Author Topic: Learning Methods  (Read 2232 times)

JT

Learning Methods
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:12:18 am »
Hi all,

I was wondering what methods you use when progressing with diabolo?
For example:
Choosing 1 trick and sticking with it until you have it down.
Have a few tricks you work on, and when you get one you start working on another.
Just do whatever you want to hope something just works. etc.

I have recently managed a solid 3D so am particularly interested in the above regarding 3D tricks.

Also, for those working/doing 4. When do you think is a good time to start?
I assume the better I am at 3, the easier 4 will be. but also, if I work on 4, 3 will also feel easier (or am I wrong entirely).

I would love to hear what other people do/think.

Jordan

Graham Milligan

Re: Learning Methods
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 06:48:22 pm »
I dunno, i just grab my diabolo and go for it. if the trick felt nice then i keep doing it, if it didnt feel nice then i dont try it again. i try to keep copying peoples tricks at a minimum but love using their tricks for inspiration and tweak them from time to time.

i dont really think there is a right or wrong method for learning, you just gotta keep dropping till you catch it.
Some Craic!

kyoflow16

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 07:40:32 pm »
lol i actually take practicing pretty seriously. i'll practice casually pretty much any free time i have, but i'll spend the whole day practicing a few times a week and this is my practice schedule:

1. warm ups with some basic 1d tricks
2. go over all the 1d tricks i can do
3. practice 1d transitions and work on as many new ones as i can think of
4. practice 1d tricks that havent been mastered
5. practice 1d tricks i cant do at all
6. get creative and try to come up with new 1d tricks
7. warm up on 2d
8. repeat 2-6 with 2d
9. do a ton of 3d endurance runs (take a break after this lol)
10. work on and 3d trick since i dont have a single one mastered yet
11. work on vertax tricks
12. work on vertax tricks i cant do
13. do a ton of high throws or 2d/3d high stuff since i dont really do much high throws in my shows
14. run through my show routine a few times

Richard

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 11:12:46 am »
Hey Jordan,

This is a fascinating subject and an area I've been really interested in ever since I started to diabolo.

Here's what I've found after teaching and practicing for 15 years and starting at a late age (so tricks haven't come that naturally for me):

I used to be really structured with my practice, similar to what kyoflow16 said - even to the point where I had a task list of tricks to practice each day. I would do a trick over and over or a certain number of times a day. I learned this habit from regular team sports and exercise. It took me years to realize that this type of structure is really good to a point, however if you actually want to LEARN faster, I think it's really important to let your brain go and 'do what feels right' most of the time. 

I say most of the time because if you did what felt right always, you'd probably never achieve 4 low because it's not that much fun starting off with a new skill that's so difficult.

I've coached beginner and intermediate diaboloists for about 12 years and the thing I found from teaching children is that they had NO structure at all with the way they wanted to learn. They would be half-way through something and drop the sticks and pick up juggling balls or something else.  I think it's good to have a little bit of structure however I think it's important to let yourself go with the flow as much as possible. I think this is because the brain can get tired and lose focus a lot of the time - if you have focus and you're interested/excited in what you're doing, you're more likely to be paying attention and doing it better.

Doing a trick over and over and over and over is REALLY bad because you can start repeating bad habits which is not what you want to do. I don't repeat a trick more than 4 times now - usually I'll do it a few times then as soon as it 'feels' like I'm getting bored with the trick or it's not working, I'll go to something else. However I'll usually come back to that trick soon after when I feel like it (when it's fun).

The last thing I'd recommend is mental rehearsal. Try this exercise for just 1 minute a day for a week: picture your hardest 3d trick (or 4d once you start practicing) and when you're not doing diabolo, visualize yourself doing the trick flawlessly over and over in your head.  When you go back to your practice, try to remember how it 'felt' when you were visualizing the trick. 

This technique is used a lot in modern sports and it's been proven to work in clinical trials so there's science behind it :) When you visualize yourself doing a trick, you're creating new or hardening existing neuron paths (which is exactly the same as when you practice - this is why we naturally get better at things with practice). The benefit of mental rehearsal however is that you can visualize yourself doing the trick correct every time.

And lastly I reckon you should start on the 4d asap. Why wait?  However make sure that when you're learning it, you're always getting feedback from this forum or people that know how to do it well, so that you're heading in the right direction.

Hope this helps! :)

Not Skilled Yet

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 03:18:21 pm »

10. work on and 3d trick since i dont have a single one mastered yet

try learning under the leg, it's easiest imo
Sorry for my awful posts years ago. I was even more anal and un-self-aware than i am now.

5p3ak

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 12:40:26 pm »
Record yourself doing the trick if possible.

This is important IMO, helps you to see your own mistakes and amend them.
Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/MaFiaZai

SebiHausi

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 07:39:26 pm »
i don't really have any schedule during practise, i usually just go for the stuff i am in the mood for :D.