Author Topic: Question about a leg trick sequence, and about continuous minigenocides  (Read 4800 times)

gt.reaction

I have two separate questions:

Can anyone please explain this sequence to me, from 1:15 to 1:21?
I've been trying to figure it out for a while and I just can't understand it (especially the entry part immediately after he first wraps the string around his left leg)

Second question - how do you control how your string wraps around the diabolo when doing continuous minigenocides? My terminology might be off but I'm referring to doing the trick at 2:12 in this video continuously. I try to get right backwraps (string wrapped from the right side on the side closer to you?) but I end up with frontwraps most of the time instead.

Thanks

Wis

Thanks for the clear way you put your questions!

Concerning your second question, that is not continuos minigenocides, what I call continous minigenocides is here at 1:40-1:46 ()
For your question, in the trick shown at 2:12 the position of the right hand with respect to the diabolo changes. When you are wrapping with your left hand it is a left backwrap, but then you move the right hand to do the minigenocide, in this moment you have a right backwrap, which allows for easy release. It is actually the first time I think of this, probably that is why this trick is so popular and comfortable. Because both when wrapping and releasing you have comfortable backwraps. Just note that on each turn the string unwraps the diabolo in the front side, allowing you to comfortably wrap it with the left hand (left backwrap-right frontwrap). If this does not happen you may be doing something wrong. Maybe a video of you trying will help.

Concerning the first question, after he wraps the string on the leg:
1- pops diabolo to the string between leg and right hand
2- makes an external right wrap (right frontwrap)
3- pull up from the wrap so diabolo would lift and go slight left
4- then (sametime almost) release stick on left hand -> suicide (notice he turns the hand around the diabolo so the wrap stays after the suicide)
5- during the suicide take left leg to normal position and put the right one instead...
6- ... I can continue if you think this helps

Note that it is also important to wrap the leg properly before 1-, if not in step 3 the diabolo will not lift slightly left, but rather create a mess of strings on your leg.
I have never done this trick before, I hope the explanation is correct.

Edit: your second quesiton may refer also to 'how to make a minigenocide in such way that I end up with a right backwrap (internal right wrap)'. If so I can explain that a bit.
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

gt.reaction

Thanks for the detailed and quick response, Wis!

For the first question: I think you basically told me everything that I needed to know, except that I'm a little bit confused on wrap terminology. An external right wrap/right front wrap would be wrapping the diabolo with your right hand, on the side of the diabolo FARTHEST from you? If that's the case, then my problem would be that I've been doing right backwraps attempting that trick.
I guess the easiest way to put it would be: what is the wrap that you make to do Chinese whip acceleration? By my understanding of the terminology that would be a right backwrap.

Second question: Yes I was actually referring to 'how to make a minigenocide in such way that I end up with a right backwrap (internal right wrap)'. I believe that is the easier wrap to follow up with another "Integral D"? I'm able to almost always end with a right backwrap when doing a plain minigenocide, but I don't actually know how I achieve this, and when I attempt the "Integral D" I usually end the final catch with a right frontwrap (string is wrapped from the right side on the side of the diabolo farthest from me) instead for some reason. I've not been able to figure this out, any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

One more thing - is it alright if I ask a lot of "how to do 'x' trick" questions on these forums? I usually spend a lot of time trying to figure stuff out on my own, but sometimes I can't do it without external help.

Wis

For the nomenclature: what Richard does here at 0:05 is what I call an internal righ wrap=right backwrap ().
So answering your question: yes
wrapping the diabolo with your right hand, on the side of the diabolo FARTHEST from you
is
An external right wrap/right front wrap
For me at least.

Concerning 'how to make a minigenocide in such way that I end up with a right backwrap (internal right wrap)'
It is tricky, one can learn how to execute minigenocides (and other release the stick tricks) and choose which wrap he or she wants to end up with. It is a matter of trowhing the diabolo a bit in fonrt or a bit backwards, in which direction you release the stick before the minig. Basically if you cath the diabolo in front of you is more likely you end up in a left internal wrap. If you catch the diabolo and it is 'behind you', you are more likely to end up with a right knot. Actually the reference is not you, but rather where you hold with your right hand the string while menigenociding. So it is possible, BUT hard. Please correct me if you read these lines, think that I am wrong, and your hands are not placed inside a dried concrete block. What I found out that most people do: you rather than learning how to land in the proper wrap, learn how to start minigenocides with any wrap. A good reason for this is that you will learn tons of tricks, and some might be easier to be landed in one way or the other.
Related is this classic tutorial that I have seen for first time today, Tim seems to be a nice fella

And concerning asking many questions. You are right, it is better if you look around and try to find the answer by yourself. If afterwards you ask, then it is fine. To be honest, the forum is a bit down, and I like to talk about diabolo, and I seem to be one of the little people that do not think it is lame to do it online, in public forums. So I am open for more questions, and if I get tired I will let you know.

Good luck!

Icebox

Pull up and back when the released stick is above your head doing minigenocides, this should help ensure you land in a right backwrap. Not guaranteed and it's a little extreme but it's a good way to get started (it's how I got started doing it), and with enough experience you just sort of get a feel for how to do it.

At some point you'll be able to force a wrap no matter how messy the mini-g is and at any point in the trick, it's an intuitive motion that's rather hard to explain, which unfortunately doesn't make it easy to teach. I hope this helps a little bit, I'm around if you have further questions as well :)

Wis

Yes, I forgot that way! I got used to surviving with whatever I landed. I may try to at least change my minigs to land in right backwrap.
Thanks, Ben

gt.reaction

Thanks for all the input! I do know how to do minigs wrapped either way, it's just that I'm bad at seeing which wrap it is, so in combos I just hope that I get the right backwrap and proceed that way haha. I'll try out your suggestions, and practice quickly glancing at the actual wrap in case I don't end up with what I want.
Wis, in regards to the leg trick, are you sure that he is doing a right FRONTwrap and not a right BACKwrap? I'm still learning the motions of the trick, but the sequence after he suicides and ends up with the diabolo underneath his right leg (sequence starts at 1:17) only seems to work for me if I initially started with a right backwrap (of course I may just be doing something completely wrong).
Edit: I mean I can do the sequence starting at 1:17 just fine, with the diabolo underneath the right leg in a right backwrap. I'm never able to get the first sequence to end in that position though (with a right backwrap).

Thank you guys for being open to answering a beginner's questions :)

Wis

No problem ;)

I am not sure it is not a right backwrap, I have not done the trick yet. I just described what I saw. According to what he does in 1:17, pushing with the left hand to the right and tranfering the knot... but I am not sure. I may try later.