Author Topic: Henrys Yellow String Emergency  (Read 24802 times)

Matt

• VotW Contributor
Henrys Yellow String Emergency
« on: December 02, 2004, 10:29:33 pm »
Hi everyone!

Basically, I'm looking for vendors (preferably U.S., but basically any vendor who ships to U.S.) who carry the string.  Serious Juggling is out and I just ran out myself.  

Priam's arriving in one week, WJF is in two weeks, and I dont' have any string to use for my diabolo.

This is not good.

Anyone?  

Matt
Many Thanks to Sean for all his work and inspiration.  Respect to the MFP!

seán_

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 10:44:57 pm »
http://passepasse.com/theshops/index.php?cPath=13_33

You're going to get hammerred on the exchange rate though.
Some of the uk vendors would probably be able to help you, theres a good list on IJDB.

http://www.jugglingdb.com/vendors/

Butterfingers is missing from the uk list.

Maybe another North American could prove more helpfull.

Is there a North American importer for Henrys equipment?

Seán

P.s. Whilst we're here does anybody know where I can get hold of evo3 weights for my finesses. I have tried every shop in the UK that I can think of, none of them can help.

Matt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 11:22:07 pm »
Thanks guys.

I found a vendor in the US--Air Traffic that was able to hook me up.  I also found that Passe Passe had some as well so I ordered from them as well.  

When it comes to string emergencies, money is no object.  

Matt

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 11:34:53 pm »
thats a good point, i need to get my a load of string within the next week (a  load being maybe 2 lengths :wink: )

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 12:21:32 am »
Argh! That's not good. I was also counting on replenishing my supply in Vegas. Any chance that Serious Juggling will be getting in a shipment right before the festival like they did for the IJA? I was also planning on picking up another pair of aluminum sticks and some plastic hubs for my axles from Serious Juggling. I'll give them a call shortly.

Running out of string at a time like this is definitely not cool. Hope you get your string soon, Matt!

Sean

seán_

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 12:30:16 am »
well relatives who have been asking me if theres anything I want for christmas have a blank look when I say, 'yellow henrys diabolo string, not the microdiabolo stuff, but the other kind'.

Anyone any ideas on the evo 3 weights?

Seán_

Matt

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 12:45:07 am »
Sean,

I talked to Ben today and he told me they might be getting in a big shipment before Christmas in about 2 weeks (which is precisely when WJF starts).  

As for Ben/Serious Juggling being at the festival, I'm not sure.  You'll have to ask Ben if it's going to happen or not.

Either way, I've ordered 2 spools (1 from Air Traffic in Minnesota for about $22 and 1 from PassePasse for 15 pounds) so I got ya covered.  Heck, call Air Traffic.  I know they've got string.  

Right now I've got two sets of sticks strung up, and they've got to last until I get my new stuff!  No excallibur for a while!   :(

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 01:34:27 am »
Quote from: seán_
well relatives who have been asking me if theres anything I want for christmas have a blank look when I say, 'yellow henrys diabolo string, not the microdiabolo stuff, but the other kind'.

Ha! Yeah, I don't even try. ;)

In terms of online stores for the evolution 3 kits, I have found the following: A German site and a French Site (but this one only seems to sell the 10g variety).

I'm sure there's more, but that's all that google has ever found for me with a quick search.

Thanks for the heads up on the diabolo string availability... if Ben's not going to be at the festival I may order some from elsewhere before the festival. I might need to use an American address to ensure that the 'goods' get to me before the festival (Canadian customs like to take their sweet time sometimes)... hmmm anyone want to volunteer? ;)  I'll e-mail you, Matt, if that becomes an issue.

No excalibur - that's a tragedy! You're missing out on all the fun! The excalibur genocide is brutal... not sure if I'll be anywhere near getting it nailed by the WJF.

Sean

seán_

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 01:56:52 am »
Thanks Sean

I had found them two sites already. The French Site is out of stock and the German one has invalid security certs but is looking like the only option (even though my german is useless :) ).

I am awaiting an email from passepasse, I have sent one to MB (using the address from the under cronstruction site)

I've tried every UK quite a few American, Canadian and European ones and have got as far as looking at eastern european ones.

