Author Topic: Quentin Bancel - 3 Diabolo Juggling  (Read 26038 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Quentin Bancel - 3 Diabolo Juggling
« on: December 01, 2004, 12:05:47 am »
Quentin Bancel posted a video of some 3 diabolo patterns here:
http://www.circusportal.net/e107_plugins/media/media.php?view.76

and annouced it on Jongle.net here:
http://www.jongle.net/forum/index.php?topic=9528

Because it's so hard to figure out how to download the video and avoid streaming it from their server the whole time... here's a direct link. Now make sure to "right click and save as":
http://www.circusportal.net/e107_files/downloads/videos/quentin.wmv

This, I think, is the most amazing 3 diabolo video I have every seen [edit, OK maybe except for that massive siteswap by JiBe ;)]. You can not miss this!! 3 diabolos high columns, cascade, medium height cascade, 3 diabolos low minicolumns for a beat and lots more out of this world stuff.  :shock:

I'm going to go watch that again!

Edit - after I picked my jaw up off the ground I converted an MPEG version as usual. I'll send out a copy to the usual suspects... personal message me if you would like a copy.

We would love to have you on this forum, Quentin! As I said on Jongle.net - congratulations on your incredible progress. Very inspiring stuff!

secondary mode edit, Chiok got a copy onto jugglethis.net clicky thanks Chiok

Sean

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 11:57:14 am »
Very VERY nice, perfect couple of mini columns, nice midi cascade, all beautiful.

Rusty

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 12:35:15 pm »
That's great he has so good control with 3 diabolos, both high and low. I wish I could be so good some day.

Do you know where he is from, I noticed that the music is Swedish.

Rusty, Norway

Arjan

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 05:27:46 pm »
I don`t know what to say...  :shock:

Very nice tricks!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 05:41:59 pm »
Quote from: Rusty
Do you know where he is from, I noticed that the music is Swedish.

Thanks Rusty - I figured that you, being Norwegian, could confirm that. I think the angry Swedish rap music really adds to the video. :)

I don't know where Quentin is originally from. On Jongle.net he says that he's now training at "Cirkuspiloterna" which is a Swedish circus school - the same one that Lena is training at.

He also speaks English and I've invited him over here. Quentin - if you're reading this, we'd love to have you join our forum and share your news, videos, and advice with us any time! If you ever want to brag about your latest crazy 3 diabolo creation - we'd love to hear about it! :D

Sean

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 06:05:51 pm »
:shock: That's truly amazing.

Anyone else feeling the need to practice more?

Martijn

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 06:39:18 pm »
First impression: "WOW!"  :D
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Quentin

Quentin Bancel
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 09:35:50 pm »
I'm french but I'm actually living in Sweden for one year. What can I add..
I'm 18 years old and I started the three diabolo exactly one year ago..
Thanks for your critics

Sean

• Administrator
Re: Quentin Bancel
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 04:38:41 am »
Hey Quentin - great to see you here! So if you started working on 3 diabolos 1 year ago, how long have you been able to do 3 low for? What was the first trick you learned with 3 low? How long did it take you to learn the pattern where the 3rd diabolo keeps popping high (522 - at 20 seconds into your video)? Any advice on learning that?

Your video makes me want to practice harder. Inspired by your video I finally got 3 around the leg a bit today! ;)

Sean

Quentin

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 08:22:08 am »
Quote from: Sean
how long have you been able to do 3 low for? What was the first trick you learned with 3 low? How long did it take you to learn the pattern where the 3rd diabolo keeps popping high (522 - at 20 seconds into your video)? Any advice on learning that?

I started to work on in september 2003 and I got it in  january 2004. The first trick I learned was the 552 low but right now I have the feeling that the 3 around the leg is may be the easiest trick (but I'm not really sur  because when I started to work on the 552 my 3 low wasn't perfect and sur at all)
I can't answer to your question about the time I spend on working the 552 without stop in between because I have not been practicing it regulary
An advice...to not give up
Your video makes me want to practice harder. Inspired by your video I finally got 3 around the leg a bit today! ;)

Happy to see that it is usefull...

