Author Topic: Laptop for HD video editing  (Read 2471 times)

Wis

Laptop for HD video editing
« on: March 08, 2014, 10:30:57 am »
I guess many of you now edit diabolo videos in HD format. My old laptop can play some tricks and handle it somehow, but I am thinking about getting myself a new one. The question I have in mind is that system requirements for HD editing are quite high (+2cores,+16RAM,SSD disk rockets the price,full HD screen resolution), but I think possibly there are many effects/filters that are not required for this kind of videos, it could save me some 400$. So any thoughts about system requirements? You bought something and regretted it because of a concrete limitation? Wanna share it? Recommendations on SSD/HDD space?
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

SebiHausi

Re: Laptop for HD video editing
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:44:01 am »
well in my opinion an SSD is the most important feature of any modern laptop. i still get frustrated sometimes that i didn't buy a laptop with an SSD about 3 years ago, it just makes everything so much faster... you won't require 16GB of RAM and an i7- quadcore processor (totally over powered), 8GB of RAM and a weaker i5 processor should totally do the job. of course getting a full hd screen for watching full hd videos is not a bad idea ^^ (unless you have got a spare full hd montior you use in addition). i guess you should be able to find laptops with these features below 1000€ ;). oh and some kind of additional (not on board graphic's card) (e.g. NVIDIA geforce might also be a good idea :D)

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 02:29:02 pm »
Here's one thing you can do, I have a PC which I built myself and I have an ssd for the OS and a hdd for the videos, this is the ideal combo. I know most laptops do not have 2 separate slots which is why WD released this drive:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190

This means that if you buy a laptop with a HDD, you can store the drive or throw it away later, maybe even put it in an external enclosure and plug it in with usb only when you need to, and instead replace it with this and have the best of both world, a 120gb SSD and a 1TB HDD

Also, I do not know how into editing you are but a separate gpu might help, Nvidia and AMD make (among other things) notebook processors, Nvidia uses Cuda in their GeForce and Quadro  line of GPUs and AMD cards use OpenCL which can be used with some video editing programs.

Wis

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:00:06 pm »
Thanks a lot for the answers.
@ Ronnie: yes, that is certainly a possibility but there are laptops with that or a similar solution (two drives one HDD and one SSD) built in. And buying it separately may be too costly. But it is worth considering it and I was not doing it.
I am more or less aware of the story with the GPUs and the CUDA/OPEN CL thing.
@ Sebi: I think all you said make a lot of sense. I think I may dig deeper in the every day tasks advantages of having an SSD. Cool to have your opinion because I have a lot of examples of what you have edited. And yes, I had in mind having a GPU.
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

SebiHausi

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 07:27:49 am »
well i am not really much of a professionell editor, thus i don't require any special features for video rendering, the basics are enough for me :D. rendering full hd videos is no problem although i don't have an ssd (but a f**ing i7...). i can't really tell how my laptop's performance would be using stuff like cinema4d or some more advanced after effect features ;).