Author Topic: Birmingham Students JC Sat 18th Feb  (Read 2990 times)

The Void

Birmingham Students JC Sat 18th Feb
« on: February 16, 2006, 03:38:31 pm »
http://www.jugglingdb.com/events/index.php?id=805

If you want to pre-reg for the BJC, then bring your cheque book or cash and you can save yourself all that tedious trouble of dealing with envelopes and getting to a postbox.

The Void
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

eggy900

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 06:35:26 pm »
how far away is it from birmingham new street? i might pop down on the train

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 06:56:58 pm »
I don't know about New St, but it's less than a mile from Selly Oak station.  Maybe 10 minutes walk.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 04:07:16 pm »
Actually, I've just decided to turn up for the first half or so of the convention.  So I've looked at a map and can tell you it's this close.

BlueNovember

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 01:48:12 am »
Twas a pretty good convention.
Any news on the videos of the shows that were recorded? =)

The Void

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 11:27:30 am »
Quote from: BlueNovember
Twas a pretty good convention.
Any news on the videos of the shows that were recorded? =)

No it wasn't, it was complete pants. Games that went on shambolically forever, a complete car-crash of a renegade with a bloody awful compère, and a main show that consisted of four acts, one of which was a last-minute fill in, and had been in the same show for the last 3 years, and two of which had their music royally ****ed up by the same pathetic drunkard renegade compère.

Good bits - seeing a bunch of my mates, and having a good juggling session. Adrian (young lad doing nice 3 club work) in the renegade (the *only* good act in there), and Gizmo managing to be a more than competent compère for the main show, and making things have some vague semblance of professionalism.

I videod the main show, but I don't put routines online without the permission of the performers, so I doubt any of it will appear, to be honest. Tempei's had better runs anyway. :-)

The Void
Not as grumpy as I sound. (well, sometimes...)
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

john_s

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 02:34:54 pm »
i enjoyed it, although i did leave at 5pm before the games and whatnot started. learned some ridiculous string tricks from nick, met tempei and had a go on his yohos, and noticed that your fan is coming along nicely, void.

only a couple of weeks until najc - isn't convention season great?

/john

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 03:31:47 pm »
Quote from: The Void
No it wasn't, it was complete pants.

I'll agree it wasn't as good as in previous years, but I still had a good time. There did seem to be a lack of organisation from the local committee. As for the games, yeah, rubbish. Then again, I've never understood convention games. A couple of rounds of combat is enough, anything else just eats up the juggling time. It sounds like I made the right choice by not sticking around for the show, but it is a shame I missed Tempei's routine.

A disappointing turn out from the forum members and diabolo players in general, but it was good to see Tempei and John "The Rocket O'Sullivan" again. John - How are you getting on with those tricks?

High:- Had some decent fans, a trick that had been driving me nuts; Saw some familiar faces that I hadn't seen for a while; Tried some cigar boxes for the first time, and enjoyed it.
Low:- Games; Low turn out; Still can't do anti-suicides.
Bane:- Music, a whole day's convention with only two CDs being played. I spent the first half of the day with Queen's "Greatest Hits" on loop and then had Blur repeating all afternoon. Then on the drive home my car stereo would only pick up Judge Jules clubland anthems for an hour and a half. Horrible.
Goal:- Anti-suicides; Get some boxes.

Hopefully the Birmingham Convention in May will be better (and better attended).

Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

The Void

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 06:25:14 pm »
Cheers, john. Dave P gave me some tips at Fundango last week, and it has helped.
Nick, it was "A night at the opera".

And a few pics from recent conventions are here

The Void
Tashivation and skyscrimbling forever!

BlueNovember

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 06:01:51 pm »
Heh ok ok, it was pretty awful. So much for tact. =)

I spent most of the time doing 4 club practise (much to the annoyance of everyone around me XD) so didn't really learn much diab stuff. The ball workshop was good though; soon Rubenstein's will be down. =)

The show was a real let-down, but only because of the drunkard clown guy. Routines were pretty decent, if not amazing. I want the vid to see how tempei does his first (failed) 2d start.

Bring on EJC. =)