Author Topic: Vertax non-turning acceleration  (Read 1168 times)

Kajo

Vertax non-turning acceleration
« on: February 16, 2015, 11:21:32 pm »
Hi.
I have seen some guys spinning diabolo in vertax. They were able to not constantly turn around in a anti-clockwise (for right-handed) direction.

I have tried to do it several times, but the diabolo always leans. So I have to spin it until it reaches the very LEFT of my side and when I should move my feet I suddenly transfer the diabolo completely to the RIGHT side. This LEFT-->RiGHT--> back to left.. repeats. It does not look good and I end either by turning around, or letting the diabolo fall.

Can you please help me?
Do you have any tips for doing this? Like hand position, motion, direction of the string, or anything useful.

Thank you :)

MBg4

Re: Vertax non-turning acceleration
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 03:47:09 am »
First off, what diabolo do you use? It can sometimes be hard to do with a finesse (due to grippy cups).
Anyway, to do this the secret lies in the right hand (for righties). What makes you turn left when in vertax is the string on the left side that is rubbing on the top cup and is also keeping it vertical. What you have to do is use the string on your right to also rub the top cup that the left string is rubbing. You're basically doing vertax normally except your right whipping hand string is also rubbing the top cup, which prevents you from turning left (you may also start to turn right a little). You might find that the diabolo starts to tilt foward, back to the normal horizontal plane. This means either to use less right hand or more left hand (lift your left hand higher to expose the cup to more string).
That probably didn't make sense but with practice you'll get it. Using shorter string may also help and doing much shorter whips.
Let me know what didn't make sense so I can hopefully explain it better.

Wis

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 08:52:17 am »
I was in a workshop with Alexis and Wen-Hsiung, the compact explanation they gave is: in oder to avoid turning, the right hand should go up when you are pulling the diabolo towards you.

Now, let's expand:
- Accelerating in vertax consist of pushing the diabolo away form you (frontwards), and pulling the diabolo towards you (backwards)
- If right hand is lower all the time, one needs to turn
- If right hand is lower only when pushing and up when pulling -> good, you need not to turn
- If right hand is higher all the time, you will go out from vertax and eventually do a front-flip, not recommended. Just kidding, there are other vertax positions that hold this, Marko explored them pretty well, but this film is not necessary for your question, just informative

For your question: the key is the motion to switch the height of the right hand in between pushing and pulling, right hand should be higher when pulling.
I hope that our explanations do not confuse you, and that mine is correct, I ain't no vertax expert.
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

Pemachi

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 05:15:21 am »
I recently learned to not turn counter clockwise and the way I think of it is when accelerating your right hand should pull up and backwards then push down and forwards.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 09:44:14 pm »
Nicely done! That's pretty much it! I do it the same way. Once you've got the hang of it you start gaining more and more speed and having to force Diabolo to stay on its plane less and less.
┬źDiabolo, whiter than the whitest!┬╗