Author Topic: Henrys string colour: Is there a difference?  (Read 20652 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Henrys string colour: Is there a difference?
« on: November 08, 2004, 07:09:32 pm »
So, I've met plenty of people who swear by the Henrys yellow string. They claim it is the most durable of all the colours. But, I know Priam used to use the orange string, and Dave was saying he likes orange best. I've used yellow extensively but never tried the other colours.

If you ask the people at Henrys, they tell you it's all the same stuff (I asked when I was in Karlsruhe, Germany by the factory... which, evidently, is where that charming picture under my name on the left is from). Is there really a difference? If so, what's the difference? Or is it all just a matter of matching your string colour to your diabolo colour?  8)

Sean

Arjan

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 11:07:31 pm »
Well:

http://www.henrys-online.de/Webshop/enter.html?lang=en-us&target=d45.html
Look over to strings down below...read it al:

Diabolo string (Ø 1,35mm) on 10m-roll.

Available colors: red, yellow, green, white and bright yellow

The bright yellow string is a little bit thinner and more strechy. Should be used for Viper Micro Diabolo.

Maybe this is what I`m using. Strangly mine`s is on a roll wich has 25 meters on it.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 11:20:44 pm »
I've had that same conversation with Henry's.  They seemed keen to point out that the yellow, orange, green, and even the white sutff with blue bits were all the same.  I'm not sure the white stuff is even waxed!

I find that they have differing slipperiness.  Yellow is most slippy, then orange, then green.  The green seems to break in a lot quicker, which can be useful at times, but it's almost no use to me in an humid environment.  I can't quite explain why I prefer the orange, but I'm sure it's more than jsut the colour.   I can only assume the colouring process has a subtle effect on the string?  I'm sure I'm not making it up!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 11:55:08 pm »
Quote from: Arjan
Available colors: red, yellow, green, white and bright yellow
The bright yellow string is a little bit thinner and more strechy. Should be used for Viper Micro Diabolo.

Actually, the bright yellow is a different type of string meant for the vipers. As it states, it's thinner and elastic. I believe it is the normal yellow that we use.

Thanks, Dave, for the analysis of the slipperiness. The white string with blue spots is definitely a different string. It is thicker, much less slippery, and wears much faster. If it's humid that stuff can become impossible to use. I like the white string when it's brand new. Unfortunately after a couple days it become too sticky for many wrapped tricks. So... I settle for the yellow string which takes a couple days before it is usable (but at that point it becomes just perfect 8) ).

You can try rubbing the string in some dirt with your feet or sanding it gently - but no matter what that, yellow stuff sure starts off slippery!

Matt Pang

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 11:03:08 pm »
I've used Green, Orange and Yellow, i use Yellow all the time just because i prefer the colour and its more visible, but other than that i've never noticed any difference. Not a great fan of Green though, doesn't make diaboloing over grass very easy...

Matt Pang

MattF

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 10:02:39 am »
i agree with barnesy, i have found the green henry's string breaks easier than the yellow.

I also found that the green string can sometimes get permenant small kinks in it which can be fairly annoying.

Matt

jellybean

Re: Henrys string colour: Is there really a difference?
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 06:44:00 pm »
yellow definately seems to be the smoothest,but for workshop use the  orange lasts the longest. i always use yellow as its more visible.
lifes a beach.full of munters and stripey chairs.

Tom Derrick

Re: Henrys string colour: Is there really a difference?
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 10:26:47 pm »
Quote from: Sean
Is there really a difference? If so, what's the difference? Or is it all just a matter of matching your string colour to your diabolo colour?  8)

Sean

There's a difference between the colours, because the string isn't dyed. Each colour string is a slightly different material to the next, and it all depends on the chemicals that make up the nylon.

eggy900

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 10:26:44 am »
i use pink or yellow henrys string and i find that the yellow lasts a lot longer. dunno why, but it's a nicer colour anyway

