Author Topic: Mr. Babache Eagle diabolo  (Read 9003 times)

wooftang

Mr. Babache Eagle diabolo
« on: March 19, 2006, 11:52:37 am »
Mod edit - originally was "new mr babache eagle"
i was just wondering what anyone hear thinks of the mr babache eagle

JC

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 01:22:35 pm »
I think it is very heavy - 320g!
www.diabolonet.de - email to: diabolo-kits@web.de
MONOBOLOS, Henrys Circus, Vision and MB Finesse with round shaped axles

hammerhead

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 02:21:47 pm »

seán_

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 02:59:54 pm »
So is this a 'new' design/release or babache getting rid of old stock?

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 03:53:55 pm »
This diabolo is new ?! I bought one last year, it's nice but a bit too heavy, it might be a good diabolo for 2 diabolos but I never had the occasion to do it with an other one

Spooned

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 04:09:11 pm »
Quote from: www.firetoys.com
The hub is made from strong black plastic and is wide enough to accommodate finger grinds comfortably.

Those axles / hubs dont look very wide  :?, and didnt the mini MB diabolo have the little diples too, surely they cant make it go faster?
Diabolo or Diablo

Flo

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 04:42:37 pm »
Quote from: Spooned
Quote from: www.firetoys.com
The hub is made from strong black plastic and is wide enough to accommodate finger grinds comfortably.

Those axles / hubs dont look very wide  :?, and didnt the mini MB diabolo have the little diples too, surely they cant make it go faster?

they are right, finger grinds work with the "eagle". i have two of them and worked with them for a very long time(now i only use my 3 henrys circus). in my first video u can see me using them: http://www.jugglethis.net/filemgmt/singlefile.php?lid=298

But does a new version of the "eagle" exist? i haven't heard of it yet  :?

sparx
German Diabolo Forum: http://www.diabolotreff.de/

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 05:58:49 pm »
so what is the eagle like? kind of looks like a harlequin and a finesse had a threeway with a golfball....

Mr_Mistoffelees

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 06:08:00 pm »
It's new ? :S   My brother had one about 4 - 5 years ago which i've inherited, it's the diabolo that got me started...   *confusion :p*

eggy900

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 07:21:55 pm »
looks like a big version of the MB birdie, doubt i'll be getting one i'm quite happy with my finesse

wooftang

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 07:31:18 pm »
i thought it was new
its the first ive seen of it on firetoys
maybe its been around in america or somewhere i live in england :?

hammerhead

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 07:45:49 pm »
i want to know why it weighs so much if the parts are lightwieght :?

john_s

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 08:30:51 pm »
maybe if it is a new model, mr babache have just gone for the "heavier finesse" feel to make it more like a circus, as a lot of people (especially after using circuses) don't like finesses due to the light weight in comparison.

i don't understand the dimples though, either they have gone for the "giant birdie" look for aesthetic purposes or they really due have some kind of effect that helps the spin in some way. maybe someone with slightly more knowledge of the mechanics of diabolo spinning and that kind of thing would have a more knowledgeable answer?

/john

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 09:06:55 pm »
This is nothing new. I know Higgins Brothers has sold these in North America for as long as I can remember. The busker who got me interested in diaboloing some 18 years ago used (and still uses!) a model very similar to these.

The dimples are supposed to work the same way they do on golf balls, on some cycling helmets, or on some of the new swimming suits for example. They reduce air (or water) drag.

Maybe this will be of some help:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question37.htm
("Why do golf balls have dimples?")

I've tried these diabolos... they feel similar to harlequins with similar pros and cons. Don't forget the additional problem that these diabolos can be a pain to correct 2 or 3 diabolos with for some poeple because of the dimples.

[And now I'm going to go remove the word "new" from the thread subject. ;) ]

Sean

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 10:13:21 am »
I've been away from a computer for a while, so I've just seen this.

The Eagle definitely isn't new.  I think it came out before the Birdie and the Birdie was brought in as a "smaller model for kids".  Does resemble a Jumbo Harlequin in weight and size though.

Perhaps MB are ridding of old stock and some distributors have managed to snap up some boxes of them.  There's a nostalgic feel about them.

As for the dimples, yep, it's exactly like a golf ball.  The link Sean posted from the "New Age Encarta" explains it fairly well.  The dimples increase the roughness of the surface which during turbulant flow over the surface keep the flow attached for longer and reduce the viscous drag forces.

However this only applies if the objects travels above a certain speed and Reynold's number (the number escapes me at this moment).  I'm not sure a diabolo does reach those speeds, in which case the dimples just slow it down more.

The arrangement of the dimples also matters, but that's a different matter.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 04:09:33 pm »
The Eagle was the first Diabolo I ever saw (and bought)! This kinda brings back memories :D

It is very stable even in slow speeds but the holes makes controlling it a bit harder than any smooth surfaced Diabolo.

To tell you the truth, it´s not a good Diabolo unless you are a complete newbie. I´d go for a Diabig, Circus or Finesse if I were you.

Yann

Eagles
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 06:04:27 pm »
Just to clear up a bit: I came accross an eagle a while ago and wandered why it wasn't avaible properly in the UK so i asked around and it turned out that the babache diabolo range was so big the eagle was kind of left behind. After playing with it for a while i thought it shouldn't be excluded and i got a load in for Firetoys. I agree that its not the best diabolo ever made but its the biggest jumbo available (the Performer is classed as a super jumbo before you all attack me with handsticks) whilst not too heavy. Its true the dimples probably don't make it spin any faster but they don't really get in the way either (you get used to the thruming corrections with 2D). I agreee the description was a little confusing and the Eagle is definately not a newbie to the scene. I've updated the site which should clear up matters... I'm a circus man myself, but i've definately got a sweet spot for the old eagle...

ThatOneKid

Re: Mr. Babache Eagle diabolo
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 04:30:02 am »
this was my first diabolo and it is a great one to have!!! highly recominded

NiekG

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 09:08:57 am »
this was my first diabolo and it is a great one to have!!! highly recominded
Lol, was that worth reopening a 3 year old topic for? xD
Meh,

Tipper

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 02:17:13 pm »
Lol, was that worth reopening a 3 year old topic for? xD

apparently it was? xD
Error 404 - Siteswap not found

Johnny

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 02:40:48 pm »
My I have 2 eagles.
I like it, but its a little bit to heavier for my because because i'm not so strong.
I will buy 2 sundia sun 265g because they are very good  ;D
If we forgot they are to heavier, they are very good for 2 diabolos but not for 3   :) ;D

Thanks

Mario

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 06:43:48 pm »
looks kind of ugly with the little holes. Surely they get dirty very fast...

Tobi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 08:14:33 pm »
Maby the holes look ugly but its a phisical fact that this little ugly holes are more aerodynamic (it means thet the wind-friction is lower ---> so the diabolo spins longer (theoreticly))

(sorry for my english i hope u understood it !! )

Johnny

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 12:26:02 am »
No this is 300 g !!!

4leek24

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 02:20:59 am »
Maby the holes look ugly but its a phisical fact that this little ugly holes are more aerodynamic (it means thet the wind-friction is lower ---> so the diabolo spins longer (theoreticly))

(sorry for my english i hope u understood it !! )

anyone watch mythbusters? on one episode they covered a car with those holes and proved it to be more aredynamic and fuel efficient. i guess it applies for diabolo too, so spins longer, with less energy maybe?

EvIlAlEkSi

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2009, 05:40:07 pm »
My friend bought an eagle from his cousin I tried it and it didnt seem that heavy to me I use a circus (300g) so it didn't feel that heavy it's not "great" and the other diabolo's from Mr.Babache atleast the ones i've tried (Finesse,Arlequin/Harlequin,Arlequin medium,Rubber king,Vision) are all better even the arlequin medium but thats just my opinion.Oh and it's really ugly my friend has a dark green one and the hole's aren't really helping. Btw this topic is 3 years old? Is grave digging (posting in a topic that hasn't been active in a long time)allowed at diabolo.ca

seán_

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 05:22:51 am »
Btw this topic is 3 years old? Is grave digging (posting in a topic that hasn't been active in a long time)allowed at diabolo.ca
Lets just say it's not encouraged. It bumps down current threads for one thing.
Bring up an old thread if you have a good reason to and remember it's always better to post in an existing thread than to create a new one (so we keep info in one place and don't reinvent the wheel everytime someone posts)