I have some more thoughts but I think I should start a different thread before the Mods get upset with me :)

Seán

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 03:05:09 am »
Quote from: seán_
I have sent one to MB (using the address from the under cronstruction site)

Uh, huh... good luck. Why don't you ask them what decade they are going to get around to finishing/starting their website while you're at it? :)

I like the subject of this post... no it's not a fire, a tornado, or world famine... it's a "Henrys Yellow String Emergency".  :lol:

I understand your pain.

Sean

Dax

My string just snapped
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 01:31:41 pm »
Does anyone know a good place on the internet where to get some top quality stuff and low low prices??

Please inform me!

seán_

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 02:15:04 pm »
Dax, Henrys yellow seems to be the string of choice I have been having a look for it myself recently. if you buy it probably best to buy it by the roll.

There is a link for shops in the websites sticky. we are using the IDJB shop, club and convention listings rather than reinventing the wheel. Good luck.

Tom Derrick

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 08:18:15 pm »
I just bought a reel from firetoys.co.uk. It was one of the only UK places I could find that sold larger lengths.

If you want, I'll give you a couple of metres the next time I see you at Oxford juggling club.

Dax

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 04:14:05 pm »
does anyone know any UK vendors that do Henry's yellow string? I don't feel like paying 17 euros for shipping a 12.50 euro product.

Thanks

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 10:17:48 pm »
tried www.firetoys.co.uk ? im not sure if it's Henry's or not, it doesn't mention, but it IS yellow  :P

seán_

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 10:38:52 pm »
nah, its different stuff, not as good as Henrys but better than using some of the stuff some juggling shops sell. Its untreated and a bit soft. Matt_H and DaveP use it and seem happy enough with it.

Put it this way, I have just got two 25m rolls of it (one bought, the other a prize) and I will be looking to get some Henrys yellow (or babache string when it appears) as soon as I can find some.

Tom_G

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005, 07:48:13 am »
The Oddballs ( www.oddballs.co.uk ) shop in London has some; I went there a few days ago, but doesn't seem to have it on their website. They have a shop in London and one in Brighton I think.
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

Dax

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2005, 02:41:31 pm »
i have tried oddballs and firetoys and neither of them have it.

Alex

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2005, 02:29:57 am »
I hate to bring this up after so long, but I need better string, and am having no luck finding Henry's string anywhere.  I noticed that Dube makes string now, and was wondering if anyone has used their string before, and if it's any good?  http://www.dube.com/

Dax

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 10:00:53 am »
www.firetoys.co.uk now do have henry's yellow string which is probably the stuff about. it is pretty expensive but it's definitely worth it.

seán_

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 05:47:31 pm »
Quote from: Alex
I hate to bring this up after so long, but I need better string, and am having no luck finding Henry's string anywhere.  I noticed that Dube makes string now, and was wondering if anyone has used their string before, and if it's any good?  http://www.dube.com/

Thats new to me but Dube generally have a reputation for quality when it comes to props.

So Alex are you going to 'take one for the team' and be the first to try it? :)

It would be cool to find an alternative to the sometimes hard to find henrys yellow string.  I dont know if any of the other US based diaboloists can help here, maybe a New York based Carmine St Juggler if anybody knows any of them?

http://www.dube.com/diabolo/images/DiaboloStringAll.jpg

Our all new cord, custom made for us specifically for diabolo in three colors. Braided round in polyester with polyester core. Available in 100 yard spools or packs of 5 precut strings.

Colors:     White, Fluorescent Orange, Fluorescent Yellow.
Diameter:    1.3 mm (.050 inch)
Length:    Precut Strings: 152 cm (60 inches)

$19.95 /spool
$2.50 /pack (of 5 strings)

That seems like a good price to me

Seán

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2005, 06:28:42 pm »
Quote from: Dax
www.firetoys.co.uk now do have henry's yellow string

Why didn't I think of that months ago!  :shock:  North America has been out of the stuff for far too long now and I've been picking old pieces out of the garbage and begging for old string off other diabolists for months.

Better act fast, I just bought half the stock... there are only 2 left. :)

Spooned

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2005, 06:31:09 pm »
Sorry if this is a dumb question ( :oops: )  but whats so good about the yellow henrys string anyway, the stuuf I used to buy was 20p for about 2m and that seemed ok to me.
Diabolo or Diablo

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 07:29:14 pm »
Quote from: Spooned
Sorry if this is a dumb question ( :oops: )  but whats so good about the yellow henrys string anyway, the stuuf I used to buy was 20p for about 2m and that seemed ok to me.

I wrote something about this in the equipment stick at the top of the forum and there is some more discussion of it further in the thread. There is also some discussion of the different colours here.

I think you will have to try a nicely worn in piece of yellow (or orange) henrys string to fully appreciate what we're talking about.

Mattias

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 10:08:25 pm »
i hope that Dubé string is crap for my own sake, me and Moe bought a 100 m line for 400 SEK, it isnt yellow, but it works well though... In comparison, 20$ is 140 SEK. Oh well, when the current 100 is gone we might get a better price/better line.
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Alex

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2005, 11:18:29 pm »
Quote from: Dax
www.firetoys.co.uk now do have henry's yellow string which is probably the stuff about. it is pretty expensive but it's definitely worth it.

Thanks, but $50 for 50 m doesn't seem very good.

I think I'll try some of the Dube string.  It has to be better than what I have now.  I'll let you know if it's any good.

Edit: Apparently my mom went ahead and bought some yellow Henry's for my birthday.  I'll still buy some Dube and compare them, though.

Alex

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2005, 04:21:35 am »
Okay, so I got the Dube string today, two business days shipping just like they said.  :lol:

I cut off my old string and quickly replaced it.  The Dube string appears to be nylon (?) on the outside, with a core of white, almost see-through cords in the middle.  It's stretchy, but only a little.

As I started out, the first thing I noticed was how smooth it felt.  Then I noticed how quickly the diabolos picked up speed.  Doing two diabolos, both got up to speed quickly, faster than I ever had two diabolos going before.  It's going great so far.

But then, after a slightly missed sprinkler suicide, I did some chinese whipping to speed one of them up.  The string rolled up.  I thought it was a mistake, and started over.  It rolled up again.  And again.  And again.  After about 20 minutes of mostly getting out knots from the roll-ups, I decide to get a new piece of string.  The cats were biting and clawing it as I was putting it on the sticks, maybe that had something to do with it.  But the new string rolled up just as quickly.  Not good.

In conclusion, does anyone know how I can treat the string to have it not roll up so much?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2005, 04:34:37 am »
Quote from: Alex
In conclusion, does anyone know how I can treat the string to have it not roll up so much?

Yes, a little sweat and grease from your skin or hair does wonders. Seriously. :)

My experience is that string that comes with a core and outer material usually has problems, although I've never used the Dube string itself.

Spooned

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2005, 05:39:47 pm »
Looks like the age old moto applies here - "You get what you pay for". Shame, if it was good they would have made a fortune  :(
Diabolo or Diablo

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2005, 08:30:30 pm »
i think this thread needs to be sent, with a petition enclosed, to Henry's telling them that they need to work overtime supplying the world with more green string ASAP!

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2005, 10:10:50 pm »
well it appears that everyone has got some so its not really boastable any more, but...

that's right, 20m of it, and so easy to come by. If you have any trouble get in contact with Airtime they will ship to America and can get just about anything so easily. They rock.

kragen

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2005, 03:08:39 pm »
I have 50m of that stuf :D (I went a little silly on the last club order)

Admitedly I do use it purely because everyone else does though - I've heard some of the other colors make the string slightly different - I find the yellow string a little too slipery for finesse wide axels when you first put it on (but degrades very quickly), however it doesnt tend to break for ages (at least not with carbon sticks - it used to break all the time with my ally sticks)

Has anyone tried / compared the different colors? Im thinking of ordering some random colors just to try them out and compare them (I have 2 identical sets of carbon handsticks - at the moment I just use them to have different lengths of string on them).
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2005, 03:37:07 pm »
Quote from: kragen
Has anyone tried / compared the different colors?

Everything (or at least a little bit) that you ever wanted to know about that question can be found here:
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=12

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2005, 08:46:49 pm »
same comment that norbi had about the string, it's pretty common now i suppose, but im still glad to have some :D

isaac

Wher to buy Henry's yellow string
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2005, 10:18:59 pm »
Well, i started a month ago, and this comes a little late, but jugglingstore.com seems to carry the stuff.

kragen

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2005, 01:38:36 am »
hmm, I have a little under 50m of the stuf... but its the only string I've ever used (apart from the string that ships with the carbon sticks, that didnt last long though).

Is there any real reason why I might want to try any other string?
Justin

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2005, 01:47:39 am »
just to see if you like it, i suppose. i like this string better than anything else i've ever tried. currently my frayed, dirty, and old henry's yellow is pretty much equivalent to the brand new henry's white or the other soft green crap i 've had. and comparing broken in henry's to any other string? no contest.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2005, 07:12:14 am »
Is there any real reason why I might want to try any other string?

Babache white or yellow (and possibly the pink) may be worth a try. I have a roll of the Babache white. It's nice stuff - a little wider and with more grip than Henrys yellow. It doesn't last nearly as long but it is perfect right from the beginning. For those that like a less slippery feel it's worth a try (and currently "endorsed" by many of MFP ;) )

The Babache yellow is nearly identical to the Henrys yellow, as far as I know. It's also easier to find and cheaper to buy for me, and other Canadians, at this point.

I'll also mention that I now have 50 meters (well, more like 45 by this point) of the henrys yellow as well as 25 of the babache white. Life is good again. :)

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2005, 06:21:26 pm »
Where did you finally get the Henry's yellow, Sean?  I desperately need string.

Julian

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2005, 09:15:53 pm »
Julian, I ordered the henrys yellow from Firetoys in the UK. That was before I discovered that Goudurix (Quebec, Canada) carries the Babache string under the name "performance" string. You might want to try the Babache yellow instead since it will be significantly cheaper.

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2005, 12:42:24 am »
So you think it's almost the same as Henry's yellow, eh.  Have you tried the Babache yellow?  Do you know whether the diameter is the same as Henry's yellow?  That hot pink looks attractive too!   Hmm, which one to order.

Julian

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2005, 12:48:22 am »
I haven't tried it myself. Priam now uses the Babache yellow. He told me it's basically the same as the henrys stuff. I'll be trying some out as soon as I work my way through the 75 meters of string I now have.

I don't know about the diameter. It looked similar to me. I believe the pink might be the string Baptiste used in the Japanese section of Diabology. Am I wrong?

w35ku

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2005, 09:02:13 pm »
Hi guys, this is maybe an idiot question but... let's try to ask.. :P

Is the Henry's Yellow string the best ?
don't tell if YOU like the string or not, just if IT IS the best :P
Forum: Zuko @ www.zuko.tk
You can find:
Juggling
Multiplex Juggling
And Diabolation

kragen

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2005, 11:10:17 am »
you know that doesnt make any sense at all - you cant have a "the best" - you just have the string that the majority prefer the most ;)

But to answer your question anyway...

Yes it is the best :P
Justin

Ed

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2005, 05:25:13 pm »
you know that doesnt make any sense at all - you cant have a "the best" - you just have the string that the majority prefer the most ;)

But to answer your question anyway...

Yes it is the best :P

Yas you can only have your own personal favourite/best.

In terms of "best" it lasts the longest and is the slickest.

But my favourite is plain white nylon string from my local  "kit box" shop :wink:

w35ku

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2005, 08:27:57 pm »
ok thanks boys, but i live in finland and i cant buy it there.... none(i mean no juggling store) sells it....

any other good strings what i can buy from  any store ? (like kwik-E-mart in US or some kind of car/boat reserve piece store )... .!!! ?
Forum: Zuko @ www.zuko.tk
You can find:
Juggling
Multiplex Juggling
And Diabolation

seán_

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2005, 08:53:38 pm »
w35ku, any juggling store that can get hold of henrys diabolos should be able get hold of it for you, you might have to wait but if they get the idea that every diaboloist in the country will want it they might show some interest. same probably for the babache stuff (though you have to deal with them being slacker than henrys in getting stuff onto the market)

also in the links sticky there is a link to the IJDB vendors list that covers the world, it might be worth loking into a shop that is willing to ship overseas  to you, whichever offers the best rate of exchange/postage

it might be worth checking out diy stores, if you have an idea what kind of string yoiu are looking for you might be able to pick up something simmilar, good luck.

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2005, 03:43:05 am »
So my roll of yellow Babache arrived today.  I immediately started using it and found that it's way too slippery.  If I try to do a wrap start the diabolo just slides down and hits the other one.  I have never used such slick string, is there a way to break it in faster?  The yellow looks nice though, way nicer than dirty white string.

Julian

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2005, 07:59:18 am »
Quote from: |}{|  Julian  |}{|
have never used such slick string, is there a way to break it in faster?

Norbi's soap trick works well. Start here and work your way down. Have you used Henrys yellow before? Can you compare the two? Many people would say the same thing about Henrys yellow. (Strangely enough you can get used to the slipperiness but it's always hard to adjust at first.)

Martijn

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2005, 08:37:54 am »
a while ago, I used some fine sandpaper to make the Henry's yellow a bit less slippery. But then I discovered it ruins the string! so don't do that :wink:

Now, I'm used to the slipperiness :)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2005, 08:38:37 am »
i love the slipperiness of henry's yellow. it's kind of fun to break in a new string, eh?

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2005, 11:35:37 am »
i'm all about speed, and unless i wanna go old school like Dave P  :wink:  i need my backwraps to work well. Granted they start working reasonably soon if you can wear the string in well, but a little soap just speeds it up (pun intended) loads.

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2005, 12:31:12 am »
Thanks, I'll give the soap a try.  This is my first time using Babache yellow so maybe I just have to get used to it.  It's just annoying that I can't wrap start or hover to start two because it's so slippery.  

Julian

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2005, 02:38:51 am »
So I tried the soap trick and my string shrunk quite a bit.  I started diaboloing and it is noticeably shorter.  This is the Babache yellow, does this happen to the Henrys yellow?  It looks like it shrunk up and got fatter.  It's thicker now than the stuff on the spool.  Weird.

Julian

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2005, 10:21:24 pm »
All this talk of making string less slippery is all well and good when you're trying to break in a new string asap.  But what about when you want your string more slippery.  For example, it's still fine string, just grubby so grips like a bugger.  I don't wanna change the string because that's just hassle.  Does putting it through the washing machine actually work?

Chiok
(apologies for the solid paragraph, I smell like a barbeque)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Alex

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2005, 10:30:33 pm »
When I tried the soap thing, it ruined the string.  It worked for a little bit pretty well, but soon the diabolos started wrapping up a lot.  Maybe I just used some bad kind of soap?

If you can't get Henry's string, you might want to try Yale Cordage Racing Braid, 1/16 of an inch diameter  I found it at a boating shop when trying out alternative strings, and it works almost as good as Henry's. (Almost, but not quite).  Also, it's quite a bit cheaper than Henry's.

seán_

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2005, 03:44:04 am »
Dave P introduced me to the joy of furniture polish spray a while back to keep strings slippy. He used a *very* fine misting as and when needed, This was with  Beard string, I don't know if he does this with henrys string.

TimEllis

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2005, 11:55:12 pm »
I buy my yellow string from Higgins Brothers.  Do you know if it's Henry's?  I like the string a lot.  Thanks.
Keeping the world safe from boring people,

Tim Ellis

Check out my YouTube tutorials! 
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TimEllis

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2005, 02:10:59 am »
Quote from: The Ska Boss
I buy my yellow string from Higgins Brothers.  Do you know if it's Henry's?...
'tis Mister Babache I believe.

mike.

• VotW Contributor
Re: Henrys Yellow String Emergency
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2008, 02:26:07 am »
jugglingstore.com i like the henry's orange too
can't believe its not butter