Author Topic: Bearings?  (Read 1887 times)

Arcana3

Bearings?
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:27:14 am »
What exactly do they do? I feel like you guys know what they do, and when I look up what a "one way bearing diabolo does" it doesn't really give me a lot. And i'm just trying to understand what the bearings do?!!? >.< I'm sorry guys i'm so new :( But i wanna learn if that makes it any better XD Thanks for dealing with me >.<

MBg4

Re: Bearings?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 01:19:18 pm »
  What diabolo do you use currently?

So,there's one way single and triple bearings, usually triple spin longer. Basically with a bearing, the axle doesn't spin and the bearing(s) just keep the cups going. This way, the diabolo can spin much longer, cuz the string isn't affecting the axle, as where with a fixed axle, the axle spins with the cups and the string is constantly rubbing against the axle which slows it down.

Does this make any sense? (Watch this video for further explanation )

Now with a bearing diabolo, you can finger grind, putting your fingers in a "peace" sign and squeezing the axle with your two fingers, cuz the middle won't spin. Also, you can wrap it without the diabolo coiling up, which is what a fixed axle might do, and makes an elevator, or string climbing tricks impossible. However, when it comes to starting two or more diabolos, bearings aren't the best choice because of the fact that the bearing won't spin. Whenever you catch the diabolo in the shuffle, it won't stay up, because it resists that fixed axle stickiness every time you pull up.

Once you've gotten used to a bearing diabolo though, its very hard to go back to fixed. Your technique might have gotten sloppy, and each time you try wrap it, it's just not the same as a bearing and might coil up. I would advise just to stick with fixed axles.

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 03:09:37 pm »

:) (watch in HD. It will make it much easier to understand!)

Arcana3

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 12:32:11 am »
Aha thank you! I have a Henry Circus diabolo, unmodified but im going to modifiy it so I can do finger grinds etc. But I'll keep your advice in mind when using 1 way diabolos. I'll keep on using them for tricks >.< Ty

AznnBoyaZ

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 12:39:40 am »
No problem!