Author Topic: Yabe discovers the perfect string length  (Read 8962 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Yabe discovers the perfect string length
« on: November 25, 2005, 07:59:49 pm »

Photo credit: http://www.geocities.jp/spinabolo/image/DSC01671.JPG

NEWS UPDATE, JAPAN -- World renowned diaboloist extraordinaire, Ryo Yabe, divulges his new found secret - his diabolo skills improve twice as fast if he doubles the length of his string. Yabe admits that the extra length can be hard on his arms at times but the pain only makes him stronger. Time will tell whether other diabolists will follow suit. Asked to comment, Matt Hall (U.S.) responded "Haha - that dude's crazy. So THAT's why Yabe has gotten so damn good recently."

-----

I'm not exactly sure whose blog this is, as my knowledge of the Japanese language is sadly non-existent, but part way down the page I came across the above picture [full size].

Any Japanese folk or Japanese speaking folk out there care to enlighten me?

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 08:47:14 pm »
:shock: That is a long string. I dont think it is perfect in some cases. How can you do excalibur, infinite suicide, genocides, and stuff like that. Then again, if it is the perfect 3D string length, then I guess so. :X Hmm, then again you can always be like link in zelda and use it as a grappling hook.  :D
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Mithew

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 09:22:29 pm »
by the perfect string length, do you mean thats the optimal string length for learning 3d, or just diabolo in general???  i seems like it would be hard to do 1d with a doubled string length
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 10:07:49 pm »
Heh.  It saddens me to say this, but I think you may have underdone the smilies on that one, Sean!

CM

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 11:38:59 pm »
That reminds me of the renegade show at IJA, Ryo did 3 diabolos with a string a little longer than that and stood on a chair.
YO!

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 12:08:44 am »
I may be wrong, but it seems people are taking this joke a little too seriously. I sincerely doubt Ryo has changed his string to that length.

Either way, very funny photo, thanks for sharing.

Matt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 02:18:47 am »
Hey everyone,

The photo is taken from the Makky's old diary.  I went through it a bit and basically it's a recap of his diaoblo journeys, comps, get-togethers and such.  The Japanese diabolo scene is still red hot, it seems....

On a completely unrelated note, I pulled off Antonin's free-hand release suicide-catch-reverse infinite suicide thing.  It is SWEET.  

Matt
Many Thanks to Sean for all his work and inspiration.  Respect to the MFP!

un con

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 10:28:51 am »
Oh is string is very long maybe it 's to learn the 4 diabolos low  :D o maybe no.

sorry for my english  :oops:
Sorry if my english is bad

fredo

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 02:29:04 pm »
On a completely unrelated note, I pulled off Antonin's free-hand release suicide-catch-reverse infinite suicide thing. It is SWEET.

What kind of trick is that? Ican't imagine what he means :shock:

Maybe someone has a video?

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 09:35:44 am »
Quote from: norbi
I may be wrong, but it seems people are taking this joke a little too seriously. I sincerely doubt Ryo has changed his string to that length.

Either way, very funny photo, thanks for sharing.
Does seem that way doesn't it.  Magic though, that must be a huge shuffle.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

frank0072

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 09:51:10 am »
hmm, and I just found out a shorter string works better for me...
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 04:09:08 pm »
That really is very long. I've messed around with long strings about half that size and found things damn near impossible. Backwrap is really hard work. i prefer trying things on a very short string just for the fun. It wastes less too.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 01:03:01 am »
so, I tried this for three, wicked wierd, and for the mean time it just made going back to normal length string really strange. it is kinda fun though, like fans are huge and slow with 2 and stuff.
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Ben

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 07:53:01 am »

i saw he had some sticks with a string that long at the Portland festival but he only used it in the renegade show hes probably just messing around with it for practice or something..

speaking of the Portland festival i have video of Ryo and Matt Hall for there... some pretty crazy stuff in the gym at night (unfortunately i didn’t get my camera going until after they stopped doing excalibur passing and all that fun stuff  :( ) but it still has Ryo doing 3 and for a while 4 as well as some of Matt's stuff.
Also from that fest i have Ryo's "master diabolo workshop" with Ryo talking about and demonstrating everything from excalibur to 3D stuff to equipment. Matt was translating as well as adding tips... yeah unfortunately my camera ran out of tape -__- but i got almost all of it and pretty much all he did after it ran out was demo 4D again ::yawn:: =p

yeah long description..

but my point is that if people want the video i can rip it to my computer and upload it if someone has a fast enough site to host it.. i think its about 80 mins?

So yeah if you can host send me a private message i guess and ill send it to you and u can edit it down if you want as well because m no good at that =/

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 03:35:39 pm »
I can't host but i would really like to see that.
Back on topic i think.
Now i think about it, doing 3 with a string that long could be really useful.
If you have a heavily right handed synch shuffle you would get more accerleration because the diabolos spend more time on the string. It would be absolutely exhausting though.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

ming

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 06:39:48 pm »
Quote from: Ben

i saw he had some sticks with a string that long at the Portland festival but he only used it in the renegade show hes probably just messing around with it for practice or something..

speaking of the Portland festival i have video of Ryo and Matt Hall for there... some pretty crazy stuff in the gym at night (unfortunately i didn’t get my camera going until after they stopped doing excalibur passing and all that fun stuff  :( ) but it still has Ryo doing 3 and for a while 4 as well as some of Matt's stuff.
Also from that fest i have Ryo's "master diabolo workshop" with Ryo talking about and demonstrating everything from excalibur to 3D stuff to equipment. Matt was translating as well as adding tips... yeah unfortunately my camera ran out of tape -__- but i got almost all of it and pretty much all he did after it ran out was demo 4D again ::yawn:: =p

yeah long description..

but my point is that if people want the video i can rip it to my computer and upload it if someone has a fast enough site to host it.. i think its about 80 mins?

So yeah if you can host send me a private message i guess and ill send it to you and u can edit it down if you want as well because m no good at that =/

Maybe you could create a torrent for it?

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 07:08:42 pm »
I agree with ming torrent it-if we get enough seeders. People can max out their connection :D
Behind your back is your front.

Punkerpanda

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 11:00:46 pm »
yeah, torrent would be sweet. i would have love to hear a the workshop, sounds amazing.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 12:14:28 am »
i could torrent it, and i know a few  people who would help seed too...

busk

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 10:11:01 am »
2 metres of string each time is too expensive for me! >_<

EDIT: I am ryo yabeeee!!  :lol:  (right click and save as..)