Author Topic: Diabolo Battle at the EJC 2014 (Milstreet)  (Read 9888 times)

Wis

Diabolo Battle at the EJC 2014 (Milstreet)
« on: June 30, 2014, 10:18:11 am »
I really hope to see as much of you as possible here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203124942638137&set=a.2321852099448.121828.1643964399&type=1&theater

This will help to imagine how it should look like.
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

Funty

• Donator
Re: Diabolo Battle at the EJC 2014 (Milstreet)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:32:39 pm »
See you there! :)

Graham Milligan

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:40:18 pm »
Gonna be top notch craic!
Some Craic!

Wis

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 02:56:47 pm »
Let's bump this up as a reminder. We have been assigned a tent that is called "Massacre tent", this is sounding better and better.
http://ejc2014.org/schedule/icalrepeat.detail/2014/07/24/174/-/diabolo-battle

See you in 9, 8, 7, 6, .....

The Void

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:23:14 pm »
I had a good time watching this. And competing too. Of course this old guy got his ass kicked by a teenager, but well done to him. I was just pleased to hit my new slack tricks and longer combo.
Thanks Wis for organising it, and to PlanetDiabolo and JuggleDream for sponsoring.
I'll post my photos in a couple of weeks, when I'm not on the road.

I hope this event happens again!
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 01:49:45 am »
i couldn t go to ejc, so i m waiting for the video of the diabolo battle.

Funty

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 11:16:58 am »
It was a pleasure to watch! Well done!

Wis

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 06:12:07 am »
I'm glad you guys enjoyed! For the people that couldn't be there, the video is on the way, meanwhile I will prepare a classification overall picture so you can see how many people participated and how it went. Please, Martin, Flo, and any other people in the audience that recorded something, could you send your footage somehow to me? you can use the diabolobattle14@gmail.com address, but better send a copy to my personal email.
I have learned a lot and gathered many ideas and I think we can push it forward next year and make it even better.
I may have organized it, but there are so many people that helped me... Priam (Judging and general setup help), Donald the Trekky (Recording, music and time management, we were very tight on schedule due, mostly, to rain), Alexis (Judging, Music for the battle, distribution of prizes), Donald Grant (Judging and general advice), Void (pictures and general advice), Nico (advice and search for judges), Funty (general help during the setup), guy taking care of starting stopping the songs (sorry cannot remember your name), Adrien (getting the piece of paper for the classification), our lovely sponsors Diabolo Planet and Juggle Dream who provided 30 (!!) Typhoons for the competition, all the organization people, light and sound technicians and last and most importantly, the organization people of the EJC who had to deal with this (see picture) amount of rain at the outside of the tent... without them channeling the water out of the tent and allowing the electricity to come back this would have never happened. The competition was inside the tent, at the moment when the picture was taken. And of course thanks to all the participants, I hope you had fun, you did all very well, and I am proud of the skills of the people I managed to gather :)

Ceri-Anne

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 09:26:33 pm »
The enormous thunder storm prevented me from seeing most of it unfortunately. I was fixing my tent instead! Really sorry to have missed most of it, I thought the last couple of battles were great. Come to think of it I wish I had jammed with some more diaboloists at EJC but somehow I could never really find a 'hangout spot' for diabolo. Did a .ca meeting take place? I only arrived on Monday afternoon so may have missed it. (Sorry to go slightly off topic)

Flo

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 12:23:44 am »
Such a great event, thanks for setting it up! Too bad I missed the last bits because I was already setting up the camera at the open stage.

The only thing I'd add next time would be a very first round where everyone shows one or two tricks to determine who actually gets to compete in the 1on1 battles. That's how the devilstick people did it the day before. It worked pretty well as you get to see the more interesting people more than once instead of losing them in the first round.

That being said, hope it happens again next year! :)

@wis: I've just sent you the footage of the ~10 rounds I filmed
German Diabolo Forum: http://www.diabolotreff.de/

Wis

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 09:38:45 am »
Great idea Flo, and thanks for the suggestion! This is probably the best solution for the non-matching amount of participants we had... I just didn't have time, and hadn't think deep enough about it. Plus I was feeling kind of guilty/afraid and I didn't want to eliminate anybody before one-on-ones, like 'hey you are not good enough'... But yeah, next year we'll probably go for that.
And thanks for the videos! Believe it or not, I haven't watched the battle properly yet :D too busy thinking about how to organize the rounds during the battle.

Ceri-Anne, thanks that you came for the last couple of rounds. No d.ca meeting happened that I am aware, and the idea was too record some passing for the collaboration. But I am already recording passing in Poland for that, I encourage you guys to do the same. If I think about it this was my first EJC (except Victoria) without pull-the-string tricks, so in the next EJC: better battle, d.ca meeting, most people involved world-record-passing recording, and some pull the string jamming

Wis

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 07:00:39 pm »
Finally, the results of the diabolo battle we did in the EJC2014 at Milstreet. Sorry for the delay, and please let me know if there is any mistake in the list.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203596128777496&set=a.2321852099448.121828.1643964399&type=1&hc_location=ufi

The compilation video by Donald is on its way, but I don't know when it will be ready. So, enjoy the appetizers.
List of participants in order of appearance and some links to videos:
Topi:
Stefan Lohaus:
Adrien Levy: https://www.youtube.com/user/888adrien
Jonas Körner:
Filip Jašek:
The Void:
PiWi (Pierre Wiliquet):
P2i (Pierre Ledoux):
Valerian Kapeller:
Robin Spinelli:
Tomas Rezac:
Jack: video not found
Vojta (Vojtěch Jašek):
Dror: video not found
Graham Milligan:
Martin Rolletmeheust:
Scrat (Edwin Guggenbichler):
Nico Pires:
Dekel Azulay:
Kevin Knoche:
Inbar:
Kašpar Klepal: (2:05-2:32)

Family picture!

Wis

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 07:59:48 pm »
And for completion's sake I post it here again. The video by Donald. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!