Author Topic: British Young Juggler of the Year 2006  (Read 15184 times)

norbi

• VotW Contributor
British Young Juggler of the Year 2006
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 08:03:38 pm »
Ok, that makes sense. I misunderstood the judges taking age into consideration.

To the best trick comp... Do we have an allotted amount of time, or tries? Or just get up, try something and get off?

Marc

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 08:06:07 pm »
I will be entering if I can go. At the moment we are looking for a place to stay but it is looking promising. I will be doing a 1 and 2 diabolo routine (not good enough for 3 yet) :D . Hope to see you all down there

Luke Burrage

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 08:27:20 pm »
Quote from: norbi
Ok, that makes sense. I misunderstood the judges taking age into consideration.

To the best trick comp... Do we have an allotted amount of time, or tries? Or just get up, try something and get off?

And like I said, they will consider what the juggler actually does more than their age.

As for the best trick... not exactly sure how this will work just yet. The only other best trick competition I've seen that I've been impressed with was a Xgames vert skateboard comp.

The idea is that the timer is set for 20 minutes, and the skaters take turns at showing a trick. If they pull off a trick it goes, with their name, on the paper. They can then try for a harder trick... up to as many cool tricks as they want. Each takes as many turns as will fit, one after another, into the 20 minutes. It always starts off relaxed but by the end the skaters are always bumping into each other getting as many tries as possible in by the end.

How this would transfer to juggling: a time limit will be set for each trick. With skating each trick is over after just two "walls", or maybe 10-15 seconds. So a juggling trick will have to fit into 10 seconds, which I'm sure is long enough for any trick (that isn't a huge long pattern). Also, as soon as a juggler drops it is the next juggler's turn so it is the first juggler's responsibility to get out of the way...

Maybe if a trick takes a bit more setup (like 3 diabolo pirouette) the juggler could either set up during the previous juggler's turn... or if they take too long (over 20 seconds) they miss their next turn. Not sure.

Say 10 jugglers enter and it lasts 15 minutes, which should give enough time to count the votes and let the judges decide on winners and awards. At an average of 5 trick attempts per minute... gives each juggler about 7 or 8 attempts at a trick, maybe more. They could spend every attempt to get one really mean trick, or go for 2 or 3 more solid, yet still pretty cool tricks.

The winner will be decided by the competitors themselves by some kind of show of hands... and if there is any tie or disagreement I, as the host, will flex my dictatorial muscles and have the final say.

The prize will (hopefully) be some amount of cash. I have a few ideas how this will be raised, but for now those are still in the planning stages too, and the final ammount could be anywhere from 20 - 50 pounds.

Should be quite exciting!
Luke

Llama_Bill

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 09:39:34 pm »
Quote from: guppygould
Our school probably wouldn't be the best venue maybe Some one could sweet talk our headteacher for next year but until then there will only be the E.Port convention at our school.

I'd run BJC at our school and I'm sure Mr Lee would let us after seeing the scale of it.  For now I'll just travel to Cornwall,  if you do come Leo I have tent space.   Our school is "tiny" after looking at the halls for BJC and EJC this year.  It'll be a few years before I enter BYJOTY.

Bill.
Bill.

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2006, 03:29:52 pm »
Whoa, I'm still a maybe and a sketchy maybe at that. I'm not even sure I can make it. It would be a good experience and i will probably at least try to come to BJC even if i don't enter the compeition.

I will think some more.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

chris_cabry

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2006, 04:52:39 pm »
All sounds good at the moment for me entering.
So you can count me in unless i tell you lot otherwise.
i will be doing a juggling routine although i still have to make it.
Two cups and an axle!!
2cupsandanaxle@gmail.com

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2006, 08:27:53 pm »
ah go on go on go on go on go on.... Pete! Will ya

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2006, 04:50:12 pm »
Thanks for the offer Bill I will see what I have in the way of revision and money but it isn't looking good an 8 hour train journey isn't my idea of fun.
Behind your back is your front.

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2006, 06:14:25 pm »
I don't think its anybodies idea of fun, but sayings its not worth 5 great convention days and a chance to enter the BYJOTY is obviously ridiculous!  :shock:

Llama_Bill

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2006, 08:02:04 pm »
It's only a few hours.  I went on The Mega bus to London to meet a few yo-yoers for about 6 hours.  I had to leave at 06:00 and got back at 24:00 with a 10 hour round trip but it was work it.  What exams are on then?

Bill.
Bill.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2006, 09:41:59 am »
I know it would be worth it to go for 5 days and watch BYJOTY but I have exams (modular year 10 exams  :( ) and stuff and there is no way I'm getting a train to Cornwall.

Llama_Bill

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2006, 12:53:51 pm »
It will be worth it. 5 hours for 5 days is a steal, I may be geting the train but still you should come.  Are you banned from Port Pirates for ever now or just as a short time scale thing?

Bill.
Bill.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2006, 07:07:49 pm »
Quote from: guppygould
...and there is no way I'm getting a train to Cornwall...

Hey, i took the time to go up to your part of the country, now come down here!

Just be thankful you dont live here and have to travel to Scotland soon  :(

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2006, 07:23:50 pm »
You were payed to come to E.Port Norbi. My £120 financial situation isn't good as I want to get 3 diabigs soon.

Bill I can't go as Mr Lee has it in for me so I just have to keep a low profile. I'm just juggling more at home. Braveing the cold :wink:

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2006, 07:37:05 pm »
You do make a good argument. BUT, it has only cost me £20 to get from Exeter to Glasgow, that's 7 hours! So i think you could get a similar price from EP to Bodmin.

Diabigs shouldnt come to £100. So you'll be fine.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2006, 07:39:48 pm »
I am going to say maybe but probably not as this thread is turning into a 'Leo you should go to BJC' thread. Pm me or msn me if you still think I need a shouting at. :wink:

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2006, 07:42:34 pm »
Well, the more the merrier.

It's also a 'convince everyone-who-is-being-a-loser to come' thread

Llama_Bill

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2006, 08:18:16 pm »
Quote from: norbi
it has only cost me £20 to get from Exeter to Glasgow

Where did you get your ticket from? That sound super cheap.

Bill.
Bill.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2006, 08:29:06 pm »
Phone up National rail (08457 48 49 50) and give your details, then ask for the cheapest possible fair (mine was 2 singles, as it was cheaper than the return)
It may or may not be available at the time, you might have missed the cheap tickets, or they may not be on sale yet. 6 weeks before is usually a good bet.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but booking cheap tickets is an art. For example, it's going to cost me £5 to get to BJC  :wink:

Llama_Bill

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2006, 08:31:55 pm »
Wow, you are good.  So all you usually do is phone up National Rail and ask for the cheapest option possible.  Usually 6 weeks before hand.  I'll have to try that from now on.
Bill.