Author Topic: WJF Diabolo RoXXed  (Read 8764 times)

web

WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« on: December 21, 2005, 02:20:22 pm »
OK, I just got back from the WJF.  I know everyone thought that the Diabolo competition would be just Norbi and Yabe, but it wasn't.

The competition started with Norbi, who did pretty well.  He seems to have gotten a lot better (at least from what I can tell from his vids.)

Then a Japanese juggler (living in England) named Tempe was up.  He did some pretty nice stuff.  The highlights of this were in his excaliber section where he did a double genocide, a genocide to somehow bringing the handsticks behind his back or something, and a triple genocide!

Then Yabe was up.  If you've seen his IJA routine from this year, you've seen his WJF routine.  Unfortunately I think there were more drops.....

Then there was a diaboloist from (I believe) Taiwan named William.  Basically, he would have owned at the IJA.  It was weird because he had quite a few poses and went along with the music pretty well.  But he was fantastic.  He had no drops, creative excaliber shtuffff, a few MFP tricks, and a ton of energy.  He did some REALLY fast one diabolo stuff.  

The competion rocked.  Here is the official order:

4. Norbi
3. Tempe
2. Yabe
1. William

I don't know the scores.  Norbi, feel free to fill in any more details or correct me when you get back home.

Mike Webster

frank0072

WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 04:49:58 pm »
I think I speak for the whole lot here if I ask for video's :)!

I am really curious for that William guy, how old is he, how long has he been diaboloing etc etc.
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Ben

• VotW Contributor
WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 06:23:16 pm »
yes yes must have vids

:D

Chiok

• Donator
WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 07:26:08 pm »
I do believe (like last year) you weren't allowed to film any of the competition footage (it's like taking photos inside somewhere that has postcards).  Unless you're Trash of course and are sneaky.

Convention Hall footage though, that's up for grabs I believe.  I too would like to see some of this if someone was fortunate to film any and kind enough to edit and post it  :D

Cheers for that update,
Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

web

WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 01:48:21 pm »
I didn't realise Norbi aalready mad a couple of posts about the diabolo scene at the WJF.  Well, there's a few of William's tricks (or those from other diaboloists) in the WJF convention clips at www.thewjf.com

Oh, there's a trick from Tempe too.

Mike Webster

fredo

WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 01:53:12 pm »
Where exactely are the clips? I can't find them... :oops:

seán_

WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 02:05:15 pm »
towards the bottom of that page you will see two links, clip one and two

Dont worry about it Fredo, wjf page is usually a bitch to navigate.

fredo

WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 03:00:23 pm »
Thx, seán_ .

I ever wondered if it's just me who's too stupid to find anything on that page...

Chiok

• Donator
WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 07:47:58 pm »
Those lil bits of diabolo in there were nice.  Good to see it's getting more show time and recognition than last year.  Guess it's as a result of the awesomeness of last year.  William seems to have somewhat of a "Chinese Style" about him, which is cool as it sounds like he's got some mad skills to back it up.  How many jumpropes did he manage?

Like it though, very nice.  Very grateful of the WJF.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Pete

• VotW Contributor
WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 09:06:01 pm »
Awesome stuff. That two hands whip skippy thing is a cool trick i must learn it. Great sprinkler norbi.
How old is william? Does any one know?
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Rîkû

WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2005, 07:40:15 pm »
Does anybody have that Tempe´s triple genocide?

seán_

WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2005, 08:00:20 pm »
Quote from: Rîkû
Does anybody have that Tempe´s triple genocide?

or his Quad?

BTW from what I understand, Vux might have been the first to pull a multiple, he told me he was on stage and missed a single so swung it around for a second pass and nailed it first attempt in front of an audience

The whippy skippy thing I first saw Priam do that with 3 at the last BJC if my memory serves me right. (and 3 high to 3d bounce to 3 high again, purely to shoot down Matt H ;) )

Jussi

• VotW Contributor
Re: WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 05:17:19 pm »
if you must compare WJF Diab competitions 2004 and 2005 what would you say? was it better last year?

KaTurN

WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 07:42:53 am »
the highlights for me was he had no drops pulled out 2 insane things

1 was a vertax genoiced off the floor with a plastic diabolo he got it up had it spining on the floor (in vertax) then did the genocide to swoop it up

Other was he had 2 going launched one up and did the vertax tip of the stick grind while the other was going

flawless performance scored a 10.3 (or something like that)

fredo

WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 11:45:41 am »
10.3? :shock:  Antonin got 8.99 last year, I think...

EDIT: OK, I looked after the official scores
and tempei got 7.0...

Diabolo

6.1 Norbi
7.0 Tempei Arakawa
8.3 Ryo Yabe
8.8 William Wei-Liang Lin

These are the official scores.

Martijn

WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 12:02:49 pm »
Yeah, but I believe that the system changed this year...
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

fredo

WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 12:07:50 pm »
Why should the system have changed? i think KaTurN got wrong information... I got the scores from the wjf homepage and ryo for example got almost the same score as last year... (Or I'm just too stupid to understand what you mean Martijn :roll: )

seán_

WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2005, 05:42:01 pm »
Searching for a bit about William I found this from the Las vegas Weekly
Lin, who came from Taiwan for this competition, does not speak English. But according to his schoolteacher, Angela Wen Hsiu Tseng (not a specialized juggling teacher, but his gym teacher), who traveled here with him, diabolo is very popular with children in Taiwan. "He came to my class and was very interested in this so I teach him," she says. Lin has been working at diabolo since he was 9 for an hour every day and longer on vacations and weekends. "In the beginning it was just for fun," his teacher says, "but then I realized that he had talent and I tried to push him to do more things and he can do that. There are competitions in Taiwan and he won a medal at one of them." Lin is so dedicated to diabolo that he hasn't even considered leaving the convention to see anything else in Las Vegas.

I find Garfield to get his reaction to the extraordinary performance by this dedicated 15-year- old juggler and discover that I have made another faux pas.

"Diabolo is not really a juggling event," Garfield says. His disapproval is obvious. "It is more an auxiliary prop event that does become juggling when you get into two or three of them. But with one it is just a manipulation skill. Clubs, balls and rings are the standard objects."

I decide right then and there to send diabolo winner William Wei-Liang Lin a brand new tie-dye T-shirt.

I love that closing sentence.

Seán_
reminds me of the main argument between conservative and liberal members of the IJA being weather tie-dyed t-sirts should be single or multi-coloured

Donald

World Diabolo contest
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2005, 07:21:33 pm »
http://tw.news.yahoo.com/051219/43/2nqj3.html

I'm going to search this 1st Video

web

WJF Diabolo RoXXed
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2005, 07:54:53 pm »
I'm not sure if the diabolo scoring system was reworked, but I know the other scoring systems were changed.  One difference from this year's judging to last year's was the judges, none of them were diaboloists.  Oh well, if I had to place them in an order from first to fourth, I would have place the competitors at the same places.