Author Topic: Video of William! (from WJF)  (Read 10261 times)

Timtom

Video of William! (from WJF)
« on: February 20, 2006, 01:00:10 pm »
Hello everybody! (it's my first post! :D )

You waited all for that, it has just come: The videos of william wei-liang lin, the winner of the wjf diabolo competition this year are here:
http://www.thewjf.com/videos/william.html
I haven't seen them but I' m delighted!

Timtom

Sorry for my english...(one more! :D  :wink: )

frank0072

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 01:03:34 pm »
the links don't work on the site. Has anybody got the chance to download them already? can they be hosted elsewhere then?
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 01:04:14 pm »
Do any of the links work for you?  They seem to give 404 errors.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 01:05:33 pm »
I'm getting a 404 aswell. I was realy looking forward to seeing this guy diabolo aswell :(
Behind your back is your front.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 01:18:41 pm »
Don't worry, it's being sorted as we speak...

[UPDATE] Ok, its fixed.

Warning: They aren't brilliant. He has much much better stuff.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 01:32:43 pm »
They were nice. I wish there was more technical stuff rather than skipping and stuff like that.
Behind your back is your front.

Martijn

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 03:12:12 pm »
Nice, I can tell he's an awesome diabolist from his 2d smoothness and style. I'm really looking forward to see more and better stuff of him. Yet another very solid 3 diabolo juggler it seems!
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

frank0072

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 03:39:01 pm »
Wow, that little guy is really good. Do they breed special diabolo- children in the East or something? Just as they do with jugglers in Russia..

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 04:26:06 pm »
Quote from: frank0072
Wow, that little guy is really good. Do they breed special diabolo- children in the East or something? Just as they do with jugglers in Russia..
Yep, they're planted in special breeding grounds where they grow up eating with handsticks out of diabolo cups (ok, this exaggeration falls down abit as chinese style diabolos don't have "cups" persay).

But it's just a cultural thing.  Like being good at football, or drinking.  I'm not sure why, maybe they don't watch as much TV.  Can't wait to watch the clips though, haven't seen anything of this fellow.

Chiok
(unfortunately born in London)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Alex

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 04:40:19 pm »
Quote from: Chiok
Yep, they're planted in special breeding grounds where they grow up eating with handsticks out of diabolo cups (ok, this exaggeration falls down abit as chinese style diabolos don't have "cups" persay).

But it's just a cultural thing.  Like being good at football, or drinking.  I'm not sure why, maybe they don't watch as much TV.  Can't wait to watch the clips though, haven't seen anything of this fellow.

Chiok
(unfortunately born in London)

My friend is taught Chinese yo-yo at Chinese School.  It seems like it's very much a part of their culture.

Nice videos, the 3d especially.  He's got the same right-hand-dominant pattern that Yabe has.

frank0072

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 04:43:31 pm »
Quote from: Alex
Nice videos, the 3d especially.  He's got the same right-hand-dominant pattern that Yabe has.

quite obvious, they are grown on the same farm  :wink:

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 08:48:56 pm »
yeah, im gonna have to wholeheartedly agree with Norbi on this one...kind of underwhelming.

fredo

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 08:55:15 pm »
I like the look of his 3d shuffle (Yabe's is still better). the 2d really looks awesome and the 1d looks amazing for non-diabolists..But if you try to do this jump-moves, you'll recognize that it isn't that easy as it seems...

web

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 09:10:56 pm »
Yeah, well, I guess that's what you get when non diaboloists put up videos of diabolo.  Sure, being able to do six jump rope jumps under a diabolo is pretty cool, but it won't be what experienced diaboloists are looking for... Oh well.

Mike Webster

Arjan

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 10:50:44 pm »
Come on, jumping rope under a diabolo  :?  Is was only a bit shocked about his 3 diab stuff.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 11:16:21 pm »
Hey come on, he does jump-rope very well  :wink:

Alright, so those videos really didn't do him justice. But i assure you, he rocks. Maybe his tech skills arent what you expected, but they are better than that, and he makes up for it with unbelievable energy and style. I just really hope you get to see his WJF routine. Come to think of it now, there was A LOT of new stuff, but it was so so tight, just wait and see...

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 09:44:19 am »
Quote from: Alex

quite obvious, they are grown on the same farm  :wink:
William is from mainland China, isn't he?  It's nice to see the Chinese whoop the Japanese, for no other reason than Japan's dominance.

I'll believe that there are more stormy tricks that he's capable of.  The fact that he looks very comfortable with 3 and readjusting his shuffle belies that.  He also got the Yabe Armstall in there at the end too.  Someone send this kid a camera and a firewire card.  Why did he even turn up to a convention on the other side of the world? [1]

Chiok
[1] - the answer's gonna be he lives in the US and I'm gonna feel stupid...
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

juggleBG

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 02:07:26 pm »
I think he's from Tailand?  Norbi do you know?

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 03:29:59 pm »
Let me just check my address book...

Taipei County, Taiwan.

He went over because Ryo is his favourite diabolist and he wanted to meet him (probably would have been easier in Japan, but i guess he wanted to compete aswell).

He hopes to make it to Nottingham (for all you Europeans who want to know) although it costs a damn site more than it does to fly to Vegas.

As for the Ryo arm stall, he got out super cleanly in his routine. Oh another badass trick he did IN HIS ROUTINE was the 2 high skip whip thing (3401 maybe?).

Martijn

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 03:35:44 pm »
Quote from: norbi
Oh another badass trick he did IN HIS ROUTINE was the 2 high skip whip thing (3401 maybe?).

Yeah, he did that in one of the WJF convention clips. Priam's 3401 skip whipcatch trick right?
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl