Author Topic: only diaboloing festival/competition exist ?  (Read 3283 times)

bok_sk

only diaboloing festival/competition exist ?
« on: January 22, 2006, 02:43:50 pm »
"only" means excluding other juggling play.

yoyo has yoyo festival.

diaboloing , at WJF, is one part of juggling competitions.

Are there any possibility in the near future that
festivals/copmetitions only for diaboloists ?

and i'm also curious why diaboloing has a little bit ambiguous position
in juggling society.

Bok.
Bok

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 05:15:25 pm »
why would they make something only for diabolo? how many things do you see for balls ONLY or clubs ONLY or something like that?

that's why you just make a juggling in general fest, that brings more people. besides, a lot of people like to do multiple props. this is a diabolo forum, yes, but check out the "introduction" thread, a lot of people use a lot of other props too.

Martijn

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 06:05:51 pm »
The main prop of the diabolo-day in Mechelen was diabolo, but I prefer multi-prop (:roll:) conventions much and much more! :)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

GbH

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 07:28:40 pm »
A few years back, Circus Space (London...) hosted diabolo-only conventions, so it's hardly a new concept.  As an idea, it can certainly work quite well.  What's more, there are lots of yo-yo specific events that take place around the world, which isn't really so different either.

However, if you were organising an event yourself (i.e. you've spent money on a venue and need to recoup it...), it's much more likely that you'll be wanting to attract as wide an audience as possible.

bok_sk

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 09:44:25 pm »
Quote from: Matt_
why would they make something only for diabolo? how many things do you see for balls ONLY or clubs ONLY or something like that?

that's why you just make a juggling in general fest, that brings more people. besides, a lot of people like to do multiple props. this is a diabolo forum, yes, but check out the "introduction" thread, a lot of people use a lot of other props too.

Personally i juggle balls and clubs much more than diabolo.
Anyway,
Often i ask to myself, "should diabolo be in the category of juggling?"

Apart from other jugglings, diaboloing has its own identity i think.
My post above is written from that viewpoint.
Bok

frank0072

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 07:20:37 am »
I don't think there should be diabolo-only-festivals/conventions. I have never been to a juggle-meeting or anything, so I only out of theory and common sense.
The great thing about those gatherings is that you get a wider view, and are not only focussed on your own prop. You can get new interrests and learn new things. You can get inspired by juggle-moves wich are also appliable (is that a word?) on diabolo etc.
I do think diabolo is a form of juggling by the way, you manipulate the diabolo to do things that are against the laws of nature. Not that I know the exact defenition of juggling, but I think diabolo applies to it to.
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Arjan

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 12:04:28 pm »
Quote from: frank0072

I do think diabolo is a form of juggling by the way, you manipulate the diabolo to do things that are against the laws of nature.

Then what stuff is against nature? I don`t think you can do anything against the laws of nature...

But festivals and competitions maybe also should be multi-juggling, not only diabolo. Why? because it`s a circus toy wich has totallu integrated in the juggle seen, and has become populair lately.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 12:54:04 pm »
Diabolo has really moved itself up the ranks of juggling props.  I would hazard a guess that it's probably the third most used prop at conventions (non-hippy related) behind balls and clubs (sorry Norbs).  As an organiser, with things like diabolos, I don't think you could put on a cost covering convention (since we're all kinda spread out and occasionally apathetic at travelling).  Some conventions are heavily diabolo biased though like Mechelan or Bordeux it seemed.

But if yoyo can do it, why not...

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

frank0072

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 06:57:25 pm »
Quote from: Arjan
Quote from: frank0072

I do think diabolo is a form of juggling by the way, you manipulate the diabolo to do things that are against the laws of nature.

Then what stuff is against nature? I don`t think you can do anything against the laws of nature...

But festivals and competitions maybe also should be multi-juggling, not only diabolo. Why? because it`s a circus toy wich has totallu integrated in the juggle seen, and has become populair lately.

no, I didn't mean what I said (why did I say it then...). Diabolo appears to act in a way people don't understand (like a string-climb) when they are rookies. But nothing can beat the force of nature. (well, there is something, but I am not allowed to speak about that here. )
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

bok_sk

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 01:19:37 am »
Quote from: Chiok
Diabolo has really moved itself up the ranks of juggling props.  I would hazard a guess that it's probably the third most used prop at conventions (non-hippy related) behind balls and clubs (sorry Norbs).  

Chiok

i guess in a country whose juggling culture is not so long, diabolo might
be the first/most.
for instance, in Korea ( i live here) juggling history is very short.
and even before the word "juggling" were known to the public,
diaboloing was introduced by media.

since about 2~3 years ago, people (mainly age 13 ~ 20) started juggling.
(very few had been juggling before than that though)
the first and the most loved prop is diabolo.
so in a country like Korea, as of now the first /most prop is diabolo,
that'll maybe happen to other countries i think.

Bok.
Bok