Author Topic: New Henrys axles  (Read 39974 times)

Valium

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2006, 01:46:01 pm »
why not just look at the firetoys homepage and see which one you're searching for

Scooby

New Henrys axles
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2006, 02:03:22 pm »
i tried that..   the problem is i dont know the name.. :?
------------------------------------------------
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!
------------------------------------------------

Valium

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2006, 02:25:09 pm »
but dont you know how the axle looks  :roll:

frank0072

New Henrys axles
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2006, 07:29:07 pm »
a friend of mine made this for me: I will get it this week so then i can try it out. Does it look like the real axles? *(it's only the axle that is different by the way, not the hubs and stuff)

some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

fredo

New Henrys axles
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2006, 08:07:20 pm »
omg, this will be stupidly heavy...And beware of plugging for ati and intel :wink:

frank0072

New Henrys axles
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2006, 08:26:03 pm »
Quote from: fredo
omg, this will be stupidly heavy...And beware of plugging for ati and intel :wink:

it won't be heavy, only the axle is another material then the original. I use teflon hubs on my Circusses, the ones on the photo are the original ones. The only difference between the two is the length of the axle.
SO my question was: is there a big difference between my custom axle and the orginal wide axle?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

fredo

New Henrys axles
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2006, 08:43:37 pm »
that was a misunderstanding...it wasn't clear for me that you use teflon hubs...and of course it's different, it's a unicate your friend made for you :wink:

Matt_

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2006, 01:19:46 am »
Quote from: frank0072
SO my question was: is there a big difference between my custom axle and the orginal wide axle?

yes, because there is no "original" wide axle for the circus, just custom fabrications (such as yours). there are wide hubs, yes, but not wide axles.

Martijn

New Henrys axles
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2006, 03:33:16 pm »
Quote from: Matt_
there are wide hubs, yes, but not wide axles.

How about this one Matt? :wink:

download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

frank0072

New Henrys axles
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2006, 09:55:48 pm »
Martijn, you are becoming some kind of Oracle here, watch out it doesn't make you arrogant ;)

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Martijn

New Henrys axles
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2006, 10:02:22 pm »
Sorry, I don't quite get what you are trying to say? Matt said something wrong, and I wanted to tell him he was wrong, to prevent further confusion in this thread. I'm sorry if you thought I was being arrogant, because that wasn't my intention at all.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Matt_

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2006, 12:49:34 am »
thanks for the correction, Tijn, i forgot about the Twist.

anyway, i put on my "Giant" kit today, and i have to say, after a bit of testing, i dont like it much.

i LOVE the lightweight washers. brilliant!

however, i've come to the conclusion that i'm not a fan of widened diabolos. it's easier for me to throw in a narrow diabolo. grinds (finger and stick) are great though.

the main thing that bugs me is this.

for those of you wondering, the 4erlei kit is A LOT narrower. it actually matches the hub. this has a weird feeling of the string inside that gap, i dunno, it's odd.

i've decided i just like the plain, narrow henry's (sorry Hall-sensei!). i like the ultra light plastic washers, but i cant see myself slapping down another  30 or 40 bucks just to make all my circuses the same (aka, all "ultralight"). ill probably just sell the Giant kit and buy the standard Henry's plastic hubs kit (with the metal washers) so i can go back to using 3D with the Circuses.

barnesy

• Administrator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2006, 11:28:38 am »
Yuk.  I played with a Henry's prototype some time last year (probably the Berlin fest) and it had the same odd step.  It seems such an obvious thing to need to get right, but perhaps not.

I'm happy with my ultralights.  I bought them from Akrobat, so I think they're very similar to the Henry's kit, but not the exact same ones.  My other three Henry's still have the wide 4erlei kit on them, but they seem really huge and cumbersome now I'm used to the ultralights.  I can use ultralights a lot longer than standard Henry's.  But I do like the extra width for some things, so I'll probably buy some JC axles for my old set of Henry's.  But then it seems there's more choice than that...

frank0072

New Henrys axles
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2006, 11:37:35 am »
a question about the washers. Is it possible to buy those in Teflon, or are they for sale at the local hardwarestore or something? I was just thinking about that, so does anyone already know?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

JC

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2006, 02:04:37 pm »
@barnesy
"But then it seems there's more choice than that..."

I coudnĀ“t imagine that!

@frank0072
The big washers are no standard parts.
www.diabolonet.de - email to: diabolo-kits@web.de
MONOBOLOS, Henrys Circus, Vision and MB Finesse with round shaped axles

Chiok

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2006, 11:21:18 pm »
Good lord Matt_, those are hideous.  See, I wondered when I saw those photos on the Firetoys website whether that step was just a trick of the photo or actually like that.  Oh dear.  Thanks for letting us know though.  I really thought someone would think about it more carefully.  That step must cause some serious string rubbing because it's trapped inbetween the two hubs.

As for the non-metal washers, I think if you looked about in a hardware / plumbing store with a Henrys washer, you might be able to find something similar to swap them with.  Not to put JC out of business, but just if you're willing to look.  

I think I'd definitely like to try some lighter kits.  I'm still not sure if I like wide-axle kits or not, can't appreciate the natural instability of diabolos as it is.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Matt_

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2006, 09:15:45 am »
barnesy: yeah, i agree it's pretty obvious. i mean seriously, who tests these things? how come i wasn't part of this decision? well maybe because i live in america, but seriously, who tests this?

frank0072: just get any sort of washers. the cool thing about the Henry's stuff is it's an exact width. so just match up the sizes, and you can basically replace it with anything (very easily). even better, if you're really cool about it, get your own bolt/nut/washer setup.

Chiok: yeah, seriously---i never saw any "real" pics so i decided to take the plunge. i wish i hadn't, but at least now the entire world can see how fat and hideous these hubs are, not to mention the gap. oh, and about the wide hub thing---wide axle kits are the unstable ones, i hate doing 2D with two G2s w/evo1...but actually, wide hubs are very stable, so that's not a worry. i guess the main attractions of plastic hubs/parts are light weight and not destroying your string/hubs/sticks with metal on metal (which is basically the same thing people have been saying for years, but since you're still on the metal hub train, i have to keep repeating this to get you to switch to the good side :P)

barnesy

• Administrator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2006, 05:06:19 pm »
Time to drag this thread back to life, I think.

Has anyone actually tried the allround kit?  I'm tempted to try it on the set of Circus I'm about to buy, but I'm a bit worried about the drop between the hub and the axle.  But then I think it doesn't look as pronounced as on the others.

I've just emailed Henrys to ask if they'll sell me three Circus with the allround kit already fitted, so I don't have to pay for the bits I'll never use.  I have six spare aluminium Henrys middles already - I don't want more!  I've been pleased with their service before, so I'm hoping they'll have a good answer.  If it comes down to it, I might just have to order three axle kits and six replacement half shells!

Dave

Matt_

• Donator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2006, 07:00:04 pm »
make sure to take pics of it!

im interested in the ultralight...only because it's what i have, but lighter. too bad that'd be about 60 bucks to upgrade my three diabolos..ugh.

barnesy

• Administrator
New Henrys axles
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2006, 07:44:48 pm »
Yup, will be sure to take pics if (OK, when...) I get some.  I do really like the ultralights, but I like the idea of a little extra width too.  And it seems wrong to buy another set with the same axles if I can manage to add another type to my collection!