Author Topic: EJC diabolo battle: Open discussion - sponsors and other feedbacks  (Read 1146 times)

Wis

Hi people,

I would like to hear your opinion about sponsors and any other feedback you can provide. I could have this discussion in a non-public way. But since we are a community I want to hear your opinion.

I want to discuss two questions:
- What kind of sponsor for the awards do you prefer?
- To what extent we want to accept more popular sponsors not related to diabolo?

I would like to get more feedback on this. I organize the diabolo battles in the EJC. We have had two editions with the following sponsors
EJC diabolo battle 2014:
Juggle Dream - 30 typhoon diabolos
The Planet Diabolo Project - 3 DVDs + Donald's recording assistance
EJC diabolo battle 2015:
Epic - 30 New Epics 2015
The Planet Diabolo Project - 3 DVDs + Donald's recording assistance
Red Bull PAO:
Red bull
- Awards?
- Rental of the place
- Scenography
- Recording equipment
- Advertising

Concerning 1 - Awards
Soon I will start contacting potential sponsors. This year the idea is to try to have more than one sponsor. Any preference? Any sponsor you would like to avoid? Any crazy idea? Do you like the current system?

Concerning 2- Sponsors not related to diabolo
Concerning this there is only this opinion so far: http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=12631.msg118146#msg118146 I agree with it quite a lot.

So, it is your chance to talk and give the diabolo community a together brain, and not only a together pair of eyes and hands.

Speak your opinions out loud, thanks!
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

samuli

• VotW Contributor
Re: EJC diabolo battle: Open discussion - sponsors and other feedbacks
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 10:20:10 am »
When will the 'EJC diabolo battle 2015' -video be published?

www.fdc2016.org /www.supiainen.com

Donald the Trekky

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 10:38:17 am »
Hi Samuli, It is still on the making, I can't say when it will be ready yet, I still need more days to work on it, and I have difficulties to find them I admit :)

Regarding sponsors : my opinion is the one's who do not interfere, but you know all about my opinions Wis.

von_Ungern_Sternberg

• Planet Diabolo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 12:47:58 pm »
Hi! Great you discuss this in Public.
I think as many sponsors as possible, as well none diabolo ones are great. I think it is great that Red Bull sponsored the event in Taiwan. In my view, the sponsors should not interfere too much with the competition. For example, they should interfere about judging... But if they organize a location that is nicer for filming prepossess, or organize cloth for the participants for their publicity, it is all fine for me. It would be great if those competitions become more main stream, so I m ok with some interference of external sponsors. In my opinion, you should contact Red Bull, and other extrem sport brands, and see what can come out of the deal.

Let's be honest, we can not have a diabolo battle that is more main stream, without any external interference.

@Donald, Thanks for the editing work. I m looking forward to watch this big project!

Furlisht

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 01:09:12 pm »
About the sponsors, i'm all for them as long as they don't interfere with the spirit of the last battles. It was my first time seeing it live last year and i really liked the family feeling of it. Also, the fact that it's open to every level is an important value to me!

Wis

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 01:22:31 pm »
Also, the fact that it's open to every level is an important value to me!
This kind of feedback is very valuable, thanks!

Thanks to all of you. Please, you can comment in this thread with just saying 'I agree with X', if the person X said already what you think. What I mean, I need to know how many people think in one way, and how many in a different way, etc...

I am glad you like that I made it public, Jan :)
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

Donald the Trekky

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 01:52:55 pm »
in my opinion, the more there will be sponsors, the more we will loose the Diabolo Battle spirit, furthermore with non-diabolo sponsors. To me the purpose of the battle is to have fun before everything else. The first battles, in brussels, were the best to me and the only thing that motivated the competitors was to battle, not to win non-diabolo products or diabolo products but of a extremely poor quality and so.

Anyway that's just my view but I might be getting too old may be lol.

I strongly agree that the battles shoul stay openned to every one.

(btw I do hate Red Bull!)

Furlisht

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 02:57:52 pm »
in my opinion, the more there will be sponsors, the more we will loose the Diabolo Battle spirit, furthermore with non-diabolo sponsors. To me the purpose of the battle is to have fun before everything else. The first battles, in brussels, were the best to me and the only thing that motivated the competitors was to battle, not to win non-diabolo products or diabolo products but of a extremely poor quality and so.

Anyway that's just my view but I might be getting too old may be lol.

I strongly agree that the battles shoul stay openned to every one.

(btw I do hate Red Bull!)

I agree, i would prefer having the local brewery as a sponsor than redbull :D

von_Ungern_Sternberg

• Planet Diabolo Project
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 03:32:49 pm »
To me the purpose of the battle is to have fun before everything else. The first battles, in brussels, were the best to me and the only thing that motivated the competitors was to battle, not to win non-diabolo products or diabolo products but of a extremely poor quality and so.

To me a sponsor is not to bring big prices to the competitors. That would indeed change the spirit of the battel,and I think that's bad. I think a sponsor should bring visibility to  the event and to the diabolo discipline.  This is why I m for external sponsors. Even if their drinks are not  the ones I support the most.

Graham Milligan

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 05:20:55 pm »
Its a strange situation to be in,

I think that If the diabolo battle was separate from EJC or any convention, I would take the outside sponsorship from RedBull in a heartbeat, just for the fact that they would and could raise the awareness of Diabolo and Circus to the world. If they can or want to give us space, cameras, products and want to make it look "hip or cool" then go for it, whats the harm or shame in it, I think it's fun and cool, that's why I do it. Spread the Love.

However as this is at EJC and is an EJC event, I think it's important to keep it within the festival where the community, friends and family can enjoy it and be inspired rather than inviting it to be sold to some corporates in exchange for some extra goodies and online publicity.

Hope this helps
G
Some Craic!