Author Topic: EJC 2016 - Diabolo.ca Collab Performance  (Read 3056 times)

Graham Milligan

EJC 2016 - Diabolo.ca Collab Performance
« on: March 05, 2016, 05:30:14 pm »
Hey All,

I just started this thread because I'm interested in seeing who all is going to be coming to EJC this year. Over the last couple of months I've been stewing over the idea of getting a bunch of the many talented diaboloists from this forum and putting on a showcase at one of the open stages - kind of like a "Diabolo.ca Collaboration Performance"

I feel this is a great opportunity for a lot of people to showcase their skills on stage without having the pressure of a whole routine to memorize and hit - It would hopefully be 8 - 12 of us running about doing maybe 2 or 3 mega flashy tricks each to create 5-6 minute peice of pure epicness.

Just putting out the feelers to see who would be interested, I already have some ideas about the layout of the performance and now just need the numbers.
I'm thinking we organise it to be near the end of the convention so we have the start/middle to practise.

What do ye's think?
Some Craic!

Wis

Re: EJC 2016 - Almere
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 07:33:53 pm »
Well, I think this is a great idea, count me in. :)
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

Jugglingforlife

Re: EJC 2016 - Almere
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 11:44:35 am »
Great idea, I would be in :)

Graham Milligan

Re: EJC 2016 - Diabolo.ca Collab Performance
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 01:07:45 pm »
just bumping this back up.
would be awesome to get some more people involved to make this as fun as possible.

anyone else interested?
Some Craic!

Wis

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 10:33:35 am »
I think it is a good idea to try to organize it in advance. But in my experience with the diabolo battle it is very hard to get a lot of activity before the convention, people are not so sure about whether they will go, or not, and they are a bit stressed about stages in European level conventions...
I just want to tell you that is normal not to get many answers now, most likely we will need to do more in place.

But still we can discuss details:
- Open stage or Renegade performance?
- I propose to do it before the battle, so the Diabolo Battle gets more publicity
- Maybe we can discuss with an assumed number of players, 10/12, and how it would look like. I believe providing details may encourage people to get involved earlier.

Chloé F.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 01:35:39 pm »
That's quite a good idea!
I don't know much about the way the EJC will take place, nor the open stage and the renegades, but I can possibly participate anyway  :-D
There's nothing  but what's bearable as long as a man can play diabolo.

Graham Milligan

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 04:15:06 pm »
But still we can discuss details:
- Open stage or Renegade performance?
- I propose to do it before the battle, so the Diabolo Battle gets more publicity
- Maybe we can discuss with an assumed number of players, 10/12, and how it would look like. I believe providing details may encourage people to get involved earlier.

Good idea, was going to wait and see if there was more interest first but i think that this is the best way to create more interest.
So i was thinking of doing it for one of the Open Stages, preferably one of the later shows so we have some choreography time during the festival. Open Stage is for a few reasons.

1. more people get to see
2. more room for us to manoeuvre on stage/ more room to perform tricks
3. we can use it to also advertise the diabolo battle as well.
4. will come across as a more powerful performance with better lighting etc.

with the assumed numbers I have had a few different ideas.

I would ideally like to have a great variety of skills and styles - 1D (contact, body + integrals), vertax, 2D, 3D, 4D and some passing [however this all entirely depends on who puts their names down]
In terms of the performance itself I would like to keep it interesting - building in apparent difficulty and wonder throughout our time on stage.

I'm thinking for the start, everyone coming on with 1D doing orbits then doing some short passing sequence until maybe there is a few people left doing 3.
then start with the techy stuff. getting individuals or duo's (whatever people want to do) to step forward and do some show stopping tricks whether it be integrals, 2D, 3D feed the sun combos, passing, the more variety the better - This is the part of the performance where you put down your stamp down and say "BOOM, this is what I like to hit on a Sunday Morning Mothaflipppppaaaaa!"
So depending on the amount of Diaboloists we have depends on how many tricks an individual will have to do - i.e the more we have the easier it is for everyone involved.

The layout of this performance is simple yet effective - every individual may only have to practice and nail 1 or 2 mega tricks for the performance but the crowd will see 20 of them back to back and hopefully be gobsmacked throughout the show (so get your ideas flowing and practise some big ass tricks)
I think the hardest part will be picking a song/tune. I think the earlier we pick one the better as we can start making some concept choreography and everyone will know what to expect before we start practising.

Feel free to write queries, put your name down, suggest songs
I want this to be an OPEN project where we all have a voice - thats what this forum is about after all.

Thanks
Graham =]
Some Craic!

SebiHausi

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 06:08:08 pm »
sounds like fun, i am in.  :-D

Ronnie

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 09:21:30 pm »
I just thought to add that I would really appreciate doing some sort of 4D endurance competition  :-D

Clément

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 11:33:24 am »
Hi :D

This is a really good idea ! i can not be in the EJC this year but we talk about diabolo.ca collab and other stuff and maybe it's time to prepare a new collab video soon ?
I have the time this year to editing this if it's possible of course ! :D
Clemodiab

Pieter

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 02:19:54 pm »

This is a really good idea ! i can not be in the EJC this year but we talk about diabolo.ca collab and other stuff and maybe it's time to prepare a new collab video soon ?

You have my vote !!  ;)

Antho0722

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 04:06:43 pm »

You have my vote too!  :-D

luabduch

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 11:59:45 pm »
can't wait to see you there ;)
If you're coming to Brazil, please let me know!

Graham Milligan

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 01:43:53 pm »
Hey all, I've been offline for a while and haven't really been keeping up to date.
EJC is less than a month away so just thought I'd bump this up again - sorry if I'm being a hassle, I just beleive that a collab performance would be a cool thing to try especially with so many talented diaboloists being in one place.

For anyone that's interested could you stick your name down and then maybe we could make a facebook group to discuss the performance in without clogging up the forum.

YES CLEMENT! awesome that you will be editing this year - maybe I can get some nice footage at EJC for the video
Some Craic!

Richard

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 05:16:06 pm »
Great idea Graham!

Did you get the idea from the FDC? That was SO much fun :)

Im in

Graham Milligan

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 02:57:18 pm »
Great idea Graham!

Did you get the idea from the FDC? That was SO much fun :)

Im in

Hey Richard, I guess the idea of it is similar to the trick jam but just a bit more choreographed and much shorter
Some Craic!

samuli

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2016, 10:56:32 pm »
as FDC got a mention here, I'll suggest you all to pop in at www.fdc2016.org and book yuor travels to FDC, just because FDC is where all the fun is!
www.fdc2016.org /www.supiainen.com

Wis

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 02:53:15 pm »
Hi Graham,

So we choose a day to perform, we see if we are allowed to do it during the open stage. Who will perform? I say we make a list already there with paper and pen, so better check the timeslot first so people can decide based on something. Tuesday sounds good in my eyes.

How does this sound?