Nice to "meet" you
Quentin

-Fred-

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 12:29:51 pm »
Hi!

Quote from: Quentin
The first trick I learned was the 552 low

This is a 4 diabolos siteswap :wink: . I think you talk about 42...

Very nice video  :D !!!

--- Fred ---

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 01:11:27 pm »
I was gunna make that point. 522 is what Sean first mention and Quentin must have read that wrong. But there is only 1 round of 2 low so its only 42.

Quentin

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 02:25:45 pm »
Quote from: norbi
I was gunna make that point. 522 is what Sean first mention and Quentin must have read that wrong. But there is only 1 round of 2 low so its only 42.

Hum That's right, I got confuse by sean because I wasn't sur my self about the name of the trick. But may be can I start to think about this 552 (maybe I should train the 4 diabolo before...)
Thanks to correct me.Bye

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 02:33:36 pm »
I'm sorry, this is all really my fault: I meant to say 42.  :oops: I'd never stopped to think much about 3 low siteswap numbers before... now I have.

Quentin - if you learn 552 with 4 diabolos low... you will be my hero!  :shock:

Have you ever tried the 3 diabolo sprinkler? Or 3 diabolo mills mess (high or low)?

Sean

JiBe

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 03:33:14 pm »
Or 3 diabolo mills mess (high or low)?

Interesting, how would that work ? (high of course, do not talk to me about low yet)

JiBe

Eduardo

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 04:04:15 pm »
Just like mills mess, throw normal, right over left, normal, left over right and repeat, easy to imagine it, impossible to do it heheh

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2004, 04:15:45 pm »
Quote from: JiBe
Interesting, how would that work?
I would think that it would be similar to changing the direction of the diabolo shower every 3 throws by starting on the outside of the previous pattern. Or you could do a mills mess pattern without the side to side motion and have one diabolo that goes up on one side and then the other while the middle two keep changing positions. Of course, there wouldn't be any arm crossing going on, but the diabolos could be thrown in the same pattern as in mills mess. Maybe it can't be considered a "true" mills mess just because there is no arm crossing.

(high of course, do not talk to me about low yet)
Haha... I noticed the word "yet" in there; you want that trick eventually don't you. ;)

Sean

seán_

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 04:44:55 pm »

Interesting, how would that work ? (high of course, do not talk to me about low yet)

JiBe

In my mind I envision this as having cross arm catches and throws with a seán_ siteswap* of 5xch,5x,4och,5xoch,5x,4ch

So forgetting the transition it would be catch crosshanded, throw this one back high, catch the second diabolo normally and throw it so it follows the first, catch third diabolo with cross hands (crossed the opposite way) throw it straight up, keep hands crossed this way catch first diabolo like that and throw it back from where it came, catch the second diabolo normally and throw it back again, catch the third diabolo crosshanded and throw it up straight.

basically like two balls following each other tennis style over a single net with crosshand(a), open, croshhand (b), crosshand (b), open, crosshand (a)

I don't claim this is possible and I definately don't claim I can do it, I havent worked it out using proper siteswap or beatmap, the throw heights aren't right, the timings are wrong and I dont think its possible but its what I envission when I think of a three diabolo mills mess

*my own version which makes sense to me but seems to upset all other jugglers ;)

Seán_

Edit/ I know crosshand throws wouldnt be very easy ;)

JiBe

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2004, 05:26:42 pm »
Ok, so 2 versions :

1) one with just the shape of the pattern (3 outside throws on the left, then 3 on the right).

2) same as above with arm crossing stuff. Probably very difficult since having the diabolo roll on the string with crossed arms should reveal interesting...

JiBe

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2004, 06:32:44 pm »
I suppose the literal translation would be cross handed throw, normal throw, other way cross handed throw, normal throw. Just an idea.
As for low i guess it would include a lot of stalls like the 2 diab version in one of Donald Grant's books.

High is definately possible, dunno if you can really call it mills mess though. I'd be interested to hear Sean's idea.