Author Topic: Can''t even get it to spin...  (Read 3157 times)

theAfanc

Can''t even get it to spin...
« on: June 23, 2015, 04:48:07 am »
Ok... So what am I doing wrong?  Every video I watch says to put the diabolo on the floor in front of your right foot and move it from right to left and lift it in the air to get it spinning.  Mine doesn't spin, it just sits on the string and then falls off.  what the heck man?

I have tried spinning it both ways and it doesn't move at all.  I've watched videos online about how to start and it talks about having the white or black side facing you based on your handedness but the middle of my Diabolo is all black on both sides.  Soooooo I have no idea what to do o.o  again. 

I have tried putting it on the ground and pulling it up like the videos say and then when it didn't spin, I turned it around to try the other way and it still doesn't spin.  I am just so confused....

JT

Re: Can''t even get it to spin...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 09:18:35 am »
Hello and welcome to diabolo.ca :D

Firstly, the part about the white and black axial of the diabolo is if you have a Bearing diabolo. If they are both black then you have a fixed, so it doesn't matter which way the diabolo is.

If you are right handed then you are correct in putting it on the ground to your right and rolling it to your left. It is difficult to say exactly what the issue is without seeing it, but I'll take a guess.
You may be lifting the diabolo off the ground too late. it should still be rolling to the left as you lift up, so it continues spinning. If you lift to late, once the diabolo has gone too far to the left, then it wont be spinning when you lift it up.

Rolling along the ground is just a way to give it a quick bit of starting speed for stability. Speed = Stability. What are you doing after you lift it? The tutorials probably tell you to tap your right hand up and down. You may be doing this a bit wrong. You want to make small but quick pulls with your right hand, whilst the left says relatively firm and still. If you are moving both up and down then the diabolo wont get any speed.

Let me know if this helps. Also, filming your progress is not only a good way to stay motivated, but also very good for getting feedback from both yourself and others. What might not be obvious from your perspective might be very obvious on camera.

Goodluck
Jordan

theAfanc

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 04:23:43 am »
My partner got it to work just fine which annoys me >.<  But I think I am just picking it up either to soon or two late.

We are also having a really hard time with the diabolo twisting around and tangling up on the string.  He has tried whip starting it to make it spin faster and any tricks we try just twists it up.  If we have some time to play tomorrow I will take video to get feedback.  I like your idea of video documenting the learning process :P

Wis

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 08:59:33 am »
I have very little to add, JC described everything very nicely. I just want to point out that often people turn (drag along the ground surface) the diabolo either too fast or too slow when in the ground, and this difficults lifting it at the right point. Maybe experiment with different speeds for the rolling the diabolo on the ground part.
You may be lifting the diabolo off the ground too late.
Other thing that people tend to do and does not help at all is rolling the diabolo on the ground first from right to left, then from left to right, and then again from right to left, and in this moment they try to lift. This kind of swinging from one side to the other never, imo, helps. Intuition is not always on our side...
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

Helennabolo

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 09:47:12 am »
I was learning from this video, now I'm almost can do it spin :)