Author Topic: How much do you spend during a convention  (Read 4220 times)

Eduardo

How much do you spend during a convention
« on: December 07, 2004, 01:47:39 pm »
I'm considering saving some money to go to a big european convention like the BJC or the EJC, possibly in 2005 or 2006, besides the airplane tickets, with food, drinks, transport from airport to the event site and the event registration fee?
I just need to have an idea, I heard its about 300 dollars...

Tahia

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 02:58:30 pm »
yes it's probably the price :x  too expensive... but it's the price...

seán_

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 03:43:10 pm »
Well the BJC registration this year is £60 (£50 pounds if you register before feb 15)

Accomodation is camping so you cut down on costs that way. When I went to the last one I got by on noodles, beans and tins of tuna etc. Tea, coffee and a bottle of whisky to deal with camping in the UK at that time of year :) so call that another £30 to eat (and drink) for 4 days (bit more if you are a heavy drinker :) but probably able to get by on less)

There are some hotels nearby but you are looking at paying as much money for a night in them as you pay for the actual convention.

I'm not to sure how much it would cost to get from the airport to perth but information should be available from the organisers as well as information on the availability of food shops and local takeaways.

http://www.bjc2005.co.uk/

All you need is your juggling stuff, some warm clothes and a good sleeping bag, some camping stuff, your duty free booze and the ability to juggle for four days straight :D (budget some money to buy props when you are at conventions, there are often good deals)

I met a Brazillian at the BJC2004 in Derby, I have forgotten his name but other people told me he goes to a lot of European conventions. Maybe asking on brazillian juggling forums could help you get in touch with him, he could probably give you the best information.

The UK can be expensive but it can be quite cheap, I would expect it to be cheaper in Slovenia but I have never been to an EJC so I cant help you there.

Barnesy and Luke Burrage have been to more conventions than everyone else I know so hopefully they should be able to give you a better idea of costs.

Seán_

el_grimley

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 08:59:37 pm »
The EJC is ace.

I did the Denmark (Svenbourg) on £190 including all food and transport from my home in the UK. £100 of it was transport, reg was £50 the rest was food. I didn't drink or buy any new toys. But I had a really good time.

France (Carvin) was done a £250 budget which I did not spend all of and ate very well. Transport was £70 and I must have spent about £35 on food and drink. I also bought some new toys.  However we did have to buy a second 'pass' for that convention as my brothers got swipped. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Both these cost are the individual contribution between me and my brother, its always cheaper if you are buying for two.  So keep that in mind.

If your flying from the states it might actually be cheaper to fly out here on a major airline then swap over to one of a cheapo services that we have in europe or even get the coach (thats how I got to France). Have a look at the websites for easyjet, eurolines (national express) and ryan air.

Sometime traveling in a group is cheaper, so try an organise to meet up with some other juggglers (was very handy in Denmark). Eric from google (I have no idea how to contact him but he is quite well known in the juggling world) is a regular at the european conventions he flys from San Fran most years so should have some tips how to do it on the cheap.

Also try rec.juggling as there must be a fair few yanks and canadians that will have some tips on keeping costs down.

Graham
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 10:33:20 pm »
I end up overspending at most conventions, but then I tend to just decide I'm on holiday so it doesn't matter!  Once you've got there, and have paid to get in, you can keep costs down by camping and by cooking for yourself or as part of a group rather than eating from the on site caterers.  It can all be done for very little money if you plan it a bit.

Arjan

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 10:46:16 pm »
Indeed, I haven`t lot`s of experience with conventions, but if you plan it all good, you should be able to do it on low budget. Bring some food with you always! If you can, beer!  :lol:

el_grimley

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 12:10:21 pm »
I dissagree about taking food with you. It depends where you are going. Obviously the first nights food is a must but after that its more than likley cheaper in the country you are visiting (especially when coming from the UK) Also you have to consder baggage allowances to a certain extent. Also it gives you a chance to eat a bit different to what you would camping or cooking at home.

Graham
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.

Eduardo

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 02:55:27 pm »
Thanks for the replies people, now I know how much I need to save :)