Author Topic: Making your own sticks  (Read 25745 times)

Martijn

Making your own sticks
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 04:26:38 pm »
Teflon/POM end tips please! (if possible)
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

fredo

Making your own sticks
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 04:33:35 pm »
Does anybody know how Vux makes his tips? And Chiok, the thing where you put the tip onto( don't know the right word), what did you make it of? (or should that "of" be at before the what?)

Chiok

• Donator
Making your own sticks
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 04:47:56 pm »
Hey hey, my speciality.

Iron eh?  That's hard enough to get in it's normal state almost as much as titanium!  Steel more likely.  And yep, if it's not stainless, it'll rust unless treated with zinc plating or nitroteching.  What suggestions are you looking for specifically?

My sticks currently are solid 8mm aluminium bar with one screw-on 10mm aluminium tip with nylon cap and one screw-on 10mm nylon tip (that's my right hand).  Both would be nylon but I never got round to making the other one.  It just screws onto a threaded portion of the stick with a small O-ring to keep it tight so no snapping tips  :wink: .

I have plans for a more streamlined pair, but I've been so busy at work, that I've not been able to proto a pair.  And I'm using nylon because PTFE isn't rigid enough on such small wall thicknesses.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

fredo

Making your own sticks
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 05:17:28 pm »
But how did you make it with your tube sticks? And some fotos please! :P

Chiok

• Donator
Making your own sticks
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 05:28:53 pm »
No photos I'm afraid, my rubbish camera doesn't have a macro function, so no closeups.

As for the tube version, the aluminium tube I had was just under 6mm internal diameter so there was just enough wall thickness to put an M8x1.0mm thread on there as is which screwed into the 10mm tip.  I wouldn't suggest it though, at the beach last year, the insufficient wall thickness meant the tip sheared off at the thread of the stick when doing vertax.  It's too flimsy unfortunately which is why I've changed for mostly solid bar.

Chiok

Jakob

Making your own sticks
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2006, 10:45:15 pm »
Quote from: Martijn
Teflon/POM end tips please! (if possible)

I'm currently waiting for a set of Prototype teflon sticks, I don't know when I will have them but I shall review them when I get them;)
//Jakob

jimmytheface

Making your own sticks
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2006, 07:33:54 pm »
thay should be good and i cant wait for the site for the ponti club shold be good
im gonna learn 2 jazz.... i bet mr T is going to say something about this.

mango

Making your own sticks
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2006, 01:33:13 am »
anyone knows how to make Baptise's carbon handsticks? Sean told me he uses them.

gasofin44

Making your own sticks
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2006, 12:39:40 pm »
I have posted a tutorial for making your own alu sticks. It´s in spanish, but has good photos, so you can understand the main process.
Any way, i´ll answer any question.
The end of the stick is the main point, it´s made by nylon. All the process is dedicated to this piece and how to fix it into the stick. Any measures are possible. I hope this tutorial helps diabolers who like handmade sticks.
The tutorial is here (there are 10 messages before, go down): http://www.circoforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=2656&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

frank0072

Making your own sticks
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2006, 02:51:46 pm »
@ gasofin44: that looks so nice! Would you bother translate it into english and share your knowledge with the whole world :)?
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

gasofin44

Making your own sticks
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2006, 03:32:14 pm »
it´s gonna take time for me because my english it´s poor for explanations like this. I  will do it but chill.

tommi

• VotW Contributor
Making your own sticks
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2006, 02:24:45 pm »
So, I broke may MB sticks and had useless pair of wooden henry's. I got this idea of attaching the tips from the Babache sticks to the wooden ones. This was actually quite easy to do. Hardest part was to get the broken part of the energy sticks out of the metal part.

But here is my new Henry's/MB sticks:

frank0072

Making your own sticks
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2006, 02:36:20 pm »
looking good :), but will break probably even easier then the alu sticks you've already broken.
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Martijn

Making your own sticks
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2006, 02:36:21 pm »
Sweet! :D new and old skool combined! :P

Quote from: tommi
Hardest part was to get the broken part of the energy sticks out of the metal part.

Tell me, how did you do it?
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

Monregi

• VotW Contributor
Making your own sticks
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2006, 05:06:28 pm »
i found that very hard too, but the dremel did a good job.

tommi

• VotW Contributor
Making your own sticks
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2006, 06:24:48 pm »
Quote from: Martijn

Quote from: tommi
Hardest part was to get the broken part of the energy sticks out of the metal part.

Tell me, how did you do it?

Well I actually sawed little ring of metal from the tip so I could get hold of the   plastic (or what ever the sticks are made of) inside the tip, and I just twisted it out.

apache

Making your own sticks
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2006, 06:29:54 pm »
how much time did you put in these sticks? :?:  :)

tommi

• VotW Contributor
Making your own sticks
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2006, 06:35:30 pm »
Something like 30 minutes to one hour.

Chiok

• Donator
Making your own sticks
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2006, 10:25:33 pm »
Quote from: frank0072
looking good :), but will break probably even easier then the alu sticks you've already broken.
You're probably not far off unfortunately.  Still, novel idea, good on you for trying.

If people are having trouble getting the plastic bit out of a MB tip, might I suggest something that might work?

If you can make a groove in the plastic large enough to stick a flat head screwdriver in, you should be able to unscrew it out.  You could make a groove with a knife or a chisel or even heating up the screwdriver and melting a slot into the plastic.  I don't own MB sticks or have tried this, but I imagine it might work.

Alternatively, drill a hole into the plastic, screw a screw into it nice and tight and see if you can unscrew it that way.

Chiok

fredo

Making your own sticks
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2006, 01:37:50 pm »
Just drill into it and scratch the rest out with a flat head screwdriver...

but will try what chiok suggested next time...