Author Topic: Henrys Yellow String Emergency  (Read 24808 times)

seán_

Henrys Yellow String Emergency
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 05:47:31 pm »
Quote from: Alex
I hate to bring this up after so long, but I need better string, and am having no luck finding Henry's string anywhere.  I noticed that Dube makes string now, and was wondering if anyone has used their string before, and if it's any good?  http://www.dube.com/

Thats new to me but Dube generally have a reputation for quality when it comes to props.

So Alex are you going to 'take one for the team' and be the first to try it? :)

It would be cool to find an alternative to the sometimes hard to find henrys yellow string.  I dont know if any of the other US based diaboloists can help here, maybe a New York based Carmine St Juggler if anybody knows any of them?

http://www.dube.com/diabolo/images/DiaboloStringAll.jpg

Our all new cord, custom made for us specifically for diabolo in three colors. Braided round in polyester with polyester core. Available in 100 yard spools or packs of 5 precut strings.

Colors:     White, Fluorescent Orange, Fluorescent Yellow.
Diameter:    1.3 mm (.050 inch)
Length:    Precut Strings: 152 cm (60 inches)

$19.95 /spool
$2.50 /pack (of 5 strings)

That seems like a good price to me

Seán

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2005, 06:28:42 pm »
Quote from: Dax
www.firetoys.co.uk now do have henry's yellow string

Why didn't I think of that months ago!  :shock:  North America has been out of the stuff for far too long now and I've been picking old pieces out of the garbage and begging for old string off other diabolists for months.

Better act fast, I just bought half the stock... there are only 2 left. :)

Spooned

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2005, 06:31:09 pm »
Sorry if this is a dumb question ( :oops: )  but whats so good about the yellow henrys string anyway, the stuuf I used to buy was 20p for about 2m and that seemed ok to me.
Diabolo or Diablo

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 07:29:14 pm »
Quote from: Spooned
Sorry if this is a dumb question ( :oops: )  but whats so good about the yellow henrys string anyway, the stuuf I used to buy was 20p for about 2m and that seemed ok to me.

I wrote something about this in the equipment stick at the top of the forum and there is some more discussion of it further in the thread. There is also some discussion of the different colours here.

I think you will have to try a nicely worn in piece of yellow (or orange) henrys string to fully appreciate what we're talking about.

Mattias

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 10:08:25 pm »
i hope that Dubé string is crap for my own sake, me and Moe bought a 100 m line for 400 SEK, it isnt yellow, but it works well though... In comparison, 20$ is 140 SEK. Oh well, when the current 100 is gone we might get a better price/better line.
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Alex

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2005, 11:18:29 pm »
Quote from: Dax
www.firetoys.co.uk now do have henry's yellow string which is probably the stuff about. it is pretty expensive but it's definitely worth it.

Thanks, but $50 for 50 m doesn't seem very good.

I think I'll try some of the Dube string.  It has to be better than what I have now.  I'll let you know if it's any good.

Edit: Apparently my mom went ahead and bought some yellow Henry's for my birthday.  I'll still buy some Dube and compare them, though.

Alex

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2005, 04:21:35 am »
Okay, so I got the Dube string today, two business days shipping just like they said.  :lol:

I cut off my old string and quickly replaced it.  The Dube string appears to be nylon (?) on the outside, with a core of white, almost see-through cords in the middle.  It's stretchy, but only a little.

As I started out, the first thing I noticed was how smooth it felt.  Then I noticed how quickly the diabolos picked up speed.  Doing two diabolos, both got up to speed quickly, faster than I ever had two diabolos going before.  It's going great so far.

But then, after a slightly missed sprinkler suicide, I did some chinese whipping to speed one of them up.  The string rolled up.  I thought it was a mistake, and started over.  It rolled up again.  And again.  And again.  After about 20 minutes of mostly getting out knots from the roll-ups, I decide to get a new piece of string.  The cats were biting and clawing it as I was putting it on the sticks, maybe that had something to do with it.  But the new string rolled up just as quickly.  Not good.

In conclusion, does anyone know how I can treat the string to have it not roll up so much?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2005, 04:34:37 am »
Quote from: Alex
In conclusion, does anyone know how I can treat the string to have it not roll up so much?

Yes, a little sweat and grease from your skin or hair does wonders. Seriously. :)

My experience is that string that comes with a core and outer material usually has problems, although I've never used the Dube string itself.

Spooned

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2005, 05:39:47 pm »
Looks like the age old moto applies here - "You get what you pay for". Shame, if it was good they would have made a fortune  :(
Diabolo or Diablo

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2005, 08:30:30 pm »
i think this thread needs to be sent, with a petition enclosed, to Henry's telling them that they need to work overtime supplying the world with more green string ASAP!

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2005, 10:10:50 pm »
well it appears that everyone has got some so its not really boastable any more, but...

that's right, 20m of it, and so easy to come by. If you have any trouble get in contact with Airtime they will ship to America and can get just about anything so easily. They rock.

kragen

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2005, 03:08:39 pm »
I have 50m of that stuf :D (I went a little silly on the last club order)

Admitedly I do use it purely because everyone else does though - I've heard some of the other colors make the string slightly different - I find the yellow string a little too slipery for finesse wide axels when you first put it on (but degrades very quickly), however it doesnt tend to break for ages (at least not with carbon sticks - it used to break all the time with my ally sticks)

Has anyone tried / compared the different colors? Im thinking of ordering some random colors just to try them out and compare them (I have 2 identical sets of carbon handsticks - at the moment I just use them to have different lengths of string on them).
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2005, 03:37:07 pm »
Quote from: kragen
Has anyone tried / compared the different colors?

Everything (or at least a little bit) that you ever wanted to know about that question can be found here:
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=12

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2005, 08:46:49 pm »
same comment that norbi had about the string, it's pretty common now i suppose, but im still glad to have some :D

isaac

Wher to buy Henry's yellow string
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2005, 10:18:59 pm »
Well, i started a month ago, and this comes a little late, but jugglingstore.com seems to carry the stuff.

kragen

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2005, 01:38:36 am »
hmm, I have a little under 50m of the stuf... but its the only string I've ever used (apart from the string that ships with the carbon sticks, that didnt last long though).

Is there any real reason why I might want to try any other string?
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2005, 01:47:39 am »
just to see if you like it, i suppose. i like this string better than anything else i've ever tried. currently my frayed, dirty, and old henry's yellow is pretty much equivalent to the brand new henry's white or the other soft green crap i 've had. and comparing broken in henry's to any other string? no contest.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2005, 07:12:14 am »
Quote from: kragen
Is there any real reason why I might want to try any other string?

Babache white or yellow (and possibly the pink) may be worth a try. I have a roll of the Babache white. It's nice stuff - a little wider and with more grip than Henrys yellow. It doesn't last nearly as long but it is perfect right from the beginning. For those that like a less slippery feel it's worth a try (and currently "endorsed" by many of MFP ;) )

The Babache yellow is nearly identical to the Henrys yellow, as far as I know. It's also easier to find and cheaper to buy for me, and other Canadians, at this point.

I'll also mention that I now have 50 meters (well, more like 45 by this point) of the henrys yellow as well as 25 of the babache white. Life is good again. :)

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2005, 06:21:26 pm »
Where did you finally get the Henry's yellow, Sean?  I desperately need string.

Julian

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2005, 09:15:53 pm »
Julian, I ordered the henrys yellow from Firetoys in the UK. That was before I discovered that Goudurix (Quebec, Canada) carries the Babache string under the name "performance" string. You might want to try the Babache yellow instead since it will be significantly cheaper.