Author Topic: So I'm doing a ten minute show...  (Read 1177 times)

MBg4

So I'm doing a ten minute show...
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:59:48 pm »
Hello all,
In December I'm doing a ten minute diabolo show for a children's Chirstmas party. I not so much worried about how to fill the time but how to keep the audiences attention for that long.
Advice?

ChloƩ F.

Re: So I'm doing a ten minute show...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 01:27:10 pm »
Make some eye contact with the audience several times, stop playing diabolo and ask the audience for some applause before you start something impressive  ;)
There's nothing but what's bearable as long as a man can play diabolo.

Furlisht

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 04:54:38 pm »
Create a story maybe? Also yes, stop the show, ask them something, make them react!

MBg4

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 09:45:14 pm »
Ok, thanks guys. ;)

Wis

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 10:22:46 am »
Sorry for the late reply. These are some of my subjective advices:
- Make stupid jokes about poo and pee. Kids love that above everything. Or about your character not tiding up his room, or not liking history lessons... whatever kids can empathize with
- Take a volunteer. You can ask a kid to blow and elevator, to hold his arm at middle height so you can orbit it.
- Make questions a couple of times so they can answer screaming.
- There is always a kid trying to sabotage you, you can have something prepared to deal with that. Me and my colleague had an old electric heater, we called it a noise detector, and we used to take it on scene at the middle of the performance. He plugged it into my nose, and then we swept the audience imitating a beep with our voice, the beep was more intense/frequent near the kids that screamed a lot (if you didd not pay attention durig the performance to who those kids are you can do it random), and next to the kid who did not scream there was almost no beep at all, then you tell the kid he should cheer the performance more. In our case it was quite effective, kids seemed to truly wonder whether this device was real, much more than wondering whether my nose is an actual power outlet.
- Talk, talk, talk, talk. When I performed for kids, I was doing tricks less than 20% of the time.
Good luck
"The string...the inertia...the hours"