Author Topic: New Henrys axles  (Read 38826 times)

seán_

New Henrys axles
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2006, 02:04:23 am »
I wouldnt take those three diabolos to Millstreet Barnesy ;), I miss my green G2 I had plans for it in Ireland.

Glad to hear the step doesnt seem to hurt! Has anyone got an allround on its side yet?

Sean

• Administrator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2006, 07:15:29 am »
Dave, I'd be interested to hear your opinion on these after a bit more use. How did they fair at the gym? Any idea what hand launching them into a high pattern is like (backhanded)?
Quote from: barnesy
So now I have Red White and Blue* Circusses.  Hmm, people will think I'm Dutch.  Or even French...

or American. :P

Strangely, even when I was at the Henrys factory outlet they couldn't sell a diabolo with plastic hubs. I was given the option of waiting a day for 6 replacement cups and 3 hubs to be brought over from the factory which I could buy separately and combine myself.

barnesy

• Administrator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2006, 10:29:25 am »
Quote from: Sean
Dave, I'd be interested to hear your opinion on these after a bit more use. How did they fair at the gym? Any idea what hand launching them into a high pattern is like (backhanded)?

Yup, I still like them!  I had some nice 3 low runs with them, which is the thing that matters most to me at the moment.  The amount of extra width seems right - almost like they're not wide axles at all, but they still have the benefits of wide axles.  I guess they wouldn't call them 'all round' kits otherwise!

I only ever go to high patterns from 2 low or from a rocket start, so I can't comment on hand launching them.  But if you mean a high version of this sort of throw: http://2diabolo.net/media/2in1handthrowin.mpg they seem fine.  There's just enough extra width to let you get your middle finger right on the axle, which I think will give more control and better spin.

So now I have Red White and Blue* Circusses.  Hmm, people will think I'm Dutch.  Or even French...

Oof, steady on!   :P

Strangely, even when I was at the Henrys factory outlet they couldn't sell a diabolo with plastic hubs. I was given the option of waiting a day for 6 replacement cups and 3 hubs to be brought over from the factory which I could buy separately and combine myself.

Very odd.  It feels cynical to accuse them of profiteering, but I don't see a reason to be that inflexible.  And to make things worse, they want to charge more for the aluminium axle kits than they charge for the decent ones!  

Dave

Chiok

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2006, 10:06:09 pm »
I've just had a go at trying to make a set of Allround kits after work today and I have to say, it's not that easy.  I had them drawn out and everything but just couldn't turn them out.  Definitely something easier to do on a CNC lathe.

And they were going so well..

I might just have to buy some... *sigh*

Chiok
(damn, can't look at diabolo.ca/forum at work...)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

The Void

New Henrys axles
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2006, 10:47:22 pm »

Or Russian etc etc

The Void
Nyet, ya koshka!
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

barnesy

• Administrator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2006, 07:46:26 am »

I didn't get a reply from Henrys (or haven't yet, after 5 days).  I'm disappointed by that - I'd have thought they'd be more helpful.

A quick update: I've just received a reply from Henrys, telling me to order the diabolos and the axle kits seperately.  Pretty useless.

Scooby

New Henrys axles
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2006, 08:57:20 am »
i dont really understand

are they good or not,    the gap bettween the hubs and the axel look brutal..
(another californian word i learnt from sensai :lol: )

or should i just get a tuning kit?
------------------------------------------------
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!

barnesy

• Administrator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2006, 09:08:00 am »
They're all tuning kits.  Just different ones.  

Are you asking if they're any good after reading what I wrote?  I thought I was pretty positive about them!  

The gap looks worrying, but I don't think I've ever noticed it while using them.   I guess they're shaped like that so the plastic can be thicker at that point, so stronger.

William

• VotW Contributor
New Henrys axles
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2006, 11:01:35 am »
Quote from: The Void

Or Russian etc etc

OR AN AUSSIE!!!  :D
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

frank0072

New Henrys axles
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2006, 11:34:38 am »
this kind of talk might be a little offtopic.. mods!
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

john_s

New Henrys axles
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2006, 12:40:15 pm »
bringing things back a little, i have a question about the henrys ultralight kit. one of the main reasons that i've been so dedicated to finesses is the weight, as i have a damaged shoulder caused from juggling no less - a couple of hours with a finesse is fine, but i get a bit fatigued and uncomfortable with the circus.

what i want to know before i hand over my hard earned cash is do these kits compromise what makes the circus so great in any way? what i mean is, i think part of the reason circuses are so stable and spin for so long without needing correction is due to the inital weight. something about weight and momentum which i don't really understand but vaguely get the concept. surely knocking 50g off, making it not only 250g but 4g less than a finesse will have some impact on this? or is the whole stability issue more to due with the rubber cups and the shape of the cups, different centrifugal force etc?

i just want to make sure that if i do part with £25, which is a lot of money, i'll still have pretty much the same old reliable circus that we all know and love. just lighter.

/john, looking forward to actually being able to use 2 circuses for more than 15 minutes

Scooby

New Henrys axles
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2006, 12:42:06 pm »
im thinking of getting this one

http://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/Black__Extended_Axle_Tuning_kit__Circus___286g.html#aAK_2fTK1_2fbk
(sorry no picture)

is this very similar to the 4erlei kits?

the gap still worries me a bit though..   and the fact that ill be probably the only person in australia with a wider circus than everyone else,  so i cant try it out before hand..      (but that must make me cooler  8) )

i wish i was in france... :lol:

barnesy

• Administrator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2006, 02:11:35 pm »
Scooby: Yes, that is very similar to the 4erlei kit.

John_s: They are a bit different.  To start with, I thought that ultralights didn't keep their speed as well as unmodified Circusses do, but now I think that's either not true, or if it is true, it's not noticeable.

Scooby

New Henrys axles
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2006, 03:22:07 pm »
thanks for that.

i was a bit confused about it all.

:D

hopefully i can buy 2 of these soon.

Graham

New Henrys axles
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2006, 03:55:30 pm »
Scooby: What gap are you referring to? That kit doesn't produce a gap - at least not between the hubs and the axle. There's only a gap in the picture cause they're showing you what you get in the kit - and you don't get axle with it, you use the existing one. You get the hubs which just go in place of your normal hubs and a longer bolt to accomodate them.
Or am I misinterpreting you?  :roll:

Scooby

New Henrys axles
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2006, 04:11:53 pm »
:o     i didnt realise that.  

Thankyou for pointing that out.

I am definatly getting them now.

i thaught it looked a little rough :lol:

uiek

Changing color of henrys axles
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2006, 09:34:34 am »
Y-day I received parcel from Henrys with some juggling stuff, and part of it were my tunning sets for diabolos.

I am very happy with them, but they have one big disadvantage - they are white! Of coure I have known it while ordering, but I had no idea that they will look so awful in my red-green circuses (I am used to my old black teflon axles from Czech Republic).

That is why I'd like to ask do You have any good idea whoy should I do in order to change it colour? Or should I get used to it?

barnesy

• Administrator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2006, 10:10:10 am »
I think you will have to get used to it.  I would be surprised if you could permanently change the colour of that material without damaging it.

uiek

New Henrys axles
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2006, 11:44:28 am »
as I thought :/ If anyone finds good way to change color of the axles - Please let me know :)

Sean

• Administrator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2006, 05:24:26 pm »
Quote from: john_s
...i have a question about the henrys ultralight kit....
what i want to know before i hand over my hard earned cash is do these kits compromise what makes the circus so great in any way? what i mean is, i think part of the reason circuses are so stable and spin for so long without needing correction is due to the inital weight.

John, back to this question:
Basically angular momentum (and hence stability) is a function of the proportion of weight away from the axle. Increase the weight near the axle and you create a diabolo that is less stable and takes more energy to move around - dead weight. This fact has been well known in the yo-yo industry and community for a long time but is still largely ignored by diabolists.

I couldn't come up with anything great... but a quick google search came up with this:
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20040417/bob9.asp

Honestly though, I'm not sure I can notice a big difference between plain plastic hubs and the ultra-light kit.

On a side note - I just received a set of ultra-lights. Strangely, they decided to make the aluminum bolt longer than the original steel bolt and make the washers thicker (maybe so they are strong enough). Anyway, the bolt seems to be too long. If I tighten the nuts all the way the cups can still freely spin. I have to add extra spacers on the bolt to be able to tighten the diabolo properly. It seems strange they would make such a glaring error in engineering these. Also, the hole in the hubs is also a bit larger and the bolt is a bit wider so that I couldn't just re-use my previous hubs.

Anyone with similar or different experiences?