Author Topic: Pros and Cons of Equip  (Read 6300 times)

cdw06

Pros and Cons of Equip
« on: December 09, 2004, 04:59:01 am »
I just wanted to start a post on peoples Pros and Cons on the most popular equip. The Gear I would personally like to know about are as follows:

Diabolo's:
MB Finesse
Henrys Circus

Stick's:
Aluminum
Fiberglass
Carbon Fiber

String's:
You list your favorite (please be specific with diam, brand, and size)
"Death would be an awfully big adventure" - Peter Pan

Effingc

Pros and Cons of Equip
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 06:19:42 am »
Well cdw06, sometimes I say I like Henrys Circus diabolos the best just to keep people off my back. Really I spend most time with a diabolo like this
http://diabolofolie.free.fr/photo3.htm

3 times the axles = 3 times the fun :P

That or a fire diabolo. Whoohooo FIRE!!! yeeha

Some folks have written about this in the equipment sticky at the top of the forum and most people have listed their favorite diabolos, sticks, and string in their introductions.

Intriguing, no?

Tom_G

Pros and Cons of Equip
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 09:07:24 am »
Quote from: Effingc
3 times the axles = 3 times the fun :P

Whoa... I've never seen a diabolo like that before. Care to send in a video of you (or someone else) using it? That would be cool!  :D
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

Martijn

Pros and Cons of Equip
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 02:27:32 pm »
Yeah, I'm very curious! Show us some three-axle-diabolo stuff! :D
download Made in Taiwan at www.arjangroenendijk.nl

seán_

Pros and Cons of Equip
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 02:43:51 pm »
Effingc, when you said in your introduction (Yes I know you all :) )
8. Do you like working with 1, 2, or 3 diabolos the best?
One mostly but I can do plenty with two (three is for europeans )

I didn't realise you meant three axles.

I'd love to see some of the stuff your working on as well. I'm guessing arm grinds and double stick grinds are going to make up  some of your moves? Or am I on the wrong track

Seán_ (intrigued)

diabololi

Pros and Cons of Equip
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 02:47:12 pm »
Wow! Where did you get that diabolo! It looks cool but I don't see any use!

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
Pros and Cons of Equip
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 02:51:41 pm »
Quote from: diabololi
Wow! Where did you get that diabolo!

Isn't it a Flare with too many middle bits?

Arjan

Pros and Cons of Equip
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 04:46:41 pm »
LOL! I seen that diabolo somewhere before...

Movies!!!

Effingc

Pros and Cons of Equip
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 05:12:03 pm »
Mark, who I met in Goa, has some footage of me with my favorite 3 axled diabolo. You out there Mark? Hi Mark! :D I don' t have a video camera. Cameras are hard to come by in this part of the land.

Besides, I would only want to post videos when I have a trick perfect (unlike some people! Ouch, burn! :P )

Most tricks you do with a normal (inferior) diabolo can be done with the triple axle version. You can switch the string around from axle to axle. Putting the string on the outside axles makes the diabolo turn. Something about gyrocopsic properties or something. Do I have that word right? Oh well, I don't care. :)

Double stick grinds are possible, as is the crowd pleaser: "The flaming 3 finger grind of death"  :twisted:  but that involves fire too (woo fire!).

Sean

• Administrator
Pros and Cons of Equip
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 05:39:14 pm »
Besides, I would only want to post videos when I have a trick perfect (unlike some people! Ouch, burn! :P )

Effingc, personally I like seeing all people's videos... even if they don't have the trick perfect yet. ;)

I'd love to see some video too. I see that Mark is an Aussie (you said so in your introduction), it would be great to get Mark on the forum!

Sounds like the 3 axled diabolo could be like the one sided diabolo where you have to keep walking in circles and the faster it goes the faster you have to walk. Interestingly, I suppose with the 3 axled diabolo you could decide to change directions.

Sean

MattF

Pros and Cons of Equip
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 06:41:30 pm »
that axel if crazy. Let me ask you this though, i understand that if you have a wrap around one of the side axels, it turns the diabolo, but does it tip the cups also?

seán_

Pros and Cons of Equip
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 07:00:41 pm »
I think it might work like this

think about a gyoscope, when its on its side it will turn.

because a normal diabolo has two weights each counter acts the turning moment.

with the offset axle you get a turning moment because their is more weight to one side than the other. the turn should be quite slow and not as tricky as a one wheeler. and the tilt should be minimal

Does this make sense, it does for me but I haven't used a trip axle.
Effingc care to elaborate, or Sean seems to have some thoughts on this.

It would be usefull on stage especially 'in the round' type situations

barnesy

• Administrator
Pros and Cons of Equip
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 07:08:00 pm »
It makes me wonder how well you could correct two of those by picking which axle you use.  I'd like to try it anyway.

And yes Dave, I reckon it does look like three flare axles stuck together.  That's got to be heavy!

seán_

Pros and Cons of Equip
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 07:14:33 pm »
If you took two normal finesse axles and put them either side of a finger axle (or even a third normal axle) using the right length bolts you might have a more manageable weight

Seán_ (of to find his old axles)

MattF

Pros and Cons of Equip
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 07:44:33 pm »
ok the carbon fibre sticks can sometimes have problems (as experienced very recently by me) the knot can get pulled through the stick and get stuck half way. A lot of force can be used to solve this problem if it happens. Also try tieing a bigger knot in the string  :roll: or use beads to stop it altogether