Spooned

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 05:35:07 pm »
Ive used yellow and red (or orange but looks red :wink:), it all depends on what you want to do. Red is prefect for sprinklers, knots & wraps because it is really slippery, but the yellow is better for general use (1, 2 and 3D)
Diabolo or Diablo

Purplegirl

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 09:18:53 am »
I've tried a few different ones now and the one I get on best with is the Henry's Orange one :) oh... and I followed a tip on here about rubbing soap onto a new string and that seems to help it reach peak grip a little sooner :)

schlanger

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 06:03:40 pm »
i dont use henrys often however i had some pink before which was good and lasted quite a long time and i have just ordered a roll of yellow.
schlanger is upon us

blues-brothers2

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 08:17:33 pm »
So is it the regular yellow or bright yellow string you use ?

If the answer has allready been given, please excuse if I missed it.

Cheers,
Philipp
Doc Brown: If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anthing.

(Back to the future)

JC

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 07:25:29 am »
I've tried a few different ones now and the one I get on best with is the Henry's Orange one  oh... and I followed a tip on here about rubbing soap onto a new string and that seems to help it reach peak grip a little sooner

What is rubbing soap?
Soap is clear, but what makes soap rubbing?
www.diabolonet.de - email to: diabolo-kits@web.de
MONOBOLOS, Henrys Circus, Vision and MB Finesse with round shaped axles

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 12:16:06 pm »
Quote from: JC
...I followed a tip on here about rubbing soap onto a new string and that seems to help it reach peak grip a little sooner

What is rubbing soap?
Soap is clear, but what makes soap rubbing?

Rubbing soap as in the act of taking any bar of soap and 'rubbing' it on the string. ;)

blues-brothers2: it's the regular yellow string. There's a bit more discussion about that above.

blues-brothers2

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 07:31:38 pm »
Thanks,

is the yellow string on the 10 m spool the same as on the 25 m spool ?

And those aluminum sticks they've got, are those the ones most of you use ? I mean is 32,5 cm the small size ?

Thanks again,
Philipp
Doc Brown: If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anthing.

(Back to the future)

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 07:44:20 pm »
I believe it is the same type of string, just less of it.  And yep a large proportion of people at this forum use the Henry's aluminium.  325mm will seem short to you the first time you use them compared with all the much longer sticks, but you definitely get used to them.

I don't use them though, mix of homemades and MB performers (Arrr...)

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Bazz

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 09:46:46 pm »
Rite on :D

I use the Henry's Yellow string, and out of about 6 different types;
including Henry's White, Orange; Firetoys Yellow High Speed and some other white stuff, I have  found the Henry's Yellow to be my favourite, though it is a little slippy to start, this has not bothered me when using 1 Diabolo.
until now! I have been using a wrap start on 2 Diabolo's, yesterday I changed my string, whan I tried to use the wrap start, to my horror the wraped Diabolo just slid down the string no matter how hard or fast I worked it :x I had to start using the hand thrown fast start.
To cut a long and boring story short, I read this post today and noticed the bit about rubbing soap on the string, I have just tried this and it's like having an already broke in string right from the start :P

Thanks to whom ever thought that one up, it works a treat :wink:

As an after thought I wonder if using a block of bees wax would have the same effect :?:

Bazz :twisted:

Will^

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2005, 01:36:48 am »
I had exactly the same trouble with my wrap starts, but now I can do them on even brand new string, just takes a little getting used to.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2005, 11:23:51 pm »
Quote from: Bazz
the wrapped Diabolo just slid down the string no matter how hard or fast I worked it :x I had to start using the hand thrown fast start.
To cut a long and boring story short, I read this post today and noticed the bit about rubbing soap on the string, I have just tried this and it's like having an already broke in string right from the start :P
Thanks to whom ever thought that one up, it works a treat :wink:
It was Norbi Whitney who posted the tip about soap rubbing I believe, interesting tip it is indeed.  I too had the trouble of slipping diabolos when I got my new G2s, I blamed it on them since the string was used and worked fine with my Beaches.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills