Author Topic: [WJF] Who ?  (Read 3631 times)

Priam

• VotW Contributor
[WJF] Who ?
« on: November 13, 2004, 09:25:39 am »
Hi guys.

At the WJF convention ( http://www.thewjf.com ), from dec 16 to 22 :
- who is going to be there ?
- who is going to compete in diabolo ?

The competitors I already know : Matt Hall, Ryo Yabe, then 5 of us (Baptiste, Eric, Antonin, Trash and me).

I think we miss competitors, so if you plan to be there (like Sean), please compete, at least for fun, and maybe more.

Priam

norbi

• VotW Contributor
[WJF] Who ?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 10:15:23 am »
I am going, and i am competing, not planning on doing to well but its a bit of fun and it will push to learn alot in the next 5 weeks.
 I'm also planning on entering the intermediate rings if anyone is interested. Again for the same reason
 See ya there Priam.

Donald the Trekky

[WJF] Who ?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 10:50:59 am »
I wish I could come Priam but my wallet told me "no way"  :lol: Anyway I'm not enough skilled  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Arjan

[WJF] Who ?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 12:26:21 pm »
I so wish I were there  :( But I don`t have time to travel to the U.S. If I had, I don`t know if I would compete in it.

Sean

• Administrator
Re: [WJF] Who ?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 04:02:39 pm »
Hey Priam (amazing to see on the forum - great to have you here! Je suis très heureux de vous voir ici, Priam!),

I'll be at the WJF, and I can't wait to meet all you guys again! I'm expecting you guys to inspire me right through to the EJC this summer. ;)

As for competing...  at this point they really want me to help with judging. Since Matt Hall is competing (and I know he's more than a little bit intimidated competing against you guys :) ) they want to have at least some judges that understand what's going on in the diabolo competition. It feels like a bit of a strange role for me to take on, but it was a hard opportunity to turn down.

I've been training daily with 3 diabolos high for the last 4 months. Hopefully I'll have some of the basic 3 diabolo siteswaps a bit more solid by the WJF and then you guys can show me the "real" stuff! ;)

Talk to you soon!
Sean

seán_

[WJF] Who ?
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 04:19:38 pm »
Quote from: norbi
I am going, and i am competing, not planning on doing to well but its a bit of fun and it will push to learn alot in the next 5 weeks.
 I'm also planning on entering the intermediate rings if anyone is interested. Again for the same reason
 See ya there Priam.

Don't let Jason Garfield hear you call it a bit of fun Norbi ;)

I'm not a big fan of juggling competitions in general but it would be nice to go there to see the standard of juggling that will be on show.
Thank God they haven't tried to have compulsory moves in the diabolo though!

(nice to see you here Priam BTW)

Seán

Sean

• Administrator
[WJF] Who ?
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 04:37:28 pm »
Quote from: seán_
Thank God they haven't tried to have compulsory moves in the diabolo though!

Oh they did at one point, I believe!  :roll:  Very glad that's not happening. It's going to be 3 minutes of freestyle - anything goes. Best format I think.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
[WJF] Who ?
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 06:03:31 pm »
I didnt notice before, but Trash is competing. I knew about everyone else except him, is this a recent addition?
Looking forward to that, should be a great comp.

Matt

• VotW Contributor
WJF-Who?
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 11:59:56 pm »
The WJF Diabolo format has been slightly changed:

It's going to be 4 minutes of freestyle diabolo--no limit (You can do just 1 diabolo, or just 2 or just 3 or a mix, etc...).

After talking with the MFP and with Jason, we hit upon the compromise of 4 minutes.  5 minutes would have been better, given the amount of time used to accelerate 2 diabolos, but time constraints (ESPN filming schedule, etc..) left us with 4 minutes.  It's better than 3 minutes, but you probably don't want to drop at all or you'll run out of time.  

I'm stoked on the whole thing and I don't care if I don't even make it out of prelims.  I haven't seen the MFP since Svendborg and Priam is going to crash at my place a week before the festival and then we're driving to Vegas together.  

My cup runneth over...
Many Thanks to Sean for all his work and inspiration.  Respect to the MFP!

norbi

• VotW Contributor
[WJF] Who ?
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 10:22:05 am »
That sounds nicer, i much prefere doing a bit of everything, becuase having a different comp for each amount (well 1 and 2+) doesnt really show a good all round diabolist, and for those that work on everything instead of specializing in one area. Although my tracks are only 3 minutes long, i'm sure i can change that though.
thanx for the update.