Author Topic: Making your own sticks  (Read 25456 times)

Punkerpanda

Making your own sticks
« on: January 03, 2005, 03:37:54 am »
i'm thinking about making my own aluminium sticks, and i was wonder how easy the henry ones bend? cause my friend thinks that the hollow rod would not be sturdy enough if infinite suicides hit the floor.

seán_

Making your own sticks
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 02:14:05 pm »
Quote from: Punkerpanda
i'm thinking about making my own aluminium sticks, and i was wonder how easy the henry ones bend? cause my friend thinks that the hollow rod would not be sturdy enough if infinite suicides hit the floor.

The Henrys ally sticks are solid bar with a hole in the side near one end to feed the string through. Piccy

The old (and the new I believe) MB ally sticks were hollow. I think unless you use really thin walled ally it shouldn't be a problem.

On a side note, I am yet to break a handstick, some people seem to be harder on them than others.

Chiok

• Donator
Making your own sticks
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 10:34:41 pm »
I've been trying to make some alu handsticks from like Henrys' ones from 8mm aluminium, but I can't think of what to use for the handle?  The compressed foam doesn't seem to be something that you find much of elsewhere really, and not in useful tubular form anyway.

I'm trying to stay away from tennis grip or hockey tape and the such as it wears and gets sticky not soon after.  I tried to read Trash's article on his old site about how he makes his sticks, but the translation isn't too good unfortunately (bad babelfish...)  Any clues please?

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Mattias

Making your own sticks
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 12:02:26 am »
Is it possible to slip off the silicon layer from a devilstick-stick and thread it on the aluminium? Heh, although I dont know if silicon makes a good grip but devilstickers dont seem to mind.
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Yoda

Making your own sticks
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 02:19:52 pm »
Quote from: xfirebladex
I've been trying to make some alu handsticks from like Henrys' ones from 8mm aluminium, but I can't think of what to use for the handle?  The compressed foam doesn't seem to be something that you find much of elsewhere really, and not in useful tubular form anyway.

I'm trying to stay away from tennis grip or hockey tape and the such as it wears and gets sticky not soon after.  I tried to read Trash's article on his old site about how he makes his sticks, but the translation isn't too good unfortunately (bad babelfish...)  Any clues please?

Chiok

I used EVA, I don't know if it is called this way in english, like a foam, kids use a lot for stuff at school, it is sold at stationery store (Google translation =], like paper shops, where they sell pens and paper stuff), I put 2 layers and put eletrical tape around it to have a "rubber" grip

[]s
Lucas Machado

Chiok

• Donator
Making your own sticks
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 03:22:33 pm »
I think I know what you mean come to think of it.  Kind of foam that comes in a sheet.  Would require wrapping round the stick, worth a go though I guess.  The silicone from devilstick handsticks is an idea too.  Would need doubling over because they have a larger diameter.  Wish I had some now.  Though I've only done one handstick as I broke all my small diameter drill bits trying to make the other one.  And I've burnt my flapjacks, it's going terribly...

Chiok

Chiok

• Donator
Making your own sticks
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 11:31:58 pm »
Like the list says, Jacs products are in Essex, but I don't suggest you buy a diabolo from them.  Lots of places in London if you wanna take the trip.  But most places are mail order so you can get whatever you want.  
If you look at the start of this topic, you'll find all the info you should need.  It's alot to read through, but with the moderator team keeping it all tidy, it makes the task more manageable.  You won't go wrong if you get a Circus of a Finesse G2.

On a different note, I managed to put a padded handle onto my aluminium stick.  It involved 6 sheets of A5 (or 3 A4 cut in half) wrapped around as tightly as possible and secured with tape.  Then a layer of the foam craft sheet was added on the top and stuck with some hockey stick tape and then the top and bottom were finished off with some white electrical tape to lock everything in.  Worked quite well  :D  

Chiok

Jonnyh

Making your own sticks
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 12:33:10 am »
Heheh.

I love my Henry's Aluminium sticks apart from one thing. They bend! So I am contemplating taking them to some modifications. This will entail replacing the aluminium with titanium. That would be ideal...

Jonnyh

Making your own sticks
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 07:13:21 pm »
yeah, thats the only thing thats stopped me from doing it so far...

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
Making your own sticks
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 08:40:34 pm »
How about another metal? Like iron or copper or steel, replacing the aluminum. Or are there some wierd sideeffects to those metals, like more scratchable, more rustable and stuff like that?
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Chiok

• Donator
Making your own sticks
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 11:15:05 pm »
Quote from: Dracodragon
How about another metal? Like iron or copper or steel, replacing the aluminum. Or are there some wierd sideeffects to those metals, like more scratchable, more rustable and stuff like that?
Unfortunately aluminium is chosen because of it's good weight to stiffness ratio.  Steel although 3 times stronger is also 3 times heavier, and a heavy stick doesn't help the motions at all (which I thought was strange.)  I was gonna make my sticks out of steel just because it was easier to get, but doing the maths meant the stick would weigh about 130g, which is heavier than some diabolos  :?

Titanium is only slightly heavier than aluminium (0.16lb/in3?) but harder to find and machine, though would be the perfect material if you could get it.  It is the super metal after all.  Copper is unfortunately a bit on the bendy side and iron, like steel is just too heavy.  I think this is why Henrys went the way of carbon fibre and fibreglass as it's a natural progression to move away from metal to composite materials for weight and strength.  Just unfortunate they either bend too much or break to easily.  Maybe some polycarbonate bar?  Or maybe just some better wood like spruce which has an amazing weight to stiffness ratio (better than titanium and Uni-directional carbon fibre) but with the features of an aluminium stick.  Anyone good at some woodwork?

Chiok
(Americans spell "aluminium" differently...)

Jonnyh

Making your own sticks
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 12:31:51 am »
I think I'll opt for magnesium...  :P

seán_

Making your own sticks
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 12:41:45 am »
Composites.

I think I have mentioned this before but there was a guy at the BJC with sticks made from arrow shafts, hollow ally tubes (I believe) wrapped in carbonfibre, Good strength, good weight, stiff etc etc.

Chiok

• Donator
Making your own sticks
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 08:46:45 pm »
These are some sticks that I've just made at work today, because it was very very slow.  But the one good thing about work is that it has just the tools required to make these;

They're made from 8mm aluminium 1mm wall tubing.  The tips are 10mm aluminium drilled and threaded appropriately so they are removable.  The handles are rolled up paper with a foam outer and white tape.  They're similar to the MB Xtreme but I've made the tips just a lil wider in diameter so there is a bit of a lip which helps with trapezes and other tricks that need to hold the string.  

I'm gonna see about using 8mm solid aluminium bar instead to see if it's worth the extra weight and if it's any stronger.  I bought the aluminium from B&Q for £3 and £2 for a metre of each material.  So you can get 3 handsticks for £2 and about 40+ tips.

Are there any improvements people can think of that could be made?  I'm thinking of making them a bit longer than 325mm because they're not easy to do Trash's web which is a favourite trick of mine.  Also wondering if making it possible to add variable weight to the end of the handstick to people's preference.  I'll try and weigh them soon, and also if I can get a better handle, maybe some clear silicone.

Maybe I can get some professionals to use my sticks... :wink: ?

Chiok

jakethecakebhs

Making your own sticks
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 06:21:13 am »
kool looking sticks should make more and  sell them  :lol:  *nudge nudge*

sorry but  u probably dont care bbut i just ordered 2 new finnesse  g2's
a little about me::  im 13 and have had a diabolo for less then a year. I have just accomplished or been able to juggle 4 balls and working towards 5 balls.I really need help with getting into the trick excalibur

Matt_

• Donator
Making your own sticks
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 07:30:50 am »
those sticks look cool, i'd buy a set at the right price :)

how are they as far as bend resistance? the henry's alum sticks bend like rubber, whereas the mb Xtreme sticks are pretty stiff.

Chiok

• Donator
Making your own sticks
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 12:59:33 pm »
They're not doing too bad in the bend department.  I was out last night and they took some hard hits from missed minigs and they seem fine.  I'm gonna have to make some modifications to the design though which should hopefully keep the tips on from vibrating loose (was gonna loctite them, but then you'd never get them off again.)  Also because they're not particularly long, they'll need more force to bend them.  Think I might add some weight to them.

I'd estimate they cost about a fiver in materials.  Still in prototype stage though.  I might try with solid 8mm bar instead of tube and see what happens.  That's the difference between Henrys and MB Xtreme.

Chiok

Sambo

Stick prototypes
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 03:39:35 pm »
I'm currently trying to design and make some new sticks (possibly to be sold when we finally set up the ponte juggling website) and I'm looking for some ideas for the end tips. I'm using 10mm iron tube with an 8mm inside diameter for the sticks, which will be both short and heavy. I just need some suggestions for making end tips (it's becoming a dilemma for me).

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Sambo

Spooned

Re: Stick prototypes
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 04:09:35 pm »
Quote from: Sambo
I'm currently trying to design and make some new sticks (possibly to be sold when we finally set up the ponte juggling website) and I'm looking for some ideas for the end tips. I'm using 10mm iron tube with an 8mm inside diameter for the sticks, which will be both short and heavy.

Iron? You sure about that, its gonna rust unless you can keep in it prestine condition. As for the tips you could use titanium if you can afford it  :)
Diabolo or Diablo

Sambo

Making your own sticks
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 04:19:07 pm »
Can't afford that stuff. I'll probably be coating the end products in some sort of paint. I don't really know yet, I just got bored the other day and decided to make some heavy sticks.