Author Topic: Yo-yo and Kendama stuff  (Read 4191 times)

GbH

Yo-yo and Kendama stuff
« on: March 15, 2006, 06:42:50 pm »
A few things of possible interest...

-  I recently made a video (http://www.guyheathcote.com/Video/GbH_AnyOldMovie.wmv) for an on-line competition using a rather unusual 3-bearing yo-yo called a Miroc.  As you'll see, it has possibilities that are somewhat beyond that of conventional yo-yos.  But could this suggest a germ of an idea that could be used by diabolo players too?  To see more, check out www.yoyonation.com for the other entries, which tend to be rather more 'technical' than my own humble offering.

-  Also on the subject of yo-yos, there's going to be a small contest in Gloucester (UK) on the 26th March.  I suspect that there may be a few diabolos spinning too.  Details are at  http://www.extremespin.org/iceblade/Gloucester/.

-  Finally, out of the blue, I recently received an e-mail from Akinori Soga, a kendama player from Japan.  Apparently, he found my Kendama page and wanted to make contact.  He's promised to send me a DVD of Japanese kendama expertise which he'd like to be freely distributed, so as to promote this particular toy in the West.  As yet, I've not received it, so I've no idea (actually, I've got some idea...  :D ) what might be on it.  So, is anyone interested in seeing this?  Can anyone help spread the message to others?  I'll be at the BJC, so I should know more by then...

-  Oh yeah (finally something on-subject) I've finally started to get the hang of throwing a diabolo out of 3low.  It's only taken me 15 years ...  :oops:

Guy

Spooned

Re: Yo-yo and Kendama stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 08:58:50 pm »
Quote from: GbH
I suspect that there may be a few diabolos spinning too.  Details are at  http://www.extremespin.org/iceblade/Gloucester/.

Diabolo as in a competition or just a sort of meeting, thanks in advance.
Diabolo or Diablo

The Void

Re: Yo-yo and Kendama stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 09:22:19 pm »
A few things of possible interest...

-  I recently made a video (http://www.guyheathcote.com/Video/GbH_AnyOldMovie.wmv)

-  Finally, out of the blue, I recently received an e-mail from Akinori Soga, a kendama player from Japan.  Apparently, he found my Kendama page and wanted to make contact.  He's promised to send me a DVD of Japanese kendama expertise which he'd like to be freely distributed, so as to promote this particular toy in the West.  As yet, I've not received it, so I've no idea (actually, I've got some idea...  :D ) what might be on it.  So, is anyone interested in seeing this?  Can anyone help spread the message to others?  I'll be at the BJC, so I should know more by then...

[Edit: tech spasm]
Top stuff on the yo-yo movie. There's a whole lot of cross-prop fertilisation going on these days, so someone's sure to build a diabolo that works along those lines sooner or later.

Matt Hall will be at the BJC, and I'm guessing he may just have a passing interest. Adrian (cowprint clubs) was passing by this way last week, and he's into his Kendama at the moment. He'll also be at BJC.

Looking good for me to attend the Gloucester comp. I'll bring my diabolos.
There are no plans for any diabolo-based competitions at this meet, spooned, afaik.

The Void
Not yo-yo'd since November. Oops.
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: www.tlmb.net/tees

frank0072

Yo-yo and Kendama stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 09:43:26 pm »
Haha, how nice is that yoyo movie :), I have never seen yoyo movies before, being only on this forum and the Dutch diabolo forum. I really like it, and I like the style with the oldskool sound and looks.
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Matt_

• Donator
Yo-yo and Kendama stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 10:17:04 pm »
Guy, i would love to see that kendama video. how are you planning to distribute it, being that it's on DVD? perhaps to rip the video to Divx/mpeg/whatever and have that hosted somewhere? (on someone's mirror, or a torrent, or perhaps youtube [worst case scenario]).

GbH

Yo-yo and Kendama stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 11:03:07 pm »
A couple of quick answers...

Ste3void's correct (as far as I know) in that there will be no official diabolo competition at the Gloucester event.  I did actually suggest having such a contest, but, for whatever reason, (venue?  time?  support?) it doesn't appear to have been included.  I know, however, that other yo-yo events elsewhere in the world do now include diabolo contests, so it's not impossible that it might happen another time.  I guess that a future event organiser would need to know that there was a demand for it, too.  As it is, I'm expecting that a number of people that do both yo-yo and diabolo will be there.  Thus, the reason for posting the deatils here in the first place.  However, I've no idea about the total numbers likely to show up - there are comparatively few yo-yo players in the UK anyway, so it's unlikely to be anything on a large scale.

As for the kendama DVD, I've made no real plans at present, having yet to receive or see it for myself.  I don't even know how long it is.  I'm assuming (though I've yet to try it), I can burn a few single copies here at home and that I can make a few of those available, hopefully in time for the BJC in April.  Beyond that, well, I'll probably have to take some advice and also check with Akinori.  

Guy

Hoop

Yo-yo and Kendama stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 04:07:30 am »
Hi Guy,   I'd also be interested in seeing a copy of that DVD.  Your page pretty much got me going with kendama, so if you think the DVD is worth a look, I'll send shipping costs.  Thanks.

JoKo

Yo-yo and Kendama stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 07:13:31 pm »
Loved the video you know not every one can pull off a moustash grind. Yeah i would be intersted that Kendama Dvd.
Joe
Change combine ..... Go Go Baron Gong

Scooby

Yo-yo and Kendama stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 05:48:37 am »
all for the kendama video!!

but i live in australia.

sigh.
------------------------------------------------
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!
------------------------------------------------

stupendous

Yo-yo and Kendama stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 09:41:55 pm »
I know, however, that other yo-yo events elsewhere in the world do now include diabolo contests, so it's not impossible that it might happen another time.

Very true Guy!

I ran a diabolo ladder competition at the US National YoYo contets last year, and it was very well recieved and attended.  I hope to eventually have 3 minute freestyle competions  like we have for yoyos.  I know at the Japan National YoYo contest they have a diabolo freestyle competion and it is very competitive.
Spintatsics Diabolo Team