Author Topic: Glossary Request  (Read 4501 times)

Teem

Glossary Request
« on: November 18, 2005, 01:59:54 am »
So i'm new to these forums and i see heaps of terms which i just don't understand. I've slowly picked up most of them, but a stickied Glossary of terms would've made it just that bit easier to understand what you're all talking about.

For example..
1d, 2d, 3d  etc.  (Felt so proud when i figured this one out  :roll: )
2 high, 3 low etc. (only understood these after seeing videos..)

Commonly refered to tricks and techniques like fans, genocide, sprinkler (of course a list of every possible trick could be asking a bit much)

i'd take on the task myself, but i'm not enough In The Know..  :)

Just an idea.. would be handy.
Maybe something of the sort already exists on a diabolo site somewhere, but i haven't come across it.

Punkerpanda

Glossary Request
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 03:58:37 am »
this is a good idea. it will really help make this forum a long-lasting source since one can look up the current lingo.
i think we should describe the most basic trick names, like suicides, fans, etc.
also alot of the abbreviations should be defined, such as TMFP, many newcomers might not know what this means(the mad french posse, btw)

i would get started, but i feel my english skills are insufficent to complete such a task, since the wording of the definitions is quite difficult on some of these terms to make them understandable.
i think i read something about a request of a glossary in a post somewhere

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
Glossary Request
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 04:10:01 am »
I will list some of the tricks.

Suicide- one stick is released while the diabolo is on the string and the other stick is in your hand.

Duicide- both sticks are released and the diabolo is in midair

Orbits- the diabolo orbits around something such as an arm, leg, body, or just orbits in a circular pattern

Wraps- the string is wrapped around the axle of the diabolo, resulting in more friction to speed or slow the diabolo.

Genocide- one stick is released and goes in a circle, and the diabolo is not on the string, but soon gets caught by the stick/string that is going around in a circle

Minigenocide- same thing as a genocide, except you are holding on to the string to make the genocide "mini"

Darkside- the diabolo is caught on the bottom of the string

Grind- the diabolo is spinning on a stick instead of the string

Magicknot - the string is tied around the diabolo and handsticks in a way which looks like it will get tangled, but can be thrown in the air without any tangles

Whip- the diabolo is tossed into the air, and it is whipped out of the air with the string

Excalibur- the diabolo is spinning vertically instead of horizontally

Those are just some of the terms of diabolo. There are much more, and anyone is welcome to correct those ones I said if they are hard to explain, or incorrect.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
Glossary Request
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 04:20:27 am »
Here are some two diabolo terms

Hyperloop- both diabolos are in a single wrap, making them to orbit around eachother faster.

Shuffle- basic diabolo pattern in which both of them keep orbiting eachother on the string.

Antisuicide- one of the diabolos is wrapped and grinded with your dominant hand, then thrown over the top of the other one( goes opposite way of the shuffle.)

Minicolomns- both the diabolos bounce up and down on the strings to make two colomns

Fan- both diabolos are wrapped and unrwapped in a way to make both of them and the string look like the blades of a fan

Sfan- same thing as the fan, except one diabolo is on the darkside of the string, and if done correctly can theoretically go on forever.

1D- 1 diabolo
2D- 2 diabolos
3D- 3 diabolos

Rocket start - both diabolos are not spinning and are on the floor, wrapped up a certain way on the string, and when pulled, one is launched up into the air while the other is still spinning on the string.
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Jester

Glossary Request
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 07:29:00 am »
I was really amzed by the trick index at http://www.contactjuggling.org/

they divide sections into 1,2,3,4... ball tricks and then in each section
they have a list of tricks and then a little vidio in some weird small reapeating format

I'm sure that it probably involves a preposterous amount of work but its such an amazing resource especaially when ur just starting out or even as a reference tool later on

we already have the premier diabolo site on the web y not make it even more elite
do it, do it ,do it, DO IT!

Eduardo

Glossary Request
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 02:50:34 pm »
Quote from: Jester
I was really amzed by the trick index at http://www.contactjuggling.org/

they divide sections into 1,2,3,4... ball tricks and then in each section
they have a list of tricks and then a little vidio in some weird small reapeating format

I'm sure that it probably involves a preposterous amount of work but its such an amazing resource especaially when ur just starting out or even as a reference tool later on

we already have the premier diabolo site on the web y not make it even more elite

Ever tried www.diabolotricks.com ?
It is divided in 1 and 2 diabolos, in sections (like suicides, magic knots, orbits and so on) and has gifs and flash animations of each trick, enough for you to get started both on the terms and on the tricks.
Its a bit outdated but people are working on it to remake the website.

Eduardo

Martijn

Glossary Request
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 03:48:29 pm »
Why don't you try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabolo

There is a lot of information there, and in the Wikipedia topic as well.

Good luck.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Andy S

Glossary Request
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 11:08:08 pm »
I'm probably not the most qualified, but I've picked up a lot over the past few months and would be willing to make a fairly exhaustive list if it's wanted (as no one else appeared to be volunteering).  It might several weeks, and I would need advice on how much detail to go into defining complex tricks.  I do think it would be valuable to have something organized alphabetically as a general reference for everyone.  If some people second this, I'll go ahead and start working on it soon.

Thanks,
Andy

Pete

• VotW Contributor
Glossary Request
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 05:12:02 pm »
Some of dracos terms could be made smpler for instance, a genocide is just a suicide where the diabolo leaves the string and is then recaptured.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Spooned

Glossary Request
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 11:18:56 am »
ome tricks are really hard to explain with words, fan and genocide being two examples. If people are really serious about setting up a glossary style page on wikipedia i think that there should be a video section for some of the more difficult tricks. Diabology, however, is the best place to start.
Diabolo or Diablo