Author Topic: Finesse weight kits (evolution kit 3)  (Read 10956 times)

seán_

Finesse weight kits (evolution kit 3)
« on: December 03, 2004, 02:21:36 am »
Having threadjacked Matt Halls thread Henrys Yellow String Emergency I thought I should start a fresh one.

The finesse diabolo is a great diabolo, one of its selling points is the Evoloution Kits, Evo 1 - finger axle, Evo 2 - bearing kit (still to be releaesed), Evo 3 - weight kits 6g and 10g, Evo 4 - LED light kit.

I usually use Henrys circus and quite like the weight, Evo 3 should make the finesse a bit heavier and hopefully add to the diabolos conservation of momentum (keep it spinning)

What I dont know is

Is the weight quoted per pair or per side?

There doese not seem to be much difference in weight compared to the overall diabolo, do these weights make much difference?

Can / should the weights be stacked?

Why might I want 10g over 6g and vice versa? (I'm thinking 10g BTW.)

Of those who have used them, what are your thoughts?

Who the hell stocks them? (see also Henrys Yellow String Emergency )

Seán_

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 02:31:55 am »
Way to threadjack, accuse yourself of threadjacking, and then mod yourself, Seàn! :)

I think, and I might be wrong, that the weights are quoted per side. I tried them out when I was at the Toulouse festival this summer. Yes, I do believe they can be stacked if you'd like. You can stack them until the screw doesn't fit... and then you can buy longer screws if you have to. The vendor there (I have no idea who that was) had a bunch of them - and they were really new then! Maybe JiBe would know who the vendor was since he was an organizer of the festival.

I asked Vux, he was using the 6 gram ones and said he liked them a lot and that he found the 10 gram ones too heavy. But really, it's all personal taste. Even with 10 grams per side you are still about 30 grams lighter than a Henrys (I think).

I have a set of homemade weight kits that I made long before the real ones came out because I used to use finesses all the time and I was tired of them getting blown around outside. Mine are 8 grams per side if I remember correctly, and are made of Lexan, which is just a hard clear plastic, the same material that Nalgene bottles are made out of. I'll try and post a picture of mine at some point for anyone interested.

I think if I was going to use Finesses as my main diabolos I would consider using weight kits. But really, I like Finesses because they are different from Henrys and their shape and weight offers advantages... so I'm quite happy with them being light.

[Edit - here are the pics]

Sean

Arjan

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 08:33:08 am »
Nice home made kits! I also like the finesses being light. Well, with 6g on it, I really feel te difference. It`s not so bad.

jimpneff

evolution 3 weight set for finesse?
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 05:20:43 pm »
Doe anyone know where these are available. I live in Buffalo, NY. Can't seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks Jim

seán_

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 06:12:49 pm »
The Bane of my life. I cant get them either. I think who ever stocks MB products should be able to order them for you. I have recently got some light kits that add some weight to finesse.

If all else fails you might be able to order from Babache or from a juggling shop abroad that carries them.

I'd help more but I'm off juggling :) . There are some more thoughts about them in another equipment thread with respect to making your own and which weight to go for etc.

Seán

JiBe

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 09:37:34 pm »
The vendor in Toulouse was "La Ribouldingue".

I may be able to bring some weight kit to Ieper, so if you've got freinds going there, they might pick it up. However, I do not have plenty, I just have a few that  I do not use.

JiBe

Martijn

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 09:35:42 am »
Hey JiBe, what's the price of the weight kits? And how heavy are the weights? Maybe, I want to buy these, if they aren't to expensive.
Thanks in advance :)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

seán_

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 01:52:45 am »
I finally got some, they were hidden on the firetoys site and I found them when searching the shop.

I got the 6g ones after hearing what Vux said through Sean. I like them and am glad I got some. I find that they make the diabolos feel closer to what I like. I know a lot of people are thinking about buying G2's when they come out, If you find them a touch light these might be worth looking into.

From the packaging.
Normal weight =247gr
with 2x6gr =259gr
with 2x10gr =267gr
with (2x 6gr)+(2x10gr) =279gr
with Evoloution 1 (large axle) =+10gr[/list:u]

I think the G2 is a touch heavier than the G1 and also I know the LED kit adds weight as well.

Seán

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 11:00:40 am »
I was always unsure of whether to choose between 2 Finesses or 2 Circuses, but with the release of the weight kits, I think I'll go for a Finesse.  I was always unsure because they were quite light, but I did like the Evo 1.  Now I'm certain, plus the light kits are much cheaper for the Finesse.

BTW, for UK individuals (or threesomes) http://www.butterfingers.co.uk are now selling the weight kits too.  Just follow the shopping / diabolos / Mr.Babache.  They retail at £3.95 a pack apparently.  Never bought any, so have no opinions, but the increase in weight is definately more interesting.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 05:05:50 pm »
Here we go resurrecting a year old thread, but...

I'm thinking of ordering some weight kits with some finesses and I figure more people will have had an opportunity to try the weights, more people read the forum now, and hence more people will have an opinion on the matter.

So, what are some of your preferences on the weight kits?

Who likes no weights?
Who likes 6 grams?
Who likes 10 grams?
Who likes to stack them?

Wish I had an opportunity to try them all, but alas I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere in juggling land as always!

Martijn

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 05:40:14 pm »
I like no weights or perhaps the light version (6 gr), but preferably without any kits.
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

seán_

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 06:05:42 pm »
I'm running 10g ones at the moment, They feel allright and your more likely to find others using them

Mattf has my 6g ones and I think I like them more even though the feel of them is more subtle I dont get the feel of a micro slip with them (if you get my drift)

Who likes no weights? thats ok
Who likes 6 grams? yup probably a good way to get used to weights
Who likes 10 grams? they do the job for me these days
Who likes to stack them? I used one with 20g once felt a bit like a harlequin, wouldnt want to run multiple diabs,

running 6s then doubliing up might be an option but I reckon you wouldn't go wrong going straight to 10's

Arjan

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 06:17:06 pm »
When I use the finesse diabolo, mostly with the 6gr weights on them. Sometimes wide axled or not, most times with weights.

fredo

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 10:54:05 pm »
I used to screw the 10gr into a normal finesse and the 6gr into those with wide axles. But now i don't play with anyones at all. I find it looks better 8) and is better for playing...

Disadvantages are the minor stability and shorter spinning(right word?)
I'm really considdering to put a wide axle or 6gr or 10gr back into my finesses.

The best way is to try them, but as you said, you've no opportunity. i ordered one 10gr and one with 6gr. Later I bought the counterparts. and I don't regret it... So I suggest, try it this way if the shipping costs aren't to high... And buy the ones you like later.

You've got the problem that you've to get three of the same type :P

Shawn Fumo

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 05:41:58 pm »
Hmm.. I wonder how much difference it makes for spin time+stability versus just overall weight? I know I've have drilled into my head through yo-yoing that rim-weight is the most effective weight for longer spinning while center weight can actually make it easier to tilt. But I know extra rim-weighting in diabolo is tricky because of flexibility issues.

Still, I wonder if some sort of extra rim weight could be devised? Like maybe some heavy but thin chain that was fixed to the inside of the cup?

Just a thought..
Shawn

DAMIEN

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 01:10:29 pm »
ive gotthe 6g weight on my finesse i like them but it doesnt worry me i would use any :D
GO HARD OR GO HOME DIABOLO FOREVER!
I LOVE 2 DIABOLO'S!

El Chinho

diabolo weight (fineese g2)
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2006, 02:38:22 pm »
i currently use a finesse g2 with one 6g attachment - however, the bloody thing keeps slowing down before the end of my sequences unless i pure batter the thing up to speed first.

what is the ideal weight for one of these sodding things to get the most spin out of it?

answers on a postcard, or preferably on the forum, as yer no gettin ma address, chavvies ...
right now, i see clearer than most,
i sit here continuing with this cheese on toast

i feel the pain of the third world famine, as we
count our blessings and keep damning

fredo

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2006, 02:46:50 pm »
Chatter about the weight kits is here and maybe this doesn't depend on the weight, but on you! :wink: That means the tricks you're doing, your style, the length of your sequences... More details please...The more solid you can do your combos, the less speed you'll need, e.g.due to less touches of the cups with the string concerning body combos...Or just the solidness of single tricks in a sequence, as I said...

Spooned

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2006, 03:13:12 pm »
More weight = longer to speed up but spin lasts longer
Less weight = easier to speed up but spin lasts less
Using only one weight per diab = major unbalance  :lol:
Diabolo or Diablo

El Chinho

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 02:03:43 pm »
one 6g attachment means one on each side. christ on horseback, give me some credit
right now, i see clearer than most,
i sit here continuing with this cheese on toast

i feel the pain of the third world famine, as we
count our blessings and keep damning