototypes:

and here's a promo for the limited edition gold run which sold out the day after release in Taiwan and Malaysia, which was well over a month ago:

I'll be doing a review on them at some point in the future. I dont have the exact specs of them, but from comparing them to my sun i know that they have a just every so slightly smaller diameter, they're slightly taller, and they are definitely lighter. mine also have the teflon/aluminum hybrid axel so that shaves about 5 grams off. also, as of right now, the only colors in production are blue, green, and red. the bands come in cupreous and silver. silver is less durable so i opted for the cupreous to begin with. once i get silver ones in the future i'll also be doing reviews on them.

AznnBoyaZ

Re: Sundia EVOLUTION Diabolos
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 11:04:56 pm »
DANG IT.
I was working on a CAD for something similar to this.
Not the exact idea, but something near it.
Its not a ring, more like a.. actually.

You know what? When I get the chance to prototype mine I'll release my idea.
But these look SUPER NICE. How did you get your hands on these babies?

kyoflow16

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 11:07:46 pm »
How did you get your hands on these babies?

that girl in between yabe and frebourg is a friend of mine :)

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 11:08:42 pm »
Super lucky. Hows pricing? seems like they would be expensive!

kyoflow16

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 11:10:23 pm »
Super lucky. Hows pricing? seems like they would be expensive!

I have no idea what the final sales price is going to be, and i have no idea if i'm supposed to say anything about how much i got them for...i'll tell you that shipping was damn expensive at $56 though...

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 11:12:46 pm »
Holy heck.

Also, I did some research. 70 bucks per diabolo, from what I saw. YIKES. I guess thats what adding metal does! bahaha!
In any case. Looking back, these actually are nothing like my idea, just appearance wise at first!

Although, this is one great idea! :)
Hopefully it's worth it!

kyoflow16

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 11:21:55 pm »
im pretty sure you found the pricing for the limited edition gold version? each year sundia picks a model to make a limited special color run, and they sell for insane prices.

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 12:13:17 am »
Nah, regular.

The gold one I found was about 35 bucks. but sold out, sadly :/

kyoflow16

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 12:34:28 am »
Nah, regular.

where did you see this?

kyoflow16

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 03:28:33 am »

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 04:38:28 pm »
thats the pricing for the gold edition..
and isnt that just over $60?

Also

Nah, regular.

I said for the Gold bahaha xD

and for the regular

kyoflow16

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 08:45:36 pm »
lol well what do you know, guess you're right

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 10:04:44 pm »
Woo! Haha.
How are they so far? :)

kyoflow16

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 10:35:17 pm »
Woo! Haha.
How are they so far? :)

they're a bit stiffer than the heavy suns, so they tend to bounce higher when dropped, and hurt more when you hit yourself. the metal is a bit annoying when doing 2d/3d corrections since they make a metallic sound, but it also sounds kinda cool. theyre lighter than the heavy suns so i'm trying to get used to it. they have an INSANE spin time though. also the metal seems to get scratched up pretty easily...

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 11:00:37 pm »
Hm, They probably should have put the metal IN the cup.
Lighter= a plus for me.
Light weight stuff is easier to maneuver imo.

The Pain factor worries me bahaha. Glary Taibolos are super soft and I dig it.
Hopefully my new Epics aren't too hard. Not a fan of super hard plastic.

Insane spin, is due to the high density of the metal. This diabolo is based on a Yoyo idea we call Hybrids.
Plastic with a metal ring. I'm guessing someone decided, Yoyos went there diabolos should too!

And inside the cup, that bump, is a weight distribution that's used in my favorite yoyo as well.

That's very clever. I like this a lot.
My only issue with Sundia diabolos, is the side of the axle piece. I like smaller axles Like taibolos.
But Sundias are so much more stable.

Again, Hopefully my new Epics live up to my expectations!

kyoflow16

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 11:17:21 pm »
lol i yoyo too, though i prefer really angular all metal designs. my main throw is yoyorecreation messiah. not a big fan of yoyojam :P

i'm not sure about you, but my arms are covered in scars from my diabolo and string burns. my lip is still scarred from when i cut it open practicing vertax so the pain factor is just kinda annoying ahah

also as far as axels go, i've used sundias all my life so i dont really know how any other daibolo feels
heres a crappy panorama of all the sundia models i've owned:

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 12:22:07 am »
lol i yoyo too, though i prefer really angular all metal designs. my main throw is yoyorecreation messiah. not a big fan of yoyojam :P

i'm not sure about you, but my arms are covered in scars from my diabolo and string burns. my lip is still scarred from when i cut it open practicing vertax so the pain factor is just kinda annoying ahah

also as far as axels go, i've used sundias all my life so i dont really know how any other daibolo feels
heres a crappy panorama of all the sundia models i've owned:

Which is the one, just before the Evo?

And I don't have a main throw. I have about 70 in my cases, and I rotate them all to be quite honest hahaha.

Can you name all the Sundias for me? I don't recognize some of em!
This will be a new learning experience. I didn't realize how many models they had!

And my arms are SO screwed up from vertex. I practice some pretty crazy stuff, and my Flys are so gashed from Concrete.
Then My arms are always a bloody mess after My sessions. I've grown to kinda like the way it feels to be honest. It's a problem xD
But I like the way scars look, so It doesn't bother me much at all.

kyoflow16

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 01:21:53 am »
Which is the one, just before the Evo?

And I don't have a main throw. I have about 70 in my cases, and I rotate them all to be quite honest hahaha.

Can you name all the Sundias for me? I don't recognize some of em!
This will be a new learning experience. I didn't realize how many models they had!

And my arms are SO screwed up from vertex. I practice some pretty crazy stuff, and my Flys are so gashed from Concrete.
Then My arms are always a bloody mess after My sessions. I've grown to kinda like the way it feels to be honest. It's a problem xD
But I like the way scars look, so It doesn't bother me much at all.

sundia fly with teflon bearing, marbled fly with teflon triple bearing, light sun with metal washers (255g), heavy sun with plastic washers (275g), shining with single aluminum bearing and black carbon fiber washers, heavy sun with metal washers (290g), shining with aluminum triple bearing and carbon fiber washers, heavy sun with pro teflon and aluminum axel with plastic washers (275g), sundia evo :D

i also own 3 sundia micro with teflon single bearing and a humming sundia teflon triple bearing monobolo

i do not own any of their ice or nimble models, though i have tried them in their store. both too light imo. i 3 sets of light kits, as well as their light sticks, and at least one stick from each of their main runs. i have two sundia diabolo bags, and a sundia stick bag. i also use both their thick, thin, pro, and water string. i also have 5 sundia european clubs, 3 sundia cigar boxes, and 2 sundia acrylic balls.

lol this tends to happen when i lived really close to their headquarters for a number of years

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 01:59:24 am »
I'm guessing Sundia is quite your thing eh? bahaha!

I honestly light heavy sticks, light diabolo, grippy string.
People say Epics play super light, and That peaked my interest.
Originally, I wanted the ICY and the Nimbles, funny how that works!
I may get the Icy with the Triple Competition bearing. Those new Competition bearings look super nice, with the smaller diameter bearing.

How are the Vertex Stick grinds with the ICY material?
And what Models have this washer? I love the way they look, MUCH more than the Carbon then the nut. Do you know what they're called?
They Do vertex grinds MUCH more nicely!