Author Topic: Name of the diabolo tricks?  (Read 788 times)

Name of the diabolo tricks?
« on: March 17, 2019, 05:38:24 pm »
Hi.
who invented tricks like infinite sucide, mini genocide, genocide or integrals? Why that name? sound really bad..

Wis

Re: Name of the diabolo tricks?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 05:37:30 pm »
Are you looking for a single person? Maybe we can convince him/her (I tend to doubt a woman chose those words, but who knows) to change it to 'hug', 'kiss', and 'gentle interaction' :)
"The string...the inertia...the hours"

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 08:48:09 pm »
This is based on how I have understood it based on talks with people who have been playing diabolo for a lot longer than me. I can't promise that this is 100% correct but I hope it gives some perspective.

To understand this better one must go back in time to before the change of millenium. To release or drop a stick while playing diabolo used to be a mistake. All of the tricks would be such that you hold the sticks and did throws, over the arms, grinds etc. Stick relesing tricks just didn't exist. People used heavier sticks usually made from wood, with no soft handles or such. Now to do a stick release with this equipment and this time would be both wrong and would hurt you quite a bit. And I guess lot of people can still relate since the sticks still tend to hurt even if we have lighter sticks and soft handles. Catching stick right would hurt, catching stick wrong would hurt like hell. Explaining a trick where you do sun but release the other sticks would be world of pain for you. Your friends could say, "Doing that trick is practically suicide." The trick name "suicide" was quite fitting for a trick that causes you loads of pain.

So times change, turns out the stick release or rather "suicide" trick is just a beginning of it all. Now imagine someone having somebody to whack or spin a hurtful object around in place with lot of people. That's a huge risk of hurting the other people. You would not be hurting yourself anymore but other people as well. Quite fittingly "that's a genocide".  How about mini genocide? Smaller version of genocide yet still risk of hurting other people.

Infinite suicide then is quite logical it's just the same trick that goes on forever.

Integral then? The trick combos were not named until the Diabology dvd set came out. Integral is a mathematic term "of or denoted by an integer".  Mad frech posse who filmed the tricks were mathematics or computer science students so I'm guessing they named it so. Or does someone have a better theory?

«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 09:11:05 am »
This is based on how I have understood it based on talks with people who have been playing diabolo for a lot longer than me. I can't promise that this is 100% correct but I hope it gives some perspective.

To understand this better one must go back in time to before the change of millenium. To release or drop a stick while playing diabolo used to be a mistake. All of the tricks would be such that you hold the sticks and did throws, over the arms, grinds etc. Stick relesing tricks just didn't exist. People used heavier sticks usually made from wood, with no soft handles or such. Now to do a stick release with this equipment and this time would be both wrong and would hurt you quite a bit. And I guess lot of people can still relate since the sticks still tend to hurt even if we have lighter sticks and soft handles. Catching stick right would hurt, catching stick wrong would hurt like hell. Explaining a trick where you do sun but release the other sticks would be world of pain for you. Your friends could say, "Doing that trick is practically suicide." The trick name "suicide" was quite fitting for a trick that causes you loads of pain.

So times change, turns out the stick release or rather "suicide" trick is just a beginning of it all. Now imagine someone having somebody to whack or spin a hurtful object around in place with lot of people. That's a huge risk of hurting the other people. You would not be hurting yourself anymore but other people as well. Quite fittingly "that's a genocide".  How about mini genocide? Smaller version of genocide yet still risk of hurting other people.

Infinite suicide then is quite logical it's just the same trick that goes on forever.

Integral then? The trick combos were not named until the Diabology dvd set came out. Integral is a mathematic term "of or denoted by an integer".  Mad frech posse who filmed the tricks were mathematics or computer science students so I'm guessing they named it so. Or does someone have a better theory?
Thanks for your answer. It makes sense now. I practice alone, but yes playing infinite suicide or genocides close to people is a "suicide". About the integrals I thought about that meaning related to maths but I wasn´t really sure.  I´m a historian of art, so I´m really interested in history of the modern diabolo style. :)