Author Topic: titanium handsticks ?  (Read 10125 times)

Chiok

• Donator
titanium handsticks ?
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 11:19:47 am »
That's a good idea.  If you just had a Ti tube, you'd reduce alot of the weight.  However, I think the idea would be to have the screw on tip of the handstick made from Titanium too (to withstand the nicks and such from the ground) and you wouldn't want that to screw into an aluminium thread.  The titanium could shear the threads right off of the aluminium insert.  And joining two different metals together is going to be tricky with anything other than a "glue".  

But I guess if you want to use tube (which you will) then it's the only way.  Oh and for the record, cutting most alloys of titanium is no harder than cutting a high carbon steel.  Just take it slowly with a fast feed rate and lots of coolant to stop the heating of the tools.  New style tool bits for lathe tools are strong enough to take it.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

kyo

titanium handsticks ?
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2006, 02:19:59 am »
The idea is amusing, and would be cool..

Most of these points have already been covered, but I thought I'd toss in a couple comments myself..

You could get Ti tubing, but finding it in the size you need isn't as easy. It's almost 2x the weight of aluminum, so you would need small diameter with thin walls. It would quite strong, but somewhat impractical.

The cost of making them would be minimal.. as there isn't a whole lot to cut or machine. You're basically taking the tubing, adding a handle and string, and rounding out edges.. not too tough.

So yea, if you can find the materials.. not too insanely difficult to do, and while more expensive than say carbon sticks, not too ungodly expensive.

Now making titanium yoyo's.. that's tough. (my current project heh)

Kyle