Author Topic: Low 3 high pattern  (Read 4847 times)

Richard

Low 3 high pattern
« on: January 19, 2015, 10:45:12 pm »
Hey,

Does anyone know of a good video of someone doing a really low 3 high pattern, or could anyone film themselves doing it?

I've been working at this for a while and I know that I'm improving with time but I've still got a long way to go before getting solid at it. In fact, I find a lot of the siteswaps a lot easier than running a relatively low 3-high pattern.

Thanks!

Rich

Timaeschulze

• VotW Contributor
Re: Low 3 high pattern
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 12:47:54 am »
I thought about this some time ago aswell!

I prefer a higher pattern in general, it feels better to me and I can run it longer. Plus it looks more aesthetic in my opinion.
But pulling tricks with it is significantly more difficult for me than it is with a lower pattern. I guess it is because a lower one might be more stable. This combined with the fact that the pattern is faster could be the key for 'getting rid' of the diabolos easily which is quite important for pirouettes for instance.

Or maybe we should just train harder?  :-D

MBg4

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:50:41 am »
Anyone who's got Planet Diabolo can surely confirm that Etienne can do an extremely low 3 high pattern in the tutorials section. Like seriously, 3 high in a room. He used string that's quite short which I guess helps.

5p3ak

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 07:26:54 am »
How low is a low 3D high pattern?

Does a BIG Async pattern count as low 3D high ?
Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/MaFiaZai

Arjan

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 10:04:40 pm »
The question is legit, what is a low high pattern, and what defines a high low pattern. I can't give the answer, but I do suggest anyone to play with varying heights to improve the control of the pattern. I could film something tomorrow Richard.

Richard

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 10:40:52 pm »
Thanks a lot guys :)

Arjan, I remember your advice you gave me a while back and you mentioned that I should bring the pattern lower.

I totally agree - makes sense to have more control (with more practice). 

A video would be great thanks!

Another thing I've noticed is that I find it harder to lower the pattern than increase it. I guess because there's not much time in between catches already and lowering the diabolos gives me even less time. Are there any tips for this? Like maybe doing a 3 then 2.5 and 2.5 to bring them all closer to each other?

Rich

Timaeschulze

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 11:22:24 pm »
I always thought that the definition for a 3 low pattern is always having at least two diabolos in the string at the same time.
Therefore a 3 high pattern is only having one diabolo in the string (or none of course).

Relating to the actual height is not the point in my opinion, timing is.
So it is possible to have a higher 3 low pattern than a normal 3 high pattern, if this makes any sense.

I agree with Arjan, that practising transitions between both patterns is a fundamental thing of having the most control one can have! Since I am doing this, my 3 diabolos as a whole got smoother and way more stable.

Arjan

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 07:44:20 pm »
Richard, as I promised some footage of me running some low(ish) 3 high. I finally got around uploading them to my youtube account. This is my account, you'll be able to find them there. Let me know if you have specific questions. A bit of advice from me would be to have the receiving hand (the dominant hand, you right) to be lower then normal and also less active in "pushing" the diabolo for the throw/release from the string, but trying to keep it longer on the string (more string time, instead of airtime). A final note on high diabolo stuff is this great quote I tell my students; a high pattern doesn't happen above, instead it happens below, that's the part we can control, the catch and throw.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ArjanGroe/videos

Richard

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 04:53:57 am »
A bit of advice from me would be to have the receiving hand (the dominant hand, you right) to be lower then normal and also less active in "pushing" the diabolo for the throw/release from the string, but trying to keep it longer on the string (more string time, instead of airtime). A final note on high diabolo stuff is this great quote I tell my students; a high pattern doesn't happen above, instead it happens below, that's the part we can control, the catch and throw.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ArjanGroe/videos

Thanks a lot Arjan!

That's a really good video and I'm going to keep watching it as inspiration. It's great to see such control :)

Why do you say that the receiving hand (your left) should do less pushing along the string? I thought the receiving/driving hand should push actively towards your other, releasing hand?

Rich

Arjan

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 08:34:44 am »
Well, I can't simply explain why it is exactly. But it feels(!) that a less active, slightly lower left hand for me makes the lower high pattern. It has to do with the amount of time the diabolo is in the string I guess. But I'm not sure what it is, and there must be more to it. Just try it and let me know if it works for you.

Richard

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 12:15:09 am »
I've been playing around with the low driving hand and yeah, it does make a difference - thanks!

troposfera.net

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 11:39:14 am »
Hi! Sorry for the delay.

I was thinking on that, and I addapted the "Normal" Siteswap (Balls one) for diabolos, and you can write those diferent paterns (the ones that Arjan recorded).

3 diabolos SITESWAPS

High High Synch Siteswap . (ax,0)(0,2xB)
Low High Synch Siteswap . (8x,4xB)(0,0)

Low High Asynch Siteswap . 093B0

I open a new Topic to explain this kind of notation, here you can find the information.
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=12561.msg117712#msg117712

Direct link to 3 Diabolos High Notations.
http://troposfera.net/autodidactic/theory/ax002xb-3-diabolos-high/

I hope that will help you... Also you can learn a lot of tricks with that notation like ... High-Low-High.

Keep Juggling
Dídac
troposfera.xyz
pervertidors de l'aire