Author Topic: Henrys fiberglass/carbon stick problems  (Read 27554 times)

Mattias

Henrys fiberglass/carbon stick problems
« on: November 30, 2004, 07:31:52 pm »
Today I've noticed that one of my Henry Glassfiber stick is making a strange clicking sound inside the rubberhandle when i do orbits and such to gain speed.
I have also tried twisting and turning the said stick and the same sound is made. Anyone experienced this?
Is the stick broken under the rubber, and over time will it get worse? If not how can I atleast get rid of the sound since it is a bit annoying.
Anyone knows what I am talking about and can help?

It would really suck if the stick is broken since I got it just a few days ago.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Paul

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 08:04:59 pm »
I dont think you need to worryabout it. ive had 2 sets of these sticks and they always sqeak and creek when theyare new. It just dissapeared from mine over time. It is rather annoying though!!!!
Peace

Mattias

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 08:23:46 pm »
Ah, glad to hear that, strange that it seem to have started now though. And that it is just one that sounds loud.

But you are probably right. Thanks.
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Xardok

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 09:25:02 pm »
I have no experience with the fiberglass sticks, but I had my carbon sticks broken once. It was a little bit like Malte was describing it. I believe they were cracked on the inside. I could bend them all over the place. So I went to the store and immediatelly got new ones. Great service! ;)

Martijn

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 09:31:09 pm »
If one stick is more flexible then the other... It's pretty sure it will break soon... That's what with my pair of carbon and fiberglass happened. :(
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Mattias

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 09:32:29 pm »
Hmm, my stick isnt bending more than usual, but maybe it is just a crack, Moe is going to stockholm in middle of december, so I will send them there with him so the shop can take a look at em.

Hopefully there is nothing wrong with em.

Thanks for answers, appreciated.
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 12:06:29 am »
Mine make a kind of clicking sound occaisionally, I assume its when I string it slightly differently and as the string slackens and then tightens rapidly it cracks against the inside? Comes and goes as I restring so

MattF

Stick problem
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 06:55:08 pm »
Hi all,

I have some short handled carbon fibre sticks which i have had for about 3 weeks now which i much prefer than the long handled ones.

Anyway, i was practicing in the garden over the weekend, and all of a sudden the string felt like it 'gave way' a bit.

For anyone who doesn't know how these sticks work, you thread the string through the shaft of the stick and tie it at the back.

What had happened was the knot had gotten smaller through time and has pulled through the stick (hence the 'give way' bit) and is now the knot in the string is lodged somewhere around the middle of the shaft. Unfortunately i cannot push the string back the way it went in because it is lodged.

The only thing i can think of is using a lot of force to pull the string out completely, but it is very difficult because its lodged so tight inside the stick.

Has anyone else had similar problems, and if so is there a remedy?

Paul

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 07:16:56 pm »
THe same thing happned to me with my carbon fibre sticks. It was hard work but I managed to pull the string through with a pair of pliers and a lot of swearing. Apart from that i dont think here is another way.
Peace

Sean

• Administrator
Re: Stick problem
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 07:18:02 pm »
Quote from: MattF
the knot had gotten smaller through time and has pulled through the stick (hence the 'give way' bit) and is now the knot in the string is lodged somewhere around the middle of the shaft.

Pull *really* hard. ;)

Usually the knot ends up stuck right at the tip of the stick. It takes a while to figure out precisely the right size of knot to stop this from happening and even then it happens sometimes. The easy solution is to make a huge knot, but then it sticks out the end. How unsightly... I know.

Sean

el_grimley

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2004, 12:29:47 pm »
I've got a long set of stick that have both snapped. They are quite weird to use, but they are quite nice for when you just messing arround doing some high throws - you can really get the power through the diabolo.

What had happened was the knot had gotten smaller through time and has pulled through the stick (hence the 'give way' bit) and is now the knot in the string is lodged somewhere around the middle of the shaft. Unfortunately i cannot push the string back the way it went in because it is lodged.

I can't really comment on this but to PREVENT this happending again use beads. A small overhand knot will actually take more weight than you can imagine when there is a bead in the way. It also means any tricks where you pull the string through the sticks are much easier. For example small jumps and catches pulling bother the strings.

Graham
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.

MattF

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2004, 07:45:51 pm »
i managed to get the string out last night by tieing one end round a door handle and holding the other stick, then gave the door a swift....kinda like pulling one of your teeth out.

Anyways it worked. Problem solved  :D

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 09:41:03 pm »
nice one. Y'kno, when reading the teeth pulling thing i actually shuddered, lol.

seán_

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 04:13:04 am »
I was talking to a diaboloist tonight at my juggling club who was using short  Henrys sticks. It looked like his knots were about to pull through the tailends.

I asked if he ever had to get a pulled through string out, he said it never happens to him and he thinks its because of the way he ties his knots. He ties a double square knot then he melts them with a lighter. The knots are quite small (actually compltely within the end of the handsticks) and were really solid.

I don't use this kind of sticks and Ian isn't the kind of diabolist who would tend to get snatches or be heavy handed (he has a smooth style) but I thought I'd mention this here in case it has some merits.

diabololi

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2004, 06:00:14 pm »
Ugh, I got a knot stuck in my carbon fibres because the string broke :( . Any Ideas?

Oli

Mattias

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 06:04:04 pm »
I got my string stuck in my glass fiber ones. I tied one stick to a doorknob and just pulled with the stick with the stuck knot. I got the idea from someone on this forum, cant remember who though :oops:

EDIT: I checked, it was MattF, thanks mate.
Although he slammed the door instead of pulling a stick, same thing different name though, important thing is. It works.
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Mattias

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2004, 06:47:52 pm »
Sorry for bumping this but i have a question about modding my glassfiber sticks:

I break string more and more often, probably because of an uneven surface in the ends of my sticks. But the biggest problem with that is that I loose ~40 cm of string each time, which forces me to change the string completely. So here's my question

Can you drill open the bottom of the sticks so the knot stay in the ends of the sticks instead of having the string go through the whole sticks and a knot in the bottom?
Or would the string come out the front since it is a bigger hole there than in the bottom. Or would the sticks break because of increased weight on the front?
Thanks
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

diabololi

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2004, 07:29:52 pm »
Would be a nice idea but the string broke near the stick so there is just a little knot with no string attatched to it  :(

Mattias

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2004, 07:37:22 pm »
Maybe a pair of pliers or something could help, but I guess you've tried that?
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

seán_

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2004, 08:09:44 pm »
Malte no need to be sorry for bumping this thread. better than putting your question in an unrelated thread.

I don't know the answer to what would happen if you tried that. Someone is going to have to bite the bullet and try it for the sake of diabolo.

I am making my own carbon sticks at the moment and am thinking of going this way with them. The only problems I can see so far is the end pulling out and getting a large enough knot down the stick (and back out again).