Author Topic: Wrist Injuries  (Read 3376 times)

tyson_11

Wrist Injuries
« on: May 17, 2014, 02:05:43 am »
For the last few months my right wrist seems to be getting excessively sore from practice and has been remaining sore for days afterwards even without practice. I mainly practice 4 diabolos now so the added weight and constant jolts probably don't help. Has anyone else experienced this and found an effective way to combat it? Thanks.

maxx9r

Re: Wrist Injuries
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:19:04 pm »
my right wrist does funny noises while doing "circles" with it hahah
SICK WIT IT !!!

wgm

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 06:39:40 pm »
Do you do anything to warm up before practicing? Maybe try working your way up to four by doing some simple stuff 2 or 3 first just to make sure all your joints are awake. I know my shoulder/wrist have been killing me when I work on my 3/4 high and if I don't stretch and then do some little 1d tricks that use my full range of motion (only like 5/10 minutes total of warm up) then I feel terrible. If that doesn't work maybe take a week or two off or go see a physical therapist.

tyson_11

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 02:08:18 am »
Thanks i think ill get it checked. Once its back to normal (hopefully) i think warming up might be a good idea. So frustrating not being able to practice.

nickbonnes

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 05:30:39 pm »
I had exactly the same a long time ago, I dont know what I did, but my wrist did sounds like *KNACK!* and the pain was gone away :P
Perhaps can you do massage at your wrist ?

Ceri-Anne

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 07:37:27 pm »
Please be very careful with it and see a doctor and/or physiotherapist if you continue to experience soreness or pain. I have had wrist and hand problems for quite a long time now and I know these things can take a long time to heal.

Richard

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 10:17:55 am »
I would recommend a physiotherapist as it sounds like RSI.

If it ever hurts, don't be afraid to ice it straight after your practice to reduce the swelling.

I've done first aid and also played a lot of contact sports and this comes in handy for injuries: RICER - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, Referral.

tyson_11

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 12:38:00 pm »
Thanks guys I'm getting it checked tomorrow. I hope I'll be back to practice soon :/

SebiHausi

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 02:21:01 pm »
i had some wrist problems too some years ago. back then i was playing with circus and after i switched to taibolos (lighter) they went away. as for now my right wrist still hurts sometimes when i practise too much numbers on one day, but that always goes away after 1 - 2 days without practise.

Wis

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 08:39:57 am »
I feel sadly compelled to share my story, bro.
I think it will be useful only for people that has a bump, but probably it might apply to others. I had a bump forming on my wrist, at the end (after 2 years?) it was like 3 cm diameter on the base, 2 cm tall, so yeah, way too big, but it didn't hurt at all. I went to the doctor, he fixed it by exploding it with his own hands. Without notifying me earlier! So the guy was kind of feeling the bump with the fingertips, suddenly he pressed, the bump exploded under my skin, and I saw the bump dismissing. Very Matrix-ish like when he feels his mouth is getting 'zipped'. I was told by the doctor that it was a ganglion (http://dooktor.pl/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/V5cJv6PWVGviyn7v8qw9Ri1Km1rUf6.jpg I recommend not to see the surgical pics, puagh). Nevertheless I was happy, bump gone, sun shinning.
And then came the pain, it was like a year later, there was still a shadow of the bump but it was way smaller (!). At first, in Spain, they said it was a tendinitis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tendinitis). So I rested (1-2 weeks), came back, pain came back, rested longer (1-1.5 months), came back, pain came back,  rested longer (2-3 months), came back, etc... I went to 3 different, doctors, and physiotherapist, all they said it was tendinitis. I went to the doctor again in Poland and surprisingly enough from the very beginning they thought it was a ganglion, they got me tested, and yes, it was a m********** ganglion. I got a surgery date, but it was so long after, that the bump went away itself, and it was impossible to operate it. So I had two options, just rest when it is painful and take care of it, or get another appointment for the operation and train with diabolo a lot a week before the operation so I would have my ganglion fully bumped. I am embarrassed to confess that it was weighting the latter... but I decided for the wiser 'accept your wrist is partially f*c*ed, and train consequently or you will end up not being able to train at all'. As you see a ganglion gets filled with liquid from the articulation, if you rest, it lowers, it is not painful. But the bubble will probably come back.
So the most important message from this story is what Ceri-Anne said. There is a second message which is confusing: doctors can be wrong, asking more than once may be safer. There is a third message: I think doctors in Spain were conditioned because I told them 'I think it may be a ganglion because I had one' maybe this caused this terrible diagnosis by three different people.
I wanted to tell this story so people with 'bumps' can get afraid enough to at least ask a doctor. And finally this is my excuse for not being better at 3 low. I got an almost solid pattern in 2009, still can't do tricks solidly... when you rest and need to come back obviously you start with 1D. So if anybody like any of my 1d tricks, he/she can thank my ganglion, maybe it helped me to focus there :P
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

tyson_11

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 09:17:30 am »
Thanks for sharing your story. I love how it summed up to excuse your 3d skills  :P
I feel the same with 4d, i could do 53, 53* and 552* 2 months ago and now can't even run 4d because of the break. The doctor seemed to think i needed to strengthen my forearms but of course i can't do any exercises due to my wrist pain so i guess I'll just keep resting it for the time being. He also mentioned training till in lots of pain and then spending $300 on an MRI but that seems a little drastic considering it may not help at all. I don't believe doctors really take you seriously once you mention something like diabolo.

SebiHausi

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 05:47:43 pm »
@tyson
that is what i would do. take a break and find some other distraction until you can practise again :D. (i always make sure to be at least 2-3 days pain free before going back to practise just to be sure.) you should also try to split the time you have to practise over the week and not do all practise on 1 or 2 days, i know this is really hard sometimes but that helps the most! over the years i have learne that practising 5 hours on one day is generally never a good idea ;).

Nico

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 11:02:46 pm »
Been having wrist and shoulder tendinitis too. Really annoying as it keeps coming back.
I just saw a doctor who suggested me to try acupuncture, I might give that a try.
Warm up always yes, if possible before and after long sessions!

tyson_11

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 09:15:08 am »
Thanks guys. Its comforting to know its not just me. I think it was probably a bad idea to jump straight back into hardcore practice after 6 weeks off. Once im painfree ill just gradually intensify my practices again to allow my muscles etc to get used to it again. Nico let us know how the acupuncture